Humanity & Inclusion recruits 01 Technical Unit Manager – Uganda
“Outraged by the injustice faced by people with disabilities and vulnerable populations, we aspire to a world of solidarity and inclusion, enriched by our differences, where everyone can live in dignity”.
Handicap International is changing his name and becomes « Humanity & Inclusion ». HI, Humanity & Inclusion is an independent and impartial aid and development organisation with no religious or political affiliations operating in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. We work alongside people with disabilities and vulnerable people to help meet their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights.
Since the organisation was first founded in 1982, we have set up development programmes in 62 countries and responded to many emergencies. Today we have a budget of around 150 million euros, with 3500 employees worldwide.
HI is engaged in an employment policy in favour of disabled workers.
For further information about the association: www.hi.org.
While the regional set up is ongoing, the three countries (Kenya-Rwanda-Uganda) each have vibrant programmes, with experienced staff and strong presence in both humanitarian and development context. HI in Kenya and Rwanda have been operational since the early 1990s, and Uganda since 2017. All three countries implement a number of projects under similar technical domains such as Rehabilitation, Mental Health and Psychosocial Support, Inclusive Education, Livelihoods and Resilience but each also have their own specific technical focus in other areas. The opportunities for collaboration across the countries, knowledge exchange and cross fertilization are readily available to improve on programming and the quality of services to beneficiaries.
The regional programme hub is based in Kampala, Uganda. Currently, the Regional Director has been appointed and over the coming six months, the structure of the regional office, including the regional positions will be progressively set up. The Technical Unit Manager will be one of the first positions in the regional programme due to the importance of developing and driving the Technical Unit strategy and support to projects.
DESCRIPTION OF THE POSITION:
Under the responsibility of the Regional Programme Director, you will ensure optimal technical quality and impact of the projects across the regional programme. You will ensure the technical sectoral frameworks and standards implemented in the region. You will share with all HI managers the responsibility of a sound management of the Unit.
As the Region and the role are new, you will be responsible for setting up the direction, objectives, financial planning and resources allocation, and roll out of the Unit.
You will then play a key role in developing the new Regional Strategy 2021-2023, which will guide the development of the Technical Unit. The Regional Strategy will define the sectoral priorities across the three countries, and the related technical set-up required to deliver on the objectives of the Strategy.
In this framework, your main missions will be:
• Technical Unit team members’ management
• Expertise: you ensure the control & monitoring of the technical quality and the relevance of HI’s activities in respect of global technical frameworks and standards; you also ensure the development of research and innovation projects in the region when relevant; you lead a local professional channel/talent pool and contribute to the Technical Divisions professional channel animation
• Influence: ensure the local external prestige and influence of HI’s expertise
• Business development: you ensure the technical development of major opportunities for each different theme in the region and countries under your scope.
In this part, your overall objectives will include:
• Analyse the technical and human resource needs within the Regional and Individual country programmes according to the Regional strategy
• Analyse the funding needs of the Regional and Individual Country programmes according to the Regional Strategy and funding opportunities
• Based on the analysis, determine the Technical Unit Strategy and develop a timeline for the set-up of the regional unit, including financial plan according to the budget available
• Lead the recruitment process of the technical team, including business development officer
• Induct the new team and drive the professional development of the teams in close connections with the global specialists at HQ (personal training plan)
• Develop resource allocation plans of the Technical Unit specialist for support to the three countries.
• You hold a Master’s level in a relevant field
• You have more than 7 years working experience as Technical Specialist, Operations Coordinator, Technical Unit Manager, or similar background and a proven technical expertise in one sector of HI’s strategy
• You have worked more than 5 years in management of teams in humanitarian or development programs
• You know how to collaborate remotely
• A previous experience with HI would be a real asset as a previous experience working in humanitarian/development programs in Africa
• Written and oral institutional communication in English
SPECIFICITIES OF THE POSITION:
The position is based in Kampala. Uganda is a safe country and Kampala is considered a safe and secure capital city, with access to many entertainment, education and health facilities. While traffic can be an issue, overall movement around the city is easy.
HI has a head office in the suburbs of Kampala.
The Presidential election cycle is currently ongoing, with campaigns occurring throughout the country. The national election is expected to happen in February 2021.
The position is a regional one and will require travel not only within Uganda to the project sites, but to Rwanda and Kenya. Travel requirements between the 3 countries will be determined in consultation with the Regional Director and the Kenya and Rwanda Country Managers.
• Starting date : 15th of January 2021
• Length of the contract: 3 years
• Employee status:
– Salary from 2800€ gross/month regarding the experience of the candidate
– Perdiem : 529€ net/month
– Insurances : medical health coverage, retirement planning, repatriation
– Paid holiday : 25 days per year
– R&R : Level 1 : 1 day per month
– Status : position open to couples/families
– Housing : individual taken in charge by HI