Jacaranda FM/The Wits Radio Academy Internship Program 2021 for Young South Africans (Stipend available)
Deadline: May 17, 2021
Applications for the Jacaranda FM/The Wits Radio Academy Internship Program 2021 are now open. Jacaranda FM is searching for two news interns to join their vibrant and dynamic news team. They have partnered with The Wits Radio Academy, a centre of training, research and public engagement in the field of radio. The Academy works with the university’s campus station, Voice of Wits 88.1FM in the heart of Braamfontein.
The two interns will rotate every 6 weeks between both stations for a period of 12 months. Interns will be required to travel between Jacaranda FM (Midrand) and Wits (JHB). Interns should not be committed to other fields of study because they will be required to attend various short courses in radio journalism.
The internship is designed to ensure that learning takes place in the various aspects and operations of a newsroom. The internship will be effective from July 1, 2021 to June 30, 2022 and offers a monthly basic stipend.
At Jacaranda FM, interns will develop skills in the following areas:
- Assist in various areas of the news department, thereby learning the practical skills involved.
- Assist in the general operations of a newsroom.
- Assist journalists in the compilation of their stories.
- Report from the field as well as work on the news desk.
At VowFM, interns will develop skills in the following areas:
- l Compile and read daily bulletins.
- Report from the field.
- Package stories for current affairs programs.
- Be actively involved in the day to day news and current affairs programming.
- Update social media with news content.
- Interns will be required to undertake short courses with the Wits Radio Academy.
- Applicant should have a qualification in Journalism or related field (Bachelors’ Degree or 3 year National Diploma);
- Valid driver’s license or in the process of obtaining one;
- Good command of the English language, Preferably bilingual in Afrikaans and English;
- Quality writing and voicing scripts for radio;
- Check facts, accuracy and quality of stories;
- Operating studio and field recording and production equipment;
- Minimal editing and multi-track mixing experience needed.
The internship is based in Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa. Application deadline is May 17, 2021.Click here to apply