Handicap International recruits 01 Armed Violence Reduction Director
“Outraged by the injustice faced by people with disabilities and vulnerable populations, we aspire to a world of solidarity and inclusion, enriched by our differences, where everyone can live in dignity”
Handicap International is changing his name and becomes « Humanity & Inclusion ». HI, Humanity & Inclusion is an independent and impartial aid and development organisation with no religious or political affiliations operating in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. We work alongside people with disabilities and vulnerable people to help meet their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights.
Since the organisation was first founded in 1982, we have set up development programmes in 62 countries and responded to many emergencies. Today we have a budget of around 150 million euros, with 3500 employees worldwide.
HI is engaged in an employment policy in favour of disabled workers.
For further information about the association: www.hi.org.
Within the Protection and Risk Reduction Division, Armed Violence Reduction strategy remains ambitious and foresees an increase of the activity on the coming years in both mine action and conflict transformation.
As a multimandated organisation HI objective aims at reducing the impact of conventional weapons on civilian populations; meaning addressing the causes, the instruments, and the immediate effects and long-term impact of armed violence. The humanitarian situation faced by the people we support, and more specifically conflict affected people, is becoming increasingly complex.
The nature and duration of armed conflicts is ever-changing but chronic conflicts led by non-state actors are the dominant form of armed conflict in the world today. With the dynamics of conflict changing and increased migration from rural to urban centres, the location, impact and type of contamination evolve correspondingly. In addition, increased structural social violence and social fractures, the weakening of the concept of the State and the consequent increase in shocks and tensions (highlighting structural and conjunctural situations, short-term effects and long-term impacts) increase conflict and armed violence as experienced by local populations.
HI’s response will have to address increasingly more diverse and complex needs, regardless of the context, to have a lasting impact and take into account already existing underlying factors contributing to the multidimensional vulnerability of beneficiaries.
Under the management of the Protection and Risk Reduction Director, the AVR Director contributes to the realisation of the Organisation’s strategic axes by ensuring optimal quality and impact of the technical activity under his or her responsibility. He/she shares responsibility with the other Directors for the proper management and operation of Handicap International’s global organisation through paradigm shifts.
– The AVR Director deploys HI’s social mission within the defined perimeter, whatever the context of intervention (emergency, post-emergency, prolonged crisis, development, etc.),
– The AVR Director is in charge, within his scope, of the organisational transformation in compliance with the budgetary frameworks, federal policies (financial thresholds, security, PSEA, fight against fraud and corruption, etc.) and the code of conduct.
– The AVR Director embodies HI’s legitimacy and expertise internally and externally.
- Development of the Strategy
-You participate in the elaboration of the global HI strategy and translate this strategy into a Technical Strategy (STRATECH) for its sector perimeter.
- Operational implementation of the strategy within its perimeter
-You deploy the Technical Strategy (STRATECH) within the frameworks (budget, internal policies and legal frameworks) and in compliance with its budget.
-You embody the scientific authority on its perimeter vis-à-vis HI internal environment
-You embody the scientific authority as well as the development and influence of the social mission on its perimeter with regard to the outside world.
-You ensure business development, in particular the development of major opportunities
- Transforming the organisation
-You adapt the organisation within its perimeter to serve the implementation of the strategy
-You assume the posture and role of manager for his/her staff
- Representation and Communication
Expériences / Formation
- You hold a degree in Conflict/security issues, International Development or International Relations
- You have at least 8 years of solid knowledge and experience in Humanitarian Mine Action at senior field and/or HQ positions
- You have knowledge of Institutional International Frameworks
- You master Humanitarian Mine Action Strategies, including in synergy with other topics such as economic resilience, protection, etc…
- You have experience in designing quality control mechanisms
- You understand armed violence reduction comprehensive models
- You show leadership and team management, including remote management
- You demonstrate internal and external negotiation and communication skills
- You are caring and collaborative and know how to promotes autonomy
- You are fluent in English and French. Ability to speak and write in other languages (Arabic, Spanish) at an advances level would be an advantage
- Type of contract : Open ended contract
- Additional benefits: luncheon vouchers and health insurance
- Working hours: 39 hours a week with 9.5 days of RTT (work time reduction) to be taken each year
- 5 weeks of annual leave