Position Title : Head of Sub-Office
Duty Station : Bentiu, South Sudan
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 17 February 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries: Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cook Islands, Cuba, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Fiji, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Grenada, Guyana, Iceland, Kiribati, Comoros, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Saint Lucia, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Palau, Paraguay, Solomon Islands, Seychelles, Suriname, Sao Tome and Principe, Eswatini, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the overall direction of the Chief of Mission (COM), the direct supervision of the Head of Operations based in Juba, and in close collaboration with the relevant Programme Managers and the Senior Resource Management Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for ensuring the overall effective management of IOM staff, assets and other resources within and will be responsible for contributing to the programme implementation planning and development, monitoring and evaluation of IOM activities in the sub-office.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Establish partnerships, maintain and develop working relationships with government and local authorities including the South Sudan Relief and Rehabilitation Commission, non-governmental organizations, United Nations agencies, and stakeholders including but not limited to implementing community relations initiatives and cultural sensitization.
2. Represent IOM at relevant fora including meetings at state level vis-à-vis the government and partners such as UN Country Team, Humanitarian State Team, among others.
3. Establish close coordination and consultation with the United Nations Mission in South Sudan, Staff Security, civil and military governmental and local authorities in order to ensure security of IOM staff and properties.
4. Identify and develop projects and activities of interest for IOM in coordination with the Head of Operations and the COM in Juba, the relevant Programme Managers, Programme Support Unit and in cooperation with government partners and communities.
5. Analyse migration trends and issues; assess the potential for programme development and advice on migration related developments.
6. Supervise sub-office staff and ensure timely completion of outputs and activities in close coordination with the Programme Managers. Ensure adequate and regular reporting from each unit to the Head of Operations covering the sub-office operations, programme implementation and its activities.
7. Support Programme Managers in the overall implementation of projects to ensure compliance with relevant IOM and donor policies, procedures and requirements.
8. Provide the Head of Operations an objective overview of the performance of the programmes and isolate any factors that may be leading to underperformance and prepare proposals for appropriate action.
9. Oversee and manage the administrative functions of relevant units in the sub-office and ensure compliance with IOM policies and procedures.
10. Maintain appropriate controls to safeguard the Organizations’ assets and prevent fraud. Strengthen internal controls through proper documentation and tracking of approval processes.
11. Analyse constraints and other issues and recommend operational and administrative activities with a view to increasing their effectiveness and streamlining procedures.
12. Oversee local recruitment and provide training to staff in accordance with area needs and programme requirements, in coordination with Head of Operations and the relevant units in Juba.
13. Perform such other related duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, Business Administration, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University Degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in project/offices management in emergency environments;
• Experience in transition and recovery and community stabilization;
• Previous experiences with IOM and with UN specialized agencies is an advantage;
• Experience in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities as well as with national and international institutions;
• Experience in project implementation, scheduling and deployment of resources;
• Strong management capability and experience, especially in the field of community stabilization;
• Familiarity with financial and business administration;
• Excellent communication and negotiation skills;
• Good computer literacy.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results. • Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 17 February 2019 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to: http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.