MSF recruits 01 Field Resources Risk & Internal Control Officer (m/f/x) – Southern Africa and Sierra Leone
You have experience in Internal control and Audit? You love training and are not afraid to be in the field? The position of Field Resources Risks and Internal Control Officer at MSF might be for you!
The mission of the Finance Department of MSF Operational Center Brussels (OCB) is to ensure an efficient use of resources in the pursuit of the objectives of the Organization. It plays a key role in regard to accountability, control and transparency.
Within the Finance Department, the Field resources risk & internal control Unit is responsible for the quality, coherence and analysis of the financial information. It is a unit which participates actively in the creation, diffusion and development of the Field Resources Risk and Internal Controls at different levels of the Organization (HQ & Field). Among others, this unit is in charge of developing tools and implementing processes to achieve this objective.
The Field Resources Risk and Internal Control Risk Unit is a key element in the strategy of the Finance Department to ensure an efficient use of resources. Indeed, the unit also aims at improving resources-related risk management, providing reasonable assurance on the effectiveness and efficiency of the internal control and use of resources (funds, goods, human resources, information, reputation and time), as well as ensuring compliance with MSF standards (policies, procedures), laws, regulations and contracts. Its role is therefore not only limited to control but should also cover the promotion and implementation of actions as well as good practices aiming at improving the performance and efficiency of MSF OCB.
The Field Resources Risk & Internal Control Officer is a member of the Finance Field Resources Risk & Internal Control Unit. Under the supervision of the Field Resources Risk & Internal Control Referent, he/she is in charge of:
- Identifying risks and monitoring of the control measures implemented by the management
- Support to management into a practical implementation of controls and activities to ensure the best internal control systems of the field
- Providing important and useful information to senior management and the Associative Board regarding the management of risks and controls
The Field Resources Risk & Internal Control Officer should use existing tools such as the Internal Monitoring Tool (IMT), risk assessments and monitoring, audit reports (audit for institutional contracts, internal audit or external audits) to contribute producing, collecting information on risks and developing a central and macro vision of the Organisation’s risk exposure related to the management of resources.
He/she should in the same time participate to the development and update of a complete system for recording, monitoring, and communicating the Organisation’s Resources Risk program components.
Ensures that the projects of the region are implementing the Internal Monitoring tool and are using it efficiently
- Support the Fieldco and all managers at field level to implement the IMT, and use its outcomes to advise a better project management
- Supervise the finance managers in the animation of IMT at field level
- Support the follow up and implementation of corrective measures appearing in the IMT of each project
- Compile data from projects. Communicate them at regional level. Ensure that comments are done. Animate the process at coordination level. Report to the Cell and IMT referent at HQ with comments
- Briefing of new managers for IMT. Support of the Finance managers in their briefing of IMT for the new staff in the project
- Training on IMT when necessary
- Spot incoherence, duplication and gap in the different processes described in the different departments’ guidelines and procedures and communicate them to the process owner
Animate and contribute to the improvement of resources risks management
Missions risks resource management
- Ensure the resources risks assessment of the projects and region
- Ensure that mitigations measures defined for the projects and mission are in place
- Communicate at regional and project level on the risk resources management
- Brief and ensure training on the topic
Follow up of audit recommendations
- Support the projects in the implementation of recommendations from external and internal Audit
- If necessary, facilitate the audit process at projects and mission level
- Liaise and share information with the Internal Audit Unit for cases that need an independent investigation
Promote the Code of Conduct for the management of resources
- Reinforce or remind the knowledge and awareness of the Code of Conduct at field level
- Control that the induction of new staff is including the Code of Conduct for the management of resources.
- He/she is the focal point for insurances (except HR assurances). With a direct support from Insurance referent in HQ, ensure that the strategy defined for insurance is implemented
- Contact with local insurance
- Ensure that sinister are reported and fully documented. Ensure the follow up with HQ referents
- Ensure briefing, animation, training and sensibilization on insurance management
Decrease of cash focal point
- In close collaboration with the Regional Finance Responsible, ensure that projects are using cash when it’s only possible means of payment
- Propose new models to avoid using cash or moving cash inside the mission
- Contact person with service providers
- Follow up and support on implementation of policy decided for the projects
Anti-money laundry and anti-terrorism
- He/she is the focal point for Anti-money laundry and anti-terrorism processes
- With the support from Risks resources unit and Audit department ensure that the processes defined for mitigation of Anti-money laundry and anti-terrorism related risks are respected
- Ensure briefing, animation, training and sensibilization on the topic
Ensure a quality and efficient reporting of Anti-corruption process by the field
- Responsible of the communication plan for the anti-corruption guideline and process
- Support and facilitate the implementation of Anti-Corruption guideline and process in all projects
- Briefing of all new staff on Corruption risks and way to prevent, identify, alert, report corruptions cases
- Ensure trainings on corruption
- Ensure the communication and reporting of Corruption incidents
- Follow up and support to the managers at field level that recommendations from former corruptions cases are in place
- Animate the process by questioning, challenging and providing guidance on reporting
- Follow up and reporting of field corruption cases
Expériences / Formation
- Master’s degree (or equivalent experience) in audit, business management, international relations, finance or related subject
- Minimum 5 years experience in internal audit, internal control activities related to resources management, risk management and/or in relevant operational areas (e.g. project coordination, finance, human resources, logistics); including at least one experience in internal audit and/or internal control activities related to resources management
- Experience of working in the non profit sector
- Good knowledge of internal audit methodologies, resources management processes and internal control systems
- Strong analytical and synthetic skills
- Proven coordination capacities and team leadership
- Rigorous and very well organised
- Excellent written communication capacities
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office and particularly Excel
- Fluent English (oral and written) / French is an asset
- Capacity to influence and persuade
- Ability to establish and retain positive working relationships (both within the team and externally) and to communicate clearly and effectively
- Capacity to work within agreed timeline
- Active listener
- Sense of diplomacy and pedagogy
- Strong cultural awareness and capacities of adaptation
- Willingness to travel overseas under difficult conditions in some insecure and remote locations
- Committed to MSF values and interest for the organisation’s activities
- Starting date: 1st of June 2022
- Fixed-term contract 12 months (possibility of extension) – Full time position
- Location*: Southern Africa region (South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique) or Sierra Leone; eventual other locations with easy access to these locations could be discussed
- The contractual conditions will be established based on the station, on administrative constraints and in respect of MSF function grids and salary policies
- Adhere to the MSF principles and to our managerial values: Respect, Transparency, Integrity, Accountability, Trust and Empowerment
- Adhere to the MSF Behavioral Commitments
*The final outcome depends on local legal limitations (residency, work permit, etc.) and on the agreement with the hosting mission or Partner section
Deadline for application: 5 May 2022
How to apply?
Please, send your CV and cover letter to Recruit.HQ.email@example.com and mention “Field Resources Risk” in the subject of your email.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
MSF values diversity and is committed to create an inclusive working environment. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of disability, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, race, color or ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
The protection of your personal data is important to MSF. By submitting your application, you consent to MSF using your personal data. For more information, consult our privacy notice to job applicants.