Oxfam in Algeria – Sahrawi Refugee Camps
Oxfam in Algeria has been active in the Saharawi refugee camps in Tindouf since 1975. Oxfam’s programme in the camps involves a combination of humanitarian (focusing on WASH and Food Security) and resilience interventions with policy and influencing work locally and globally.
Oxfam has recently developed a series of new projects with complex operations involving diversified and large-scale procurement including water storage and supply equipment, agricultural products and technology, food supplies and procurement of sophisticated consultancy services. Additionally, it recently expanded its presence in the camps and established 5 sub-offices to support the projects.
The markets in the Sahrawi camps and the city of Tindouf are limited which requires resorting to procurements through the wider Algerian and international markets to secure certain items/supplies.
Oxfam in Algeria is seeking a Human Resource and Administration Officer to join its team in the Sahrawi camps and lead the HR support for the programme. The HR and Amin Officer will report to the Operations Manager and will work closely with the project leads.
To provide HR and administration support. This position will be responsible for daily maintaining and implementation of HR and admin processes/systems (i.e. payroll, recruitment, leave balance, etc) for Oxfam operations in accordance with Oxfam policies and procedures. S/he will report regularly on all Algeria office admin and HR activities to the Finance and Support Manager (operations manager).
Recruitment and Induction:
• Support in identifying personnel needs within Oxfam’s operation including Contractors and Volunteers, in addition to managing local recruitments including advert, collecting CVs, screening, administrating written tests and setting for panel interviews.
• Support in the write up and review of relevant job profiles where needed; as well as clarifying existing job profiles.
• Maintain the recruitment/capacity planner for all staff, contractors and volunteers.
• Present and explain contract terms and the content of Internal regulation to newly recruited personnel.
• Ensure all new staff are given a proper induction and handed out all necessary relevant documentation.
• Ensure that job offers are sent out to candidates in a timely manner as per Oxfam’s salary scale, and answer any related query if need be.
HR Database Administration
• Preparation of monthly payroll
• Ensure keeping the HR database up-to-date at all times
• Provide monthly HR Management Information reports as required
• Provide monthly information to managers on end of probation dates and end of contract dates
• Ensure all personnel files are up to date and properly filled as per Oxfam standards
• Ensure that performance management processes are known to managers and staff and implemented.
• Follow up with managers on all aspects of the performance management cycle: setting goals, giving feedback, addressing poor performance, interim review and annual review.
Learning and Development
• Discuss with managers training needs for groups and individuals and support in organising training (within budget limits)
• Lead on setting up country training plan, based on annual performance reviews
• Provide information on L&D opportunities, including courses available on-line (E-learning), information on managing people in Oxfam
• Assist in organising workshops on Managing People at Oxfam
• Assist in ensuring procedures for medical care, comprehensive hospitalisation and/or medical evacuation are in place and known to staff.
• Liaise with medical care providers to ensure good quality of service is provided
• Have regular meetings with staff to check if any welfare issues need to be addressed
Health and Safety
• Assist in ensuring that minimum health and safety requirements are being adhered to
• Collect monthly health & safety report, combine and send monthly health & Safety report to management.
• Support all managers on managing of staff health and welfare, and coordinating any staff health and welfare issues and evacuations if needed
Employee and Workplace Relations
• Support with employee relations’ cases including grievances, disciplinary procedures, performance issues, redundancies, dismissals.
Personnel, Compensation and Benefits:
• Support the team on interpretation of the Oxfam Staff handbook and Oxfam HR policies and practices and support in any necessary review process.
• Follow-up cost of living on a regular basis.
• Ensure staff timesheets and leaves requests are managed properly and timely.
• Ensure exit process are managed properly in coordination with line managers and concerned departments.
HR General Management and Administration:
• In co-ordination together with the Operations Manager, prepare and issue contracts for staff as per Oxfam’s standards
• Act as a focal point for any support/advice on HR related matter including employee relations, grievances.
• Support Managers in building the capacity of HR colleagues in governorates as relevant and in personal areas of expertise.
• Gather information/reports on HR activities in governorates and submit progress reports to Operations Manager on regular basis.
• Ensure adherence to local law in all aspects of HR practices, and provide colleagues with advice when necessary in relation to legal compliance.
• Participate in the planning of the HR & Admin Department’s plans, activities and objectives.
• Support the Operations Manager in statistical and analytical reports on the monthly activities and recommend actions/solutions for more efficiency and better management and compliance.
• Follow up all expiring rental contract dates and inform the Operations Manager in order to leave enough time to arrange a renewal or look for some other alternative.
• Follow-up on all expiry dates of existing MoU and report to the Operations Manager when agreements need to be extended
• Follow-up on the medical insurance contract and ensure all staff are subscribed
• Ensure all medical bills as managed on timely manner and as per confidentiality principles
• Write and/or check official letters, reports and other documents.
• Oversee all staff accommodation and facilities are well equipped, clean and regular maintenance is carried out
• Stay up-to date with all visa requirements are adhered to as per local legislation
• Ensure the implementation of tracking systems to monitor the utilisation of stationary and other consumables within the Oxfam Office and apartments
• Coordinate with the logistics officer on regular utility payments, purchases and supplies.
• Help to organize internal and external events (meetings, presentations, etc) in sending invitations, ordering the catering, arranging accommodation, etc.
• Support the Operations Manager in preparing internal communications
• Act as back-up for other team members as required in case of absence or in personal areas of expertise.
Experience / Training
- 3 – 5 years of experience in: HR, administration, general administration or office management.
- University Degree or equivalent experience in management or related fields.
- Good understanding of core HR/Amin functions
- Familiarity with donor rules and guidelines.
- Ability to plan, prioritise and organise work
- Anticipates outcome of activities and takes initiative to achieve targets
- Actively promotes high standards and continuous improvement
- Continually seeks out most efficient use of resources
- Pro-actively adapts and improves standards and working practices
- Able to advise and train on specialist skills to other departments / teams
- Excellent communication skills in written and oral English and Arabic – (French and/or Spanish would be an asset).
- Proven ability to organise work effectively and supporting others
- Attention to detail, highly numerate and computer literate, including word processing, databases/ spreadsheet use.
- Solid understanding and convictions of a rights-based approach and gender, and experience in the NGO.
- Experience of working with technical teams to develop complex proposals
- High analytical/negotiating/communication/inter-personal skills
- Ability to make effective, timely decisions and take prudent risks
- Ability to work within a multicultural, multilingual, and multidisciplinary environment and to work effectively with others in a team across institutional boundaries and business units.
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to cultural differences and gender issues, as well as the commitment to equal opportunities.
- Ability to demonstrate an openness and willingness to learn about the application of gender/gender mainstreaming, women’s rights, and diversity for all aspects of development work.
- Commitment to Oxfam’s safeguarding policies to ensure all people who come into contact with Oxfam are as safe as possible.
- Place of work: Tindouf (South Algeria),
- Gross salary: competitive salary adapted to the organization’s salary grid.
- 12 months full-time contract, renewable depending on obtaining new funding
- Start date : asap
How to apply
If you believe your qualifications meet the requirements, please send a CV and a covering letter explaining
your suitability against the essential criteria in the job profile to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 24, 2020.
This is a position for Algerian nationals. Sahrawi candidates are encouraged to apply.
Due to the volume of applications we receive, regrettably, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted usually within 3 weeks of the closing date.