UR recruits 01 Program Advisor
URBAN REFUGEES (UR) is a French NGO whose mission is to support initiatives led by refugees in urban areas of low and middle-income countries: www.urban-refugees.org
Although these initiatives, implemented by self-help groups created and run by refugees, are often very effective, sustainable and inexpensive, they are not widely recognized nor meaningfully supported.
To remedy this situation, UR has set up:
- A capacity building program in urban areas: Urban Refugees Incubation Program (URIP) through which we provide technical (in the form of training) and financial support to refugee self-help groups;
- an advocacy strategy to recognize these groups as key actors in humanitarian response; and
- an information-sharing program to improve support to refugee populations in cities.
The URIP program has been operating since 2019 in Kampala, Uganda after a successful pilot program in Malaysia. UR is currently entering a scaling phase through a strategy of dissemination of its methodology.
In close collaboration with the Head of Mission based in Kampala, the Program Advisor will:
- Support the overall implementation of the capacity building program
- Develop the Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning process
- Participate in fundraising activities and relations with local and international partners and headquarters
Within this framework, the Program Advisor’s duties and responsibilities will include:
Program and Strategy development:
- Provide technical support and guidance in defining and implementing the country-program strategy
- Contribute to the improvement and uniformisation of the URIP toolkit : updating, creating and adjusting the training modules
- Coordinate with team members to ensure high-quality implementation of activities, in compliance with donors requirements and accountability to beneficiaries
- Ensure the collection and compilation of key lessons and program outputs (good practices, challenges and lessons learned)
- Creating and maintaining comprehensive project documentation, plans, and reports of the activity
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning :
- Work closely with the field team to support the analysis of the collected data for monitoring and evaluation
- Proactively identify opportunities to improve UR MEAL systems and processes
- Support in designing quantitative and qualitative monitoring and evaluation and needs assessment tools (focus group discussions, key informant interviews, household/individual surveys, participatory M&E activities, observational monitoring, etc.) and methodologies when needed.
- Identify new indicators and develop a clear monitoring framework to track progress of the program
- Regularly undertake field monitoring visits for data collection (household interviews, pre- and post- assessments, focus group discussions etc.). Maintain an effective monitoring and planning system, which informs reporting and project design, ensuring accurate information is collected and analysed for all program components and the effective implementation of the M&E plan
- Generate and review information integration of best practices in project activity implementation
- Use M&E data, innovations and evidence collected from ongoing and past projects for preparing new projects concepts and for advocacy use
Partnerships & fundraising :
- Take part in the creation and maintenance of relationships with stakeholders and partners in Uganda and in the region: donors, governments, local and international NGOs
- Support the Fundraising Advisor and other team members in the drafting of high-quality funding proposals
- Prepare and develop templates for funding requests
- Work with the relevant team members to prepare and edit narrative reports to donors
- Conduct the identification of the funding needs of the UR projects, in line with the UR Strategy
Expériences / Formation
We strongly encourage refugees to apply for this offer.
- Master’s degree in development studies, social science, international relations, business administration or other relevant field
- Minimum 4-5 years of experience implementing humanitarian programs/operations
- Extensive M&E knowledge and experience
- Proven experience in proposal writing
- Proven experience in Project Management
- Cultural sensitivity and ability to work in a wide variety of cultural contexts
- Excellent teamwork skills
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Fluency in English is required (reading/writing/speaking)
- Advanced IT skills
- Ability to work with minimum or no supervision
- Ability to work under pressure
Highly appreciated :
- Knowledge of the East African Refugee context (especially Kampala and Nairobi) and previous experience in the region
- Experience in capacity building programs
- Knowledge of the refugee-response
- Experience with Community-Based Organizations
- Knowledge of French is an asset
- Strategic thinking and leadership skills: You know how to identify and exploit opportunities to develop effective strategies and tactical coalitions
- You are flexible, versatile, and adaptable. You are creative and able to bounce back quickly from changing political and/or structural contexts
- You have strong analytical, synthesizing, writing and persuasive skills
- You are organized, autonomous, constructive and dynamic, and enjoy working with a wide variety of actors and tasks
- You are driven by the desire to bring about systemic, democratic and inclusive change
Conditions for this position will be considered based on your profile and experience.
Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Job Application – Program Advisor
- CV of maximum 2 pages
- 1 page cover letter including your salary expectations – Answering the question: According to you, what is the best strategy to enable Refugee Led- Organizations to become key actors in the humanitarian response to the urban refugee crisis ?
If your application is selected, you’ll be invited to take a written test followed by an online interview.