Humanity & Inclusion recruits 01 Area Manager Ninewa – IRAQ
Place: IRAQ (Mosul) Starting date: 01/06/2021
Length: 6 months Closing date for applications: 29/04/2021
“Outraged by the injustice faced by people with disabilities and vulnerable populations, we aspire to a world of solidarity and inclusion, enriched by our differences, where everyone can live in dignity”
Humanity & Inclusion (HI) is an independent and impartial aid and development organisation with no religious or political affiliations operating in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. We work alongside people with disabilities and vulnerable people to help meet their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights.
Since the organisation was first founded in 1982, we have set up development programmes in more than 60 countries and responded to many emergencies. Today we have a budget of around 150 million euros, with 3500 employees worldwide.
HI is engaged in an employment policy in favour of disabled workers.
For further information about the association: www.hi.org.
JOB CONTEXT :
HI has been registered and operational in Iraq since 1991 and has become a lead implementing agency in the emergency response in the Health and Protection sectors, operating across Ninewa, Kirkuk, Baghdad, Anbar, Sulemaniyah and Diyala Governorates. Since 2014, HI has scaled up its intervention in Iraq to respond to the humanitarian needs generated by the capture of territory by the IS-group, subsequent military operations and the widespread displacement of Iraqi populations.
Since 2014, HI has scaled up its intervention in Iraq to respond to the humanitarian needs generated by the capture of territory by the IS-group, subsequent military operations and the widespread displacement of Iraqi populations. HI has become a lead implementing agency in the emergency response in the Health and Protection sectors, operating across Ninewa, Kirkuk, Baghdad, and Anbar Governorates mostly.
To follow the evolution of Iraq context after the recent conflict with Daesh the new Operational Strategy for HI’s Programme in Iraq for the period 2020-2022, plan the global objective of HI programming in Iraq around three central pillars:
1- Health: Ensure access and quality of specialized rehabilitation services for the most vulnerable people whose physical and functional and/or psychological integrity is compromised, through direct intervention when necessary, and the strengthening of the health system: skills development, referral pathways, community-based rehabilitation.
2- Protection: promoting an integrated response to the risks associated with explosive hazards through mine risk education, clearance, victims assistance, including PSS.
3- Social Inclusion: promotion of access to services for vulnerable groups, particularly people with disability with inclusive humanitarian action, strengthening of governance policies and civil-society organizations and tailored livelihood
These pillars are complemented by three crosscutting themes: subsidiarity, partnership, Innovation, and research.
In Ninewa governorate, HI’s 2021 activities include:
- Direct and indirect Explosive Ordnance Risk Education for IDPs, returnees and vulnerable populations;
- Physical Rehabilitation for conflict-affected persons with injuries and functional limitations in both the camps and communities
- Psychosocial support for conflict-affected persons and their care givers in both the camps and communities;
- Support to a local rehabilitation center in Mosul, through donations of equipment and consumables and through capacity building;
- Promotion of the inclusion of persons with disabilities in the humanitarian response;
- Disability Inclusion mainstreaming amongst other actors
- Support to civil society organization and disabled person organization
- COVID response through distribution of food baskets and hygiene / COVID protection kits.
The main objective of the position is the implementation of HI’s Operational Strategy in the area of responsibility with the full deployment of HI’s mandate, with a particular attention to the development of operational resources and capacity. Particular attention must be given to ensure relevance of HI’s intervention in line with the quick evolution of the context (camps consolidation, security development) in a transition perspective (nexus).
Under the responsibility of the Country Director, the Area Manager is responsible for developing and implementing, in the area where he/she is based, the projects part of the Programme operational strategy. He/she ensures optimal quality and impact of the projects implemented in the area, through a delegation system with appropriate control mechanisms. He/she shares with all HI managers the responsibility of a sound management and successful functioning of the global organization
He / She follows up security management, assist planning of shared services managers and operations team on a daily basis to facilitate activities implementation.
His main responsibilities are:
- Be the manager (direct report) of the Project managers’ team in the area of assignment
- Steer organization transformation, in particular through managerial and work practice change and continuous improvement of working processes
- Contribute to the development of the Programme’s Operational Strategy, and to its implementation and annual monitoring
- Implement the project part of the Programme’s Operational Strategy
- Ensure the deployment of and compliance with HI global frameworks, institutional policies and standards
- With both operational opportunities and risks in mind, contribute to the monitoring and analysis made by the line Manager, and propose mitigation measures when relevant
- Develop external influence of HI (clusters, forums, operational & strategic alliances, etc.) and the external representation of the organization (events, media) on his/her responsibilities area
YOUR PROFILE :
- You hold a Bachelor degree in Humanitarian Assistance or Development studies, Political Sciences, International Relations. Middle Eastern Studies, or another relevant subject
- You have at least 5 years of professional experience in humanitarian contexts, including at least 2 years as Area Manager or Programme Manager
- Previous security management experience is mandatory
- Previous experience in Iraq or in another Middle Eastern country is an asset
- You have proven managerial and programmatic experience and you are familiar with PM tools and MEAL
- You demonstrate strong planning and forecasting skills
- You have good communication, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Good command of English (oral and written) is mandatory. Knowledge of Arabic is an asset.
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE POSITION :
- Security: Moderated insecurity in Ninewa mainly due to criminal activity, presence of multiple armed groups and access restrictions. number of risks in Mosul city remains present and mitigated with restricting security rules (limited movements, low profile)
- Isolation: restricted movements, movements on foot very limited and curfew, limited amount of places are pre-validated (other INGOs compounds, few social places), two weekends spent in Mosul on three on a regular basis. Regular travels to Sinuni / Sinjar and Erbil for professional needs. Security is improving, but regional and local tensions remain important.
- Travel: Trips to program activities across Ninewa governorate (Mosul, Ninewa plains, Sinjar, Baa’j) possible
- Living conditions: Individual room in safe and comfortable GH. Limited access to shops close to the compound or validated mini-markets.
- Social life: around 10 international organizations are present in Mosul
At HI, the conditions offered are up to your commitment and adapted to the context of your mission. Particular attention is paid to health issues and your personal situation. We offer an induction and training path adapted to our staff members and we have a HR policy oriented toward mobility and professional development.
- 6 months International contract starting from June 2021
- The international contract provides social cover adapted to your situation:
- Unemployment insurance benefits for EU nationals
- Pension scheme adapted to the situation of our employees: If you already have a personal pension scheme HI will contribute at the same level of your personal monthly contribution with a maximum of 53€/month ; If you do not have a personal pension scheme, we will open a private pension account with your contribution of 272.53€/month and a contribution of HI of the same amount
- Medical coverage with 50% of employee contribution
- Repatriation insurance paid by HI
- Salary from 2757 € gross/month upon experience
- Perdiem : 494 € net/month – paid in the field
- Hardship : 500 € net/month paid with your salary
- Paid leaves : 25 days per year;
- R&R : 5 days every 3 month
- Unaccompanied: Payment for travel costs (air ticket & visa) and transport of your personal effects (from 12 months of mission)
- Housing : Collective taken in charge by HI
If you are resident in the country : local package
Only online by joining a CV and cover letter via the following link: http://www.jobs.net/j/JIwjUGKz?idpartenaire=130
Applications will be processed on an ongoing basis, don’t wait for applying !
Only successful candidates will be contacted.