UNESCO recruits 01 EES Projet assistant
Humanitaire (ONG, Associations, …), Projet/programme de développement
EES PROJECT ASSISTANT
Parent Sector : Natural Sciences Sector (SC)
Duty Station: Cairo
Job Family: Natural Sciences
Type of contract : Non Staff
Duration of contract : From 1 to 6 months
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 29-Jul-2021
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) holds scientific and intellectual leaderships in the field of Natural Hazards management and the risk reduction through its multidisciplinary and multi-sectoral initiatives; international scientific collaboration and its Academic Networks, Chairs and Programmes. The Organization operates at the interface between natural and social sciences, education, culture and communication to foster socio-economic and ecological resilience in areas prone to Natural Hazards. UNESCO assists counties in building and strengthening capacities in risks prevention and it plays a vital role in supporting Member States in the implementation of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) 2015-2030, in alignment with the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the Paris Climate Agreement.
The Sendai Framework for DRR aim is to achieve the substantial reduction of disaster risk and losses in lives, livelihoods and health of people. The Framework addresses the mitigation of risks to reduce drop in the economic, physical, social, cultural and environmental assets of persons, businesses, communities and countries. It also taps on institutional measures that prevent hazards and vulnerability to disasters.
The project entitled ‘Urgent Interventions to strengthen the Socio-Ecological Systems Resilience in MENA Region’ funded by the Government of Japan, is designed to provide instruments and tools to boost the readiness of communities in addressing and managing Natural Hazards risks. Its aim is to strengthen Socio-Ecological Systems resilience in risks prone areas in MENA region. The project is implemented in Egypt and Jordan, in close coordination with UNESCO Amman Office. The project’s position is located in the Regional Bureau for Sciences in the Arab States in Cairo, Egypt.
Within the framework of the Ecology and Earth Sciences Programme of the UNESCO Regional Bureau for Sciences in the Arab States in Cairo (UCO), under the overall supervision of the UCO Director and the direct supervision of the EES Programme at UCO, the Project Assistant will:1. Work under the supervision of a senior professional or group of professionals
2. Perform a variety of administrative and clerical duties contributing to the smooth and efficient running of a work unit
3. Ensure the flow and management of information within the unit
4. Take initiative in providing office support services
5. Act independently in routine matters and finds solutions to new problems after discussion with the supervisor
6. May make recommendations on internal office procedures
He/she will undertake the following tasks:1. Support in data collection and information gathering to meet the requirements of all undertaken activities;
2. Assist in the planning and organization of regional and national workshops, trainings and meetings;
3. Assist in the follow up on the project team members work and deliverables;
4. Provide assistance in the monitoring and evaluation, assessment and reporting of the project implementation;
5. Assist in the coordination with regional and national stakeholders, consultants, and UNESCO personnel in organizing events and project’s activities;
6. Assist in drafting concept notes, budgeting, action plan, and other documents necessary for logistical and substantive planning;
7. Assist in developing and implementing outreach types of tasks and activities to ensure the high visibility of the project;
8. Keep track of contracts and disbursement of funds in coordination with UNESCO personnel in charge of Administration and Finances;
9. Maintain the development of comprehensive portfolio recording the project’s memory including administrative and logistic aspects of the project;
10. Support in the preparation and development of reports, presentations, project documents, and concept notes;
11. Arrange appointments for the supervisor, receives visitors, places and screens telephone calls and responds to routine requests for information;
12. Provide secretarial, administrative and logistics support to meetings, committees, conferences.
13. Respond or drafts responses to standard/routine correspondence and other communications.
14. Proofread documents and edits texts for accuracy, grammar, punctuation and style, as well as for adherence to established standards for format;
15. Perform general administrative tasks (e.g., leave and attendance recording, arrangements for meetings and other events, budget follow-up, etc.);
16. Make travel and hotel arrangements and prepares travel authorizations/claims for supervisor(s);
17. Research, compile and organize information and reference materials from various sources for reports. Create spreadsheets and presentations; manage and update databases for mailing lists and other information; and maintain electronic and paper files;
18. Reviews, records, distributes and processes incoming mail. Follow up on impending actions;
19. Any other related tasks as may be required or assigned by the supervisor
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)Accountability (C)Communication (C)Innovation (C)Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)Planning and organizing (C)Results focus (C)Teamwork (C)
Education:Completed secondary and technical education where advanced degree in the field of earth sciences, social sciences, public administration, humanities, arts or related fields, or an equivalent professional experience would be an asset.
Work Experience:• Two to three years of relevant professional experience in administration and/or general office support or related area, directly linked to the coordination and management of projects, ideally focused on one or more of the areas cited below:
i) Environmental science and management,
ii) Biodiversity conservation and ecological restoration,
iii) Disaster Risk Reduction, Ecosystem resilience and social preparedness.
Experience working on a regional or international level or in the UN System is an asset.
Experience working directly with government officials and other high-level experts in the Arab region (ideally in Egypt and/or Jordan) is an asset.
Experience working with Japanese partners, and/or some knowledge of ecological resilience is desired but not required.
LanguagesFluency in Arabic and English language.Knowledge of other UN languages is an advantage
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTSRename the “BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS” title to “APPLICATION PROCESS”, and use additional sections if required to add other relevant information.
Otherwise you can delete this section.
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESSPlease note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.POSTULER