Position Start Date: 01.07.2020
Duration: 08 months
Location: Erbil, with frequent travels to field bases
Terre des hommes does not set closing dates for this position; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled
Terre des hommes Foundation (Tdh) is the leading Swiss child relief organization, based in Lausanne (Switzerland). Every year our projects support more than 2 million children (3 million in 2016) and their families in over 35 countries. We are part of the Terre des hommes International Federation (TDHIF), with 9 other sister organizations in Switzerland, Europe and Canada.
In 2015, Tdh launched an integrated emergency WaSH, Child Protection and NFI response, following several waves of IDPs resulting from military operations to free Shirgat districts, as well as the South Mossul Corridor.
Tdh with its 300 staff employees is currently implementing a 12 Million CHF emergency and rehabilitation Program, throughout the country in Bagdad, Ninewa, Salah ad-Din, Anbar and Kirkuk Governorates.
The Deputy CR is responsible for the overall management and development of programs activities implemented in Iraq and includes direct supervision of the Logistics, Administrative/Finance, HR and Compliance units. As a part of the Senior management Team, S/he ensures the monitoring of qualitative and operational aspects of the delegation’s programs and ensures smooth functioning of each support units and provides improvements when appropriate.
Supervision on Programs design and implementation, ensuring programs are established and monitored timely and effectively.
- He/ She ensures that programs are properly carried out.
- He/ She alerts the Country Representative for delays associated with a program and proposes adaptations and changes.
- He/ She supervises and improve the formal coordination system on the field.
- He/ She ensures that personnel, financial and logistical resources are meeting needs, especially within the framework of new project suggestions, in coordination with the support staff.
- When new operations are outlined, he/ she ensures that operational means are well defined in order to allow for the program and its subsequent monitoring to be well carried out.
- He/ She ensures that departmental action plans are effectively carried out and monitored and are on track to achieve the results defined within the framework of program under his/ her responsibility.
- He/ She ensures that practices respect Tdh’s procedures and formats, while actively supporting logistic and administrative monitoring of the delegation.
Supervision of Programs monitoring & evaluation / ensuring quality protocol is implemented
- He/ She coordinates with the M&E Department to ensure that program implementation is in line with the quality protocol.
- He/ She participates to the design of Assessment plans that capture quantitative and qualitative data to report on all indicators in programs, including: needs assessment, baseline and impact surveys.
Ensuring the technical monitoring of the mission
- With the support of the Technical Advisors, He/ She ensures the compliance of technical practices with the mandate and operations policy of Tdh.
- He/ She ensures that the strategy of the mission and the programs complies with the technical frameworks of the association.
Management and supervision of Program teams, national and expat
- He/ She effectively manages and supervises a cultural diversified team of Coordinators, guaranteeing a smooth function as an integrated team of professionals.
- He/ She supports the Country Representative in the design and implementation of the organizational structure, participating in the definition of roles and responsibilities functional to the execution of the strategy and the programs.
- He/She ensures and/or supervises the continued training of the local and international member of his/her team.
- He/ She creates the operational action plan in the area which he/she is responsible for in accordance with the objectives defined in the mission’s annual programming.
- He/ She writes and authorizes relevant job descriptions which he/ she submits for approval to his/ her superior. He/ She carries out or delegates personnel interviews. He/ She contributes to work meetings, mediates potential conflicts, defines priorities and activity schedules.
Providing direction and monitoring to each Support Unit (Logistics, HR, Admin/Finance)
- Ensure that each unit’s coordinators set priorities and objectives along with action plans and clear guidance.
- Ensure and document that Tdh procedures are applied at all times/levels.
- Ensure and facilitate efficient and effective coordination between the different support units.
Risk management and compliance
- In collaboration with the Support Coordinators, ensure logistics, administrative, financial and HR procedures are in compliance with donor regulations.
- Ensure timely roll-out and implementation of Tdh procedures and policies at national level.
- In close collaboration with HQ support dept., with consideration of the specific context of Tdh in Iraq, draft new/revise policies and procedural documents as required; work closely with coordinators to ensure that proposed policies have been reviewed at field level and have incorporated feedback and recommendations.
- Conduct a regular cycle of spot checks and internal audit/self-evaluation process to ensure compliance and propose action plans accordingly
- Ensure the best implementation of Tdh Risk Management Policies in Iraq such anti-Fraud/Corruption Policy, Whistle Blowing Policy, cash policy amongst others
Supervise the logistical and administrative monitoring for all the programs
- Supporting the CR, He/ She makes sure that logistical, administrative and financial procedures are established, and alerts the coordination team if gaps are observed in order to take corrective action.
- He/ She supervises the correct use of infrastructures and the mission’s equipment and assets.
- He/ She supervises the Logistics Department to ensure that field bases (offices and residences) have the minimum equipment necessary for the work.
Ensuring the circulation of information and the representation of Tdh
- He/ She ensures information is efficiently and timely communicated between the field and the coordination office.
- At the request of his/her superior, he/she participates in coordination meetings and is an active attendee of these meetings.
- He/ She may be responsible for external communication, and more specifically with the media, if requested by the Country Representative.
Participating to the supervision and development of the mission
- He/ She keeps his/ herself informed of changes in the humanitarian and political context in his/her area of intervention, while sharing relevant information internally.
- He/ She suggests to his/ her superior to identify needs and participates in the identification of these needs, if necessary.
- He/ She suggests new operations to the coordination team and is directly involved in the project design with support of the technical coordinators.
- He/ She participates in the organizational development and growth of the mission by securing close contact with bilateral and multilateral donors/funding agencies.
Definition and revision of Operational Strategy
- With the support of the Technical Coordinators and Project Managers, the contribution of the Support Departments and under the supervision of the Counry Representative, He/ She is in charge for the definition and formalization of the Operational Strategy and the Work Plan; continuous adaptations is done during the year to guarantee the execution of the Program, according to context and operational needs.
- He/ She monitors changing humanitarian needs and suggests new operations to his/her superior.
- He/ She participates in preparing a mission Strategy involving local and international teams by encouraging reflection workshops.
- He/ She ensures that the programs’ strategies respect the values of the Foundation.
- 5 years of previous experience at managerial level in multi-donor/multi-projects humanitarian intervention, as Dept.Manager/Deputy Head of Mission, or higher
- Strong experience in projects and programs design and management, with proven experience in the implementation of multi-programs interventions
- Knowledge of and previous working experience with the main humanitarian and development International Donors (ECHO, OFDA, DFID, UE, UN Agencies…).
- Proven experience of INGOs representation with National Authoritities and International Donors representatives, into clusters or one-to-one meetings.
- Sound experience in the leadership and direct management of expatriates’ muticultural teams.
- Very strong organizational skills, capacity to operate in autonomy, proactive approach to work and initiative, respect of strict deadlines, capacity to manage large volumes of work with a methodic approach
- Proficient in the use of Project Management Tools, PMP Certification an advantage
- Results-oriented attitude
- Resistence to stress and capacity to work into an unstable and volatile context
- Excellent English (both oral and written), Kurdish and Arabic an advantage
Expatriate contract under Swiss regulations 3’400 CHF (~2’950 €) < > 4’750 CHF (~4’100 €) net /month according to experience x 13 times, Vacancy: 25 days annual leaves local accommodation and transportation, Health insurance, accident and medical repatriation insurance, return flight.
Duration: 08 months.
Tdh Global Code of Conduct and Risk Management Policies:
- Fully complies with Tdh’s Global Code of Conduct and systematically reports any breach to the Code through the whistleblowing procedure: raises awareness within the Foundation on abuse and violence and the rights deriving therefrom, respecting the rights and dignity of children, members of the communities and our own Staff
- Commits to respecting Risk Management Policies including: Safeguarding Policies (Child Safeguarding Policy, Policy on the Protection against Sexual Exploitation and the Directive on Staff Misconduct at the Workplace), Safety and Security Policy and Anti-Fraud/Corruption and Prevention of the Financing of Criminal Activities Policies
- Commits to reducing the risk of abuse and harm by developing a culture of open and informed leadership within the organization and in our work with children and the communities in which we intervene in.
We offer an exciting and varied work, useful and meaningful, in a team that wants to make a difference for vulnerable children.
Are you interested? Do you want to face this challenge?
Please applying directly online: http://www.jobs.net/j/Jrnyvxnp?idpartenaire=20002
Application files sent through our official website will be processed only if complete (CV + cover letter). Additional documents (diplomas, work certificates, etc.) will be requested at a later stage.
We will be in touch with the shortlisted candidates only in the selection process – with the large number of applications received, we unfortunately cannot provide personal follow-up to the larger candidate pool. Thanks for your understanding.
For any questions you can consult the FAQ below the job advertisements.
To know more about Terre des hommes: https://vimeo.com/253387418