MDM recruits 01 General coordinator (head of mission) (M/F) – Philippines
For more than 40 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in 30 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
MdM presence in the Philippines dates back to 1996 when the organisation participated in the emergency response after Typhoon Rosing. In 1997, MdM started to provided primary health services to remote island populations, and in 2013 MdM participated in the emergency response after the disaster caused by Typhoon Haiyan
Between 2012-2016 MdM implemented a project with the objective of mitigating sanitary and environmental consequences of informal dismantling of waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE) in four urban poor communities of Metro Manila. From 2018 to 2020, MdM developed a pilot project entitled AYOS! (‘Let’s go!’). Through AYOS! MdM aimed to empower the community members of Barangay 775 in Manila City to become active agents of change and enable them to improve their own living conditions & environment, directly positively affecting their personal but also public health issues. At the beginning of 2021, MdM started the second phase of this program which now covers the entire Zone 84 of Manila City, anticipated to run through to 2025.
In addition to the work on environmental health, in July 2020, MdM started a new project focused on Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights for young people in Pasay City (NCR), working in partnership with Community and Family Services International (CFSI).
Considering the high frequency of natural hazard in the Philippines, the General Coordinator will also take part in early surveillance mechanisms, disaster risk reduction (DRR) and emergency preparedness clusters at country and provincial levels. In 2020, MdM implemented emergency response projects in Manila City to support communities affected by the lockdowns imposed to reduce the transmission of the Coronavirus, and also in Catanduanes Island following the devastating passage of Typhoon Rolly. Currently the mission is implementing emergency response projects in Palawan, Negros Occidental and Bohol following Typhoon Rai in December 2021.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the supervision of the desk manager, you are responsible for the overall management of the MdM Philippines mission. You co-design MdM overall strategy in the Philippines (alongside the Desk Officer and Volunteer Board Delegates (VBD)), and provide leadership of the country program.
You will have to develop a fundraising strategy and ensure donors relations in the Philippines. You will be responsible for ensuring the delivery of quality programs, supervising recent projects launched in 2021-2022 and developing a pipeline of future projects.
You will be the direct line manager of 3 Project Managers, a Technical Health Advisor and a Administration Manager. The mission has 19 staff in total. The office is based in Makati City, National Capital Region (NCR).
More specifically, your main responsibilities are the following:
Mission strategy management and coordination
- Coordinate the country strategy revision/update on an annualbasis after consultation with the team, the Desk Officer and the RMs. Contribute to the updated version validation by HQ key fora (technical and regional groups, board of directors, etc.)
- Plan, implement, monitor and evaluate the country programs
- Ensure the compliance of all implemented activities and programs with MdM strategy, principles and guidelines
- Ensure good coordination between logistics, administration (finance and human resources) and programme departments for effective implementation of all activities
- Coordinate with HQ advisors and support resources to ensure high quality program implementation
- Explore, establish and maintain partnership relations and collaboration with civil society and local authorities
- Maintain strong relationships and close collaboration with implementing partners
- Participate in advocacy strategy and implementation
Team Management and Human Resources
- Lead the country coordination team, and as such, plays a leading role in the implementation of management procedures and decisions, and in relaying HQ decisions and information to the MdM team in the Philippines
- Be responsible of the overall management and supervision of the entire mission and direct management of 5 employees.
- Ensure that the mission organigram and allocation of human resources matches with the mission needs
- Ensure consistency with Philippines labour laws in all HR issues
- Ensure that appropriate human resources / legal issues, administrative, financial and logistics procedures are implemented and maintained
- Facilitate effective communication between team members and manage/ arbitrate any conflict which may arise
- Make sure that MdM Philippines guidelines and procedures are in line with HQ requirements and are updated regularly
Security Rules Implementation / Disaster Management
- Be responsible for the overall safety and security of MdM teams, sites and assets in the Philippines
- Conduct regular analysis of the context and security conditions, adapt safety and security rules
- Implement security rules and procedures, provide briefings about safety and security, and ensure that they are maintained, updated and adhered to by the teams
- Participate in relevant networks and clusters
- In case of natural disaster alert, monitor developments, maintain communication trees (mission, region and HQ), attend coordination and clusters meetings, and prepare possible responses, with the support of the Emergency Desk Unit at HQ
Administration, Finance and Logistic Supervision
- Manage the Administration Manager, who receives technical back up from the finance/accounting, HR and logistics departments in MdM HQ in Paris, to ensure compliance with donor procedures and national administrative and legal regulations
- Guarantee transparency of fund use and all programmatic expenditure
- Give approval for expenses, based on donor procedures and MdM internal guidelines
- Participate in the design and approval of new budget proposals for donors, preparation of annual budgets and monthly budget follow up analysis
- Oversee compliance with and respect for agreements and contracts
- Supervise the process of renewing the MoU with the government if necessary
- Ensure compliance with tax regulations and yearly audit recommendations if any
- Ensure that appropriate logistics procedures are maintained
- Maintain high quality supply chain management, to ensure that programme needs are met in compliance with donor and MdM regulations
Reporting and communication
- Be responsible for regular reporting on the mission activities implemented in the Philippines
- Prepare reports and proposals for donors, make sure that they are written in line with donor requirements
- report regularly to HQ (context analysis through monthly written co-ordination reports, incident reports, regular e-mails and phone contacts)
- Relay relevant information from HQ to the Philippines teams
- Liaise with Desk officer, RM and technical/thematic referent for regular updates regarding the mission to HQ team
Representation, fundraising and networking
- Develop a fundraising strategy and explore funding opportunities in country and networking with donors
- Represent MdM to local authorities, donors, international organisations and local NGOs
- arry out negotiations with the authorities at different levels and other stakeholders to ensure compliance with agreements and contracts
- Represent MdM in national and international fora if relevant
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Status : Employee Contract : Fixed-term contract
Duration : 12 months
POSITION OPEN ONLY TO NATIONALS OF PHILIPPINES
Fixed term contract under the Philippines law for 12 months
Starting date: Mid May 2022
Based in Manila (office in Makati City) with regular field visits to project areas and international travel to MdM HQ in Paris
Gross Salary: 130 589,81 PhP per month
Annual Leaves: 12 days paid vacation + 20 public holidays
13th month salary
End of contract gratuity/1 month salary for 12 months contract completed
Health insurance with Philcare (80% covered by MdM)
Sick Leaves: 10 days sick leave per year
Office Hours: From Monday to Friday: 9:00 – 18:00 with 1-hour lunch break
Eligibility: only open to candidates with Philippines nationality.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE NEEDED:
POSITION OPEN ONLY TO NATIONALS OF PHILIPPINES
Master’s degree level (international development, management, public health)
Public health background or medical background is a plus
At least 2 years’ coordination experience in development/humanitarian context.
Demonstrated team management and leadership skills
Excellent writing skills and experience in grant writing and/or reporting.
Extensive experience in project cycle management, M&E mechanisms
Experience with community empowerment and gender-based approaches
Preferable experience in health sector, and especially community health
Specific experience in Environmental Health and/or Sexual and Reproductive Health programming is a strong advantage
Experience in developing and managing emergency response projects
Excellent knowledge of Microsoft environment (Word, Excel, Teams…)
Languages: Fluent English (written and spoken) mandatory, knowledge of French and/or Tagalog is an asset
You embrace the core values and support the proactive philosophy of Médecins du Monde.
TELEPHONE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
Médecins du Monde reserves the right to fill the vacancy before the closing date for applications.
MdM stands up for the integration of people living with disabilities and fights against discrimination.
CV + Cover letter