IFAD is an international Financial Institution and a Specialized United Nations Agency whose mission is to enable poor rural people to overcotn poverty. IFAD’s headquarters is in Rome. Italy, and Its staff work with poor rural people and their governments, communities and organisation In mort than 90 countries to develop and finance programmes and projects aimed at Increasing agricultural productivity and Incomes. Th Programme Management Department (PMD) is responsible for the overall lending programme of the Fund, and Is composed of five regiocu divisions (Asia and the Pacific East and Southern Africa; Latin America and the Caribbean; Near East, North Africa and Europe: West and Centrj Africa Division), Environment and climate Division and Policy &Technical Advisory DMsion.
VACANCY ANOUNCEMENT FOR NATIONAL Environment & Climate Officer at NO-C Level
IFAD Country Office in Dakar, Senegal Fixed Term, 2 years (co-terminus)
Based in Dakar, the Environment & Climate Officer works under the overall strategic, policy and management advice, and supervision of the division Directors (Environment and climate Division and West and Central AfricaRegional Division), and under the daily supervision of the Environment & Climate Division Lead/Senior Technical Specialist and the Country Programme Manager in Dakar. The Environment S C mate Officer will further Integration of environment and climate dimensions across IFAD’s projects and policy engagement (including implementation of IFAD’s new 10-point plan for climate mainstreammg); successfully identify and design environment and climate grant financing from Trust Funds such as the Global Environment Facility (GEF), Least Developed Country Fund (LDCF), Special Climate Change of the fund (SCCF), and Adaptation Trust Fund or similar Trust Funds, successfully implement ASAP, GEF. Adaptation Fund resources including engagement with ASAP donors; resource mobilization from these sources and the Green Climate Fund if possible – to incentivize continued environment and climate mainstreaming; implementation and oversight of IFAD’s Safeguards Policy; undertake vulnerability assesments ; to support project design and implementation, support knowledge management and communications on environment and climate issues
The Environment & Climate Officer Is a National Professional Officer (NPO) and is expected to perform functions of a professional nat requiring local knowledge and experience. Such functions are related to the overall efforts of IFAD within the UN Common System to increase capacity-building and sustainable development in developing countries.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The Environment & Climate Officer will be responsible for the following provisions: Technical Advice; Knowledge Management; Partnership Building and Resource Mobilization,Monitoring, Evaluation ard Reporting
Qualifications, experience and language skills
- Advanced university degree from an accredited Institution in the field of specialization, e.g environmental studies, agronomy, environmental economics, geography, climatology or rural development An advanced university degree may be substituted by a first university degree (Bachelor or equivalent) plus at least four additional years of relevant professional experience, over an J above the minimum number of years of experience.
- At least 5 years progressively responsible experience in, and demonstrated understanding of development Initiatives in rural development and climate and/or environment issues. In-depth technical expertise, demonstrated by substantive work experience, and solid understanding of climate change issues and climate-related impacts on rural development ideally acquired by working on climate change-related, rural development, or disaster risk reduction projects. Proven experience in negotiation, decision-making and also leading some complex project design and implementation/supervision issues . Access to a network of technical and professional resources and expertise which can be brought to bear to Improve ASAP and GEF programming.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, and the prominent regional language where the incumbent is assigned.
- Strategic thinking and organizational development; Demonstrating Leadership; Learning, sharing knowledge and Innovating. Focusing on clients. Problem solving and decision making. Managing time, resources and information; Team Work. Communicatng and negotiating; Building relationships and partnerships, Managing performance and developing staff
Note This position Is open to nationals of the country. The Environment & Climate Officer may be requested to travel to neighboring countries to lend assistance with respect to the following provisions.
Detailed Job description available at www.ifad.org/who/job/overview The applicants are required to apply on-line via the web site by 16 Juy 2016
Female candidates are encouraged to apply. Only short listed candidates will be contacted for final assessment