COOPI recruits 01 Project Manager ECHO
COOPI is currently implementing several projects in Malawi mainly in the areas of Disaster Risk Reduction, Disaster Preparedness, Emergency&Relief, Resilience, Energy Facility, Climate Change, Food Security, Agriculture, Irrigation and Value Chain.
Position: Project Manager/Country Representative
Reporting to: Area Manager HQ
Duration: 10 months
Location: Lilongwe, with possible frequent missions in other Districts in Malawi.
The objective of this position is to ensure overall oversight for a ECHO project implemented in the country.
PROJECT MANAGEMENT, IMPLEMENTATION AND SUPERVISION
- Responsible for ensuring effectiveness and implementation of projects activities to ensure the timely achievement of targeted results in the area of the project;
- Provide strong leadership for area of the project, working to ensure both short and long-term positive impacts and outcomes for the beneficiaries, local authorities (where applicable) and local staff.
- Responsible for the monitoring and supervision of project field activities to ensure good progress of planned activities and timely achievement of expected results;
- Responsible for the elaboration and updating of project monitoring plan, including forecasting costs/expenditures, according to the projects budget and strict monitoring of the same; co –funding sources identification in collaboration with the administrative staff present;
- In collaboration with the field teams, responsible for the generation of action plans and compilation of field reports (this includes monthly progress reports, quarterly progress reports and other external reports as per the donor requirements);
- To ensure good visibility of the projects’ overall goals, policies and envisaged and/or results achieved as per COOPI and donor communication policies;
- Ensure sector integration, learning, sharing and adoption of best practices;
- Responsible for field security issues.
PROJECT HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
- A key responsibility of the PM will be the human resource management and guidance to ensure that the projects staff promotes community participation and community decisions in all the projects strategies and implementation;
- Guide the supervised staff of the project on COOPI objectives, policies, strategies and Standard Operation Procedures (SOPs), and respect to the humanitarian principles;
- Guide the Field Teams in planning for implementation of activities and monitoring in line with program plans in their districts.
PROJECT COORDINATION AND LIAISON FUNCTIONS
- Liaise with the Area Manager on issues pertinent to the projects;
- PM will ensure that cross-cutting issues are accounted for while alleviating risks and while preparing communities to face disasters.
- Attend projects’ related meetings at field level (including those with donors as requested);
- Participate in cluster meetings and other coordination meetings in the field;
- Under directions of the Area Manager, act as link/liaison between COOPI and stakeholders, representing COOPI at relevant forums (including coordination), joint assessments and providing feedback on the same;
- Update the logistic department on any pertinent security or access issues.
- Be responsible for the update and implementation of the security contingency plan.
We are looking for a dynamic and innovative individual with:
- advanced degree in political science, development cooperation, economics, agriculture, food security;
- excellent knowledge of project cycle-management;
- sound knowledge of international donors procedures, in particular ECHO;
- previous experience in southern African country is an advantage;
- strong analytical and practical problem-solving skills;
- strong supervisory abilities and demonstrated capacity of teamwork;
- adequate resilience to stress;
- strong commitment to follow the rules and procedures of the organization;
- excellent inter-personal and writing communication skills;
- previous experience in writing project proposals is an asset;
- organize work efficiently and deliver assignments in a timely manner often under time constraints;
- proficiency in written English is a must; Italian is an asset
- computer literacy, with high proficiency in the use of standard office software applications (e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint);
- Valid driving license.
We reserve the right to close the vacancy prior to the application closing date, once a sufficient number of applications have been received.
Cooperazione Internazionale (COOPI) is an Italian humanitarian non-governmental organization founded in Milan in 1965. COOPI aims to help the world’s poorest to improve their access to healthcare, food, and financial security, and to overcome their special vulnerability to wars, civil conflicts and natural disasters. For 50 years of long-term support and constant presence in the field, COOPI has been engaged in breaking the cycle of poverty and responding to specific emergencies in numerous sectors, including Food Security, Humanitarian Aid, Health, Socio-Economical Services, Water and Sanitation, Human Rights, Education and Training, Migrations and Sustainable Energy.