Position Title : Public Information Officer
Duty Station : Tripoli, Libya
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 24 February 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries: Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cook Islands, Cuba, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Fiji, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Grenada, Guyana, Iceland, Kiribati, Comoros, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Saint Lucia, Lesotho, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Palau, Paraguay, Solomon Islands, Seychelles, Suriname, Sao Tome and Principe, Eswatini, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission, and in close coordination with relevant units including Media and Public Information Specialists at the Regional Office in Cairo, the successful candidate will be responsible in supporting the Country Office with reporting and implementation of internal and external communication and media-related activities for IOM in Libya.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Review and edit activity reports, media reports and documents prepared by various Country Office Units for internal and external distribution.
2. Advise the Chief of Mission, media focal points and other staff in the country on media, public information, event management, visibility, media and communication issues.
3. Update and implement the public information strategy for IOM Libya to prominently position the organization as a lead humanitarian agency with donors, partners, media agencies and the Libyan public.
4. Draft sections of regular internal Country Office activity reports and other relevant units in Headquarters IHQ) as requested.
5. Provide content and other information inputs in relation to the visibility of IOM and its work in Libya.
6. Draft, edit and disseminate public information material and reports including press releases, op-eds, videos, feature stories, infographics, factsheets, newsletters, brochures within the Country Office, to other IOM Country Offices, HQ, and to external sources, including donors, United Nations (UN) agencies, government counterparts and other interested stakeholders.
7. Liaise closely with the relevant units to regularly update Country Office documents, such as: newsletters, periodic reports, information sheets, brochures, PowerPoint presentations and other written reports and materials on IOM programmes and events.
8. Generate timely and engaging content and regularly update communication platforms including the Country Office website and social media outlets (Facebook, Twitter, etc.).
9. Contribute to the inclusion of appropriate gender awareness in all IOM Libya communications.
10. Ensure community engagement and beneficiary feedback is included in projects by supporting IOM’s Community Response Map as a monitoring and evaluation tool.
11. Provide information and inputs to field and programme staff in the sub-offices on public information issues.
12. Liaise with media, partners and government counterparts on the Country Office’s work, community activities, events and human interest and migration stories.
13. Participate in key mission events and workshops and undertake duty travel to field missions as needed in order to acquire material, including photographs, videos and stories of work being undertaken by the field, that would promote IOM with donors and governments.
14. Build internal public information and multimedia capacity.
15. Monitor local and international media and news and bring to the management attention any publication concerning migration.
16. Review and communicate specific information with local and international media in Arabic and English.
17. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Media Communications, Journalism or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or,
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in writing and editing informational materials and reports;
• Experience in operational activities in post-crisis or emergency areas;
• Demonstrated high competency as a writer and an editor in English;
• Knowledge of graphic design, web, social media and video production; and,
• Work experience in the region is an advantage.
Fluency in English and Arabic is required. Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
With possible relocation to Tunis, Tunisia depending on the security situation in Libya.
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results. • Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 24 February 2019 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to: http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.