Created in 1979, Action contre la Faim is a non-governmental organization that fights against hunger. Its charter of humanitarian principals- independence, neutrality, non-discrimination, free and direct access to victims, professionalism, transparency – has been part of its identity for more than 40 years. Its mission is to save lives by eliminating hunger through the prevention, detection and treatment of under-nutrition, particularly during and after emergency situations linked to conflicts or natural disasters. Action contre la Faim focuses its actions on 5 main areas of expertise: Nutrition and Health – Mental Health and Care Practices, Gender and Protection – Food Security and Livelihoods – Water, Sanitation and Hygiene – Advocacy. In 2019, Action contre la Faim provided aid to 17 million people in more than 49 countries worldwide. www.actioncontrelafaim.org
We are looking for: AN ACCESS & SECURITY COORDINATOR – LIBYA
The situation in Libya continues to deteriorate. The ongoing conflict continues to break down the infrastructure and systems of a country already heavily affected by conflict since the downfall of Ghaddafi in 2011. Today nearly one million people out of a population of 6.6 Million have sort of significant humanitarian need. Of that population in need only 300,000 have so far been reached in 2019; with particularly significant holes in the provision of health care (primarily for a resident population) and protection (primarily for migrants and refugees). Humanitarian operations in the country are both difficult to operate and significantly underfunded (with only 70 million dollars of the 200 million dollars requested in this year HRP now funded – and the US / EU making up 75% of that funding). In this increasingly complex environment with increasing needs, Action Against Hunger seeks to bring its’ expertise to Libya over the next year; to build an effective and sustainable presence to help the most vulnerable in this forgotten country.
You will join a small team to set up a new mission and be able to take initiative, reporting directing to the Country Director.
Length of contract: 3 months, starting as soon as possible (15th of October)
You will put in place the safety and security management systems, raise awareness and establish protocols to ensure the safety of ACF in Libya and Tunisia.
More precisely, you will be in charge of:
- Define and implement ACF security management system
- Design ACF humanitarian access strategy
- Train and make ACF staff aware of security environment, procedures and rules
- Management of the security team
Do you fit with the position?
- You already worked in insecure context and have at least 3 years of experience in safety and security practices and issues affecting aid work globally,
- You have experience and knowledge of personnel and organizational security issues, threat/risk assessment, security management and security and awareness in an insecure environment,
- You have the qualification to build and lead a team to establish a base in a hazardous context, and you already have previous experience in setting up programming and bases.
- You are autonomous, able to easily create network and experienced in external representation, external coordination and are able to represent ACF.
- If you already worked in Middle east or north Africa it would be considered as an asset
- If you already worked with ACF and are familiar with our process it would be considered as a plus
- You are flexible and able to adapt quickly to fast pace complex dynamics and changing context, you have cultural sensitivity and experience working in conflict sensitive areas. You are able to adapt to needs and balance demands of beneficiary and security actors while maintaining appropriate contextual NGO security advice and coordination.
- You should be able to travel to both Tunisia and Libya and be flexible to adapt to different phase of development first based in Paris, then Tunis and finally Libya.
- Fluency in English written/spoken is compulsory as well as French and Arabic if possible
Unique experience to build the access strategy of a mission, in an evolving and dynamic context
Status: 3 months extendable provided by ACF according to the French legislation.
Remuneration and benefits :
- Monthly gross salary from 2400€ to 2800€ upon experience.
- Country allowance 450€
- Per diem and living allowance: net, field paid.
- + 16% of monthly gross salary as reimbursement of retirement insurance for non-French citizen.
- + Child allowance, limited to 5 children.
Transportation and accommodation:
- Coverage of transportation costs to and in the mission.
- Individual room in guesthouse covered
Medical coverage: 100% coverage of medical expenses + repatriation insurance.
Leaves and RnR:
- 25 days of paid leaves per year.
- + 20 RnR per year.
- + 215 € at each RnR period (averagely every 3 months).
- Coverage of the transportation expenses to the RnR area of reference
- Free and unlimited access to the certifying e-learning platform Crossknowledge ©.
- Technical trainings at HQ or regional level (averagely 1 per year).
- Opportunity of coaching or mentorship.
- Participation to external trainings costs upon eligibility of the request.
How to apply
To apply, please visit our website: https://recrutement.actioncontrelafaim.org/index.php/fr/offre/5017