DRC recruits 01 Technical Field Manager
The overall purpose of the role:
The Technical Field Manager is responsible and accountable for managing and overseeing the implementation of DRC Humanitarian Mine Action activities in the Mosul area. The Technical Field Manager’s role is to ensure that Mine Action-related activities are implemented with the required level of quality and in line with the project(s)’s objectives, DRC strategy, donor requirements, and are compliant with DRC’s mine action Standard Operating Procedures. The Technical Field Manager assesses capacity and provides formal and on-the-job training as needed to the teams. The Technical Field Manager is also responsible to create and maintain relationships with key mine action stakeholders in the country (military, police EOD, etc.) in Mosul.
- Provide overall leadership for DRC’s Mine Action operations in Mosul, Iraq.
- Plan and lead the implementation of all mine action-related activities with support from the Project Manager
- Plan and lead provision of capacity building activities, including formal and on the job training to field staff
- Collaborate with M&E staff to ensure rigorous monitoring and evaluation of mine action activities
- Monitor and supervise regular mine action related assessments
- Contribute to the management of safety and security by adhering to established protocols
- Other tasks as requested by HMA Operations Manager, Country Director and/or HDP Regional Manager
Specific tasks and responsibilities include:
- Carrying out operational planning for all Mine Action related activities, e.g. Non-Technical Survey/Technical Survey, Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD), Battle Area Clearance (BAC), QA/QC, Community Liaison, and Risk Education. This should be done while keeping focus on national priorities and beneficiary needs.
- Carry out trainings to technical staff in Mosul.
- Supervise BAC operations by mine action teams as per projects requirements
- Mentor, monitor, advise PM and HMA teams, ensuring that they carry out their duties and responsibilities in accordance with their job descriptions and relevant DRC mine action SOPs and DRC and donor guidelines.
- Ensure compliance with medical support SOPs and ensure a proper level of medical training for all staff.
- Make recommendations regarding new approaches and develop, implement and revise country-specific SOPs for relevant DRC activities.
- Design an application of internal Quality Management (QM) mechanisms that includes monitoring the impact of DRC programming in terms of Mine Action as well as productivity (outputs)
- Ensure that all mine action related activities are coordinated with and complementary to each other and all other program in the area of responsibility
- Make regular field visits to monitor and advise managers under his/her responsibility and national staff in program delivery
- In collaboration with the national Safety Advisor, managing the safety of field staff
- Liaise with local and national authorities (including DMA/RMAC-S, the police, military, etc.), external partners (other HMA I/NGOs, humanitarian/development organisations, etc.) within his/her assigned areas of responsibility and coordinate local representation and coordination with the OM.
- Drafting and compiling the monthly, quarterly and annual reports for their specific sections.
- Preparing donor reports by providing qualitative and quantitative inputs
- Contribute to the monthly operational statistic reports to HQ
- Work closely with the Support Services Manager (HoSS) to monitor admin and HR aspects of his/her assigned sections; including monitoring the discipline and welfare of the program staff and ensuring that the correct level of staff capacity is maintained.
- Work closely with the Logistics department to ensure mine action follow-up on procurement and management of assets, including inventory and storage of equipment
The Technical Field Manager is responsible for managing (forecasting, spending, overseeing) the budget for his/her project(s) and activities in his/her assigned sections.
Experience and technical competencies:
- Minimum 5 years’ previous experience in humanitarian mine action and full understanding of its technical requirements.
- Previous work experience as Technical Field Manager or equivalent.
- Minimum two years previous experience working with a mine action INGO or mine action agency
- Proven management experience, gained in a range of settings.
- Experience with accreditation to IMAS standard
- Proven record of training, mentoring and developing the capacity of staff, national and international
- Experience of working in challenging and insecure environments
- Diplomatic, patient and persistent.
- Experience working in diverse and cross-cultural context
- Willingness to embrace and further develop overall objectives such as gender equity, impact monitoring, and cross-sector cooperation.
- High degree of computer literacy – fully proficient in use of word, excel and PowerPoint
- Experience in GIS is an asset
- Willing to live in shared team house
- University degree or equivalent education suitable for the role
- IMAS EOD 3 qualifications
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Fluency and spoken and written Arabic desirable
- Senior Management (OM, CD)
- National teams
- DRC/DDG’s programme department (AVR, protection, economic recovery, MEAL, etc.)
- UN agencies (UNICEF, UNDP, UNHCR, UNMAS, etc.)
- Security stakeholders (military, police, civil defense)
- Government agencies (at state and federal levels)
- Other INGOs, especially HMA operators
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. Therefore, female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.