Place: IRAQ (Baghdad with movements throughout federal Iraq and KRG)
Length: 14 months
Starting date: As soon as possible
Closing date for applications: 5th February 2020
“Outraged by the injustice faced by people with disabilities and vulnerable populations,
we aspire to a world of solidarity and inclusion, enriched by our differences,
where everyone can live in dignity”
Handicap International is changing his name and becomes « Humanity & Inclusion ». HI, Humanity & Inclusion is an independent and impartial aid and development organisation with no religious or political affiliations operating in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. We work alongside people with disabilities and vulnerable people to help meet their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights.
Since the organisation was first founded in 1982, we have set up development programmes in 62 countries and responded to many emergencies. Today we have a budget of around 150 million euros, with 3500 employees worldwide.
HI is engaged in an employment policy in favour of disabled workers.
For further information about the association: www.hi.org.
HI has been registered and operational in Iraq since 1991 and has become a lead implementing agency in the emergency response in the Health and Protection sectors, operating across Ninewa, Kirkuk, Baghdad, Sulemaniyah and Diyala Governorates. Since 2014, HI has scaled up its intervention in Iraq to respond to the humanitarian needs generated by the capture of territory by the IS-group, subsequent military operations and the widespread displacement of Iraqi populations.
In line with HI Iraq’s Operational Strategy for the period 2017-2020, the global objective of HI programming in Iraq is to Enhance the protection and resilience of conflict-affected communities in Iraq; an objective achieved through an operational framework of three central pillars:
- Arms Risk Reduction: Reduce the impact of the Conventional Weapon (CW) and Improvised Explosive Devices (IED) for conflict-affected populations through Risk Education and land release
- Health: Improve access to specific services for the most vulnerable people whose physical and functional and/or psychological integrity is compromised, through the provision of physical rehabilitation and Mental Health/Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) services
- Access to Essential Services: Ensure equal access to essential services, protection and basic needs for all conflict-affected populations, including persons with disabilitiesThese pillars are complemented by three cross-cutting themes: a comprehensive approach to mine action, inclusion mainstreaming, and protection mainstreaming.
HI strongly believes that persons with disabilities themselves, as civil society representatives must play a central role in ensuring that their human rights are translated into concrete measure that effectively improve their lives. Our overall objective of projects focused on developing the capacity of CSO’s is to promote the full participation of persons with disabilities in all areas and at all levels. This can only happen with high quality relationship and partnerships. HI in Iraq is supporting and working alongside CSO to strengthen their capacity to engage with both humanitarian and government actors to ensure access to services and promote engagement in the recovery and reconstruction process.
Under the responsibility of the Technical Unit Manager, you contribute to the implementation of the mandate and the 10-year strategy of Humanity & Inclusion. You ensure optimal quality and impact of the projects implemented in the country, through a delegation system with appropriate control mechanisms. You share with all HI managers the responsibility of a sound management and successful functioning of the global organization, through paradigm changes.
In this part your different missions will be:
1.1 Contributes to the regional strategies in line with the global strategies
- Provides sectorial technical inputs to the STRATOPs of the Programmes under his/her scope and in his sectorial scope, in line with the global STRATECH and ensure relevant follow up
- Develops and provides a clear framework for his/her sectorial area to guide programme strategies and proposals.
1.2 Ensure technical support to projects in line with the global technical frameworks and standards on his sectorial scope
- Provide adequate technical guidance and support to Project Managers when relevant (adapt standards to PM’s tools, contribute to proposal writing and reporting) in line with strategies, standards and mandatory transversal approaches
- Ensure adequate support to multi-sector responses within projects, in line with the other Specialists
- Ensure a local sectorial watch, capturing best practice on his sectorial scope
- Contribute to recruitment and briefing when relevant
1.3 Ensure technical learning from projects
- Contribute to projects’ capitalization and ensure technical learning from projects in his sectorial scope
1.4 Ensure the control & monitoring of the technical quality and the relevance of HI’s activities in the Programmes under his scope
- Ensure regular technical quality control of projects and programmes and issue warnings and recommendations
- Monitor the implementation of audit recommendations, if applicable, in his sectorial scope
- Develop tools, resources and training materials as required to ensure the capacity of project staff to deliver high quality actions
1.5 Ensure compliance of the technical proposition with nexus stakes
1.6 Contributes to the development of research and innovation projects in the region when relevant, in his sectorial scope
- Suggest and steer technical innovation projects
- Identify the priorities of Research and Studies and steer R&S
1.7 Contribute to the Technical Divisions professional channel animation
- Contribute to the global animation of the professional channels under his sectorial scope coming from the Technical Divisions (community of practice…)
- Animate a local talent pool in his sectorial scope (carry out technical interviews of candidates and produce recommendations, identify the needs regarding trainings)
Contribute to the local external prestige and influence of HI’s expertise in his sectorial scope
- Represent the technical expertise of HI throughout the local relevant networks and government entities
- Contribute to advocacy on specific themes in line with the global advocacy priorities
- Contribute to communication messages locally in line with the global communication priorities
Ensure the development of major opportunities or new projects in the region under his sectorial scope
- Contributes to the context analysis in his sectorial scope
- Contributes to the design and writing of new projects
- Identify & transform major opportunities in the region under his scope
- Contributes to the conception of major projects (multiple countries, one theme) or of new projects in the region
- Identify & develop local partnerships and/or consortium with NGOs, Institutions, Companies on technical priorities or important topics in the region under his sectorial scope
YOUR PROFILE :
- You hold a master degree or higher in human rights, disability studies, politicial sciences or international development
- You have at least 6 years of progressively responsible work experience in supporting civil society and governance field. Experience with DPOs would be an asset.
- You have experience of training & capacity building
- You have experience in working in partnership, mobilization and animation of networks, with strategic and analytic capabilities
- You demonstrate flexibility and ability to travel frequently
- An experience in disability approach would be a real asset
- You have advanced writing capacities in English
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE POSITION:
The position is based in Baghdad, where there is some, but limited opportunity for social life. Most basic facilities and services are available and accessible.
The position will require frequent travel to the areas of intervention, where HI teams are working.Health facilities and the communities in areas of Baghdad, Anbar and Basra, with some possible additional travel to other HI implementation areas.
The security context remains fluid and movement restrictions can be introduced on an ad hoc basis.
- Starting date : As soon as possible
- Length of the contract: 14 months
- Employee status:
- Salary from 2757€ gross/month regarding the experience of the candidate
- Perdiem : 522€ net/month
- Hardship allowance : 500€ net/month
- Insurances : medical hearth coverage, retirement planning, repatriation
- Paid holiday : 25 days per year
- R&R : 5 days every 3 months
- Status : position unaccompanied
- Housing : Collective taken in charge by HI
Only online by joining a CV and cover letter via the following link:
Only online by joining a CV and cover letter via the following link: