SI recruits 01 Food distributions program manager (H/F) – MUEDA
Desired start date: 17/01/2022 Duration of the mission: 5 months Location: Mueda Mozambique
Solidarités International intervened in Mozambique in March 2019 for a few months following the passage of Cyclone Idai, which hit the Province of Sofala and the city of Beira hard. Operations were suspended after the emergency phase and the mission closed. The evolution of the situation in Cabo Delgado province, hit by several cyclones and severely affected by the violent actions of armed groups claiming to be IS, which caused the displacement of nearly 700 000 people, led to an assessment in May 2021 and to the reopening of the mission. The assessment, carried out in the most affected district highlighted needs, particularly in the WASH sector, and the lack of emergency actors. The mission is opening in a complex security and administrative environment, where access will be a major issue.
Solidarites International was one of the first INGO actors to respond to the growing crisis in Cabo Delgado, leading emergency response and distributions in hard-to-reach areas. SI has completed its opening phase, and is planning to scale up and diversify its activities in 2022. A new field base is planned for the first quarter of 2022, and multiple new projects are opening.
Type and content of program
The Food Distribution PM will lead a WFP programme across Mueda and Nangade districts, in the north of Cabo Delgado Province. Nearly 100,000 IDPs reside in Mueda, in host communities and across 7 transit(1) and relocation sites(6). . Additionally, Mueda is a key transit point for newly displaced households and IDPs with return intentions. A growing number of humanitarians INGOs and UN agencies are implementing programmes serving IDPs, host communities, and conflict-affected communities in Mueda. In Nangade district 62 353 IDPs have been reported in beginning of December and have received no to little assistance up until now.
The WFP programme aims to support children between 06 and 59 months with a Blanket Supplementary Feeding Programme (BSFP) in order to prevent deterioration of their nutritional status. This part of the programme will be implemented in close collaboration with local health services in order to offer an integrated approach between nutrition and health to 15 000 children per month during 2 months. This programme also contains 5 rounds of General Food Distributions in Nangade district for 8000 households firstly targeting only IDPs and in second time shifting to a vulnerability based targeting. A continuation of the General Food Distribution activity is expected for further months under other fundings.
ABOUT THE JOB
The Food Distribution PM is responsible for leading the implementation of the food distribution projects in Mueda and Nangade districts. He/she is responsible for overseeing operational teams assigned to the program, and guarantees the good performance and the quality of the program(s), and, where appropriate, proposes adjustments or developments to ensure relevance
Specific stakes and challenges
- Security situation in Nangade district a newly accessible area with few humanitarian presence
- Large scale food distributions to underserved populations
- Large team to manage
- High volume of activity
Priorities for the 2/3 first months :
- With support of the Field coordinator and Program Coordinator, finalize the recruitment of the program team, training and capacity building.
- Organize the planning of distributions in close coordination with the local health department (SDS Mass), the logistics department in Mueda and WFP.
- Implement registration and beneficiary verification processes, ensuring dignity and accountability
- Ensure the compliance of the project by developing all key programmatic tools for proper follow up and reporting
- At least one year of experience as program manager in humanitarian environments or similar position
- Previous experience in leading distributions is an asset
- Previous experience in managing large team is an asset
- Experience in a hardship or conflict-affected setting
Technical skills and knowledge:
- Knowledge about project cycle management and monitoring tools
- Good problem-solving skills in day to day and crisis situations
- An ability to analyze information quickly and accurately
- A flexible approach to managing and prioritizing a high workload and multiple tasks with tight deadlines
Languages: Portuguese or Spanish and English are mandatory.
Other desirable qualities: leadership and management / coordination with partners / planning and prioritization / flexibility / capacity to work under stress / solution making oriented / Team player
SI WILL OFFER YOU
A salaried post: According to experience, starting from 1 800 euros gross per month (+ 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) and a monthly Per Diem
SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL also covers accommodation costs and travel expenses between the expatriate’s country of origin and the place of assignment.
Social and medical cover: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension
For further information about SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/