SI recruits 01 FSL Project Manager (H/F) – SINJAR
Desired start date: 01/03/2021
Duration of the mission: 8 months (subjected to funding approval)
Location: Sinjar / Iraq
ABOUT THE MISSION
In 2021 the situation in Iraq remains unstable with widespread humanitarian concerns, political instability, and economic crises triggered by COVID pandemic. Years of conflict uprooted millions of people, eroded social cohesion, disrupted access to basic services, destroyed livelihoods, and led to increased protection risks. Moreover, the camp closure strategy implemented by the government expose IDPs to multiple displacement or involuntary returns with high protection and security risks. Also, the needs of IDPs leaving in informal settlements have been overlooked, due to the complexity of their settings and the illegality of the settlements.
The Solidarites International’s mission has been opened in February 2017, with emphasis on the Mosul response. The mission is composed of one Coordination office in Erbil (7 expatriates and 8 national staffs) and three operational bases: 1 in Mosul (1 expatriate and 23 national staffs), 1 in Bardarash (1 expatriate and 15 national staffs) and 1 in Sinjar.
Sinjar base has opened in November 2020 with a limited team. Under this CDCS (French Centre De Crise et de Soutien) project, Sinjar base will grow and expand to new sectors of activities. FSL part of this project will be the first FSL project implemented by Iraqi mission.
SI Iraqi mission is at a turning point with willingness to shift from a post-emergency response to more sustainable solutions. Livelihood is one of the key sectors identified to implement this shift, as well as switching the WASH approach to more sustainable solutions.
ABOUT THE JOB
The Food Security & Livelihoods (FSL) program manager is in charge of implementing and achieving the objectives defined in the proposals. She/He:
- Supervises the operational teams allocated to his/her program, recruits and provides capacity building to Sinjar program team
- Guarantees the proper execution and the quality of the CDCS program and, if applicable, suggests adjustments or developments to ensure its relevance
- Conducts further livelihoods assessments in Sinjar and Ba’aj districts
- Supports the mission in developing its livelihood expertise through projects development and setting relevant strategy (on request technically support FSL program in Mosul and KRI)
Responsibilities and main activities:
- Project relevance, quality and design
- Implementation and operational monitoring
- Team management
- Reporting / communication / representation
The main challenges:
- Sinjar and Ba’aj are new areas of operations for SI in Iraq
- FSL is a new sector of intervention for SI in Iraq
- No technical support in terms of livelihoods at Coordination level
- New team to hire and train and base at development stage
Priorities for the 2/3 first months:
- Recruit FSL and WASH team
- Review the proposal and develop the different tools
- Train the team to conduct sectoral analysis
- Integrate protection mainstreaming and build referrals to other services
The Project Manager will be directly managing 2 activity managers, 1 FSL and 1 WASH rehabilitation. Overall, the project team will be composed of 2 activity managers and 4 officers.
She/he will have to work in close collaboration with the MEAL manager based in Erbil and with the MEAL team at base level.
She/he will report directly to the Ninewa Field Coordinator and functionally to the Program Coordinator.
Specific skills and experience:
- University diploma in the relevant field
- At least 3 years of experience in humanitarian field
- Proven experience in FSL projects management
- Knowledge of Project cycle management
- Knowledge in rehabilitation/construction and basic WASH would be an asset
- Experience with sectoral strategy development and implementation
- Experience with research and data analyses highly appreciated
- Organization and planning skills
- Adaptive to fast changing environment and able to deal with daily changing priorities
- Capacity building skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Proactivity, flexibility, solutions-oriented mindset.
- Good and proven writing and spoken English are required
- Arabic speaking is an asset
SI WILL OFFER YOU
A salaried post:
According to experience, starting from 1800 euros gross per month (+ 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly i.e. 1980 euros gross per month)
and a monthly Per Diem of 750 USD
SI also covers accommodation costs and travel expenses between the expatriate’s country of origin and the place of assignment.
Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of 7 working days every three months. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7 working days break at 3, 6 and 9 months (with 850 USD allocated by Solidarités).
To these break periods, it is necessary to add the granting of one additional rest day per month worked, i.e. 12 days in addition for a one-year contract.
Social and medical cover:
Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
Specific constraints related to security
Sinjar and Baaj districts are currently consider as tense and unstable areas with volatile situation. Presence of numerous armed actors (officials and non-officials) with conflicting agenda, high level of contamination by ERWs and general social unrest due to the lack of services, fast changing political landscape and high number of returns are as many factors to take into consideration. Consequently, high vigilance is required (both in Sinjar city and in project locations). A curfew is currently in place and movements by foot outside of the base are not allowed (except on project sites).
Key information about living conditions
During the week, the PM will be accommodated on Sinjar Base. The PM will be the only expatriate on base so social interactions will be limited but other NGOs have expatriate presence in Sinjar City as well. Weekends can be spent in Erbil where the living and security conditions are very good.
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension
For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/