African Union recruits 01 HUMAN RESOURCE OFFICER, ECOSOCC SECRETARIAT
External Publication of Job Posting 50628040
Job Posting Title : HUMAN RESOURCE OFFICER, ECOSOCC SECRETARIAT
Start Date : 10.05.2019
End Date : 10.06.2019
Reference Code : ECOSOCC / 03
Job Title : HUMAN RESOURCE OFFICER, ECOSOCC SECRETARIAT
The African Union, established as a unique Pan African continental body, is charged with spearheading Africa’s
rapid integration and sustainable development by promoting unity, solidarity, cohesion and cooperation among
the peoples of Africa and African States as well as developing a new partnership worldwide. Its Headquarters is
located in Addis Ababa, capital city of Ethiopia.
In seeking to achieve these objectives, the African Union intends to strengthen its capacity to deliver by, among
others, the implementation of new organization structure and the filling of regular vacant posts.
The Commission of the African Union invites applicants who are citizens of Member States for the regular post
of Human Resource Officer (P2) in the Economic, Social and Cultural Council (ECOSOCC) Secretariat located
in Lusaka, Zambia.
ECOSOCC is an advisory organ to the African Union (AU) established in 2004. ECOSOCC is composed entirely
of civil society organizations (CSOs). ECOSOCC’s mandate, amongst other things, include the following:
• Promote continuous dialogue between all segments of the African People on the issues concerning
Africa and its future
• Forge strong partnerships between governments and all segments of the civil society, in particular
women, the youth, children, the Diaspora, organized labour, the private sector and professional groups;
• Promote the participation of African civil society in the implementation of the policies and programmes of the Union.
• Support policies and programmes that will promote peace, security and stability in Africa, and foster
development and integration of the continent;
• Promote and defend a culture of good governance, democratic principles and institutions, popular participation, human rights and freedoms as well as social justice;
• Promote, advocate and defend a culture of gender equality;
• Promote and strengthen the institutional, human and operational capacities of the African civil society;
• Contributing, through advisory opinion, to the effective translation of the AU’s objectives, principles and
policies into concrete programmes, as well as evaluating those programmes
• Contributing to the promotion and realization of the AU’s vision and objectives
• Promoting and supporting the efforts of institutions engaged in reviewing the future of Africa and forging
pan-African values in order to enhance an African social model and way of life.
The Citizens and Diaspora Directorate (CIDO) in the AU Commission act as the current Secretariat for
Job Title: Human Resource Officer
Number of posts: 1 (One)
Department: ECOSOCC Secretariat
Supervisor: Administration and Finance Unit Head
Duty Station: Lusaka, Zambia
3. Job Summary
The Human Resource Officer is the focal person to handle all HR matters at the level of the Secretariat, in the
areas of planning staffing, handling recruitment of staff, employee contract management, managing and leading
staff performance evaluation processes, staff benefits administration, leave, employee relations (discipline and
grievance handling), advising management and staff on AU staff rules and regulations as well as guiding the
office on the implementation of same and HR related policies and procedures.
4. Main Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of the Administration and Finance Unit Head, he/she will be responsible for the following:
Within delegated authority, the Human Resources Officer will have the following responsibilities pertaining to the
support of all categories of staff:
• Coordinate Human Resources Services such as recruitment, contract management of local and international staff, performance management, skills development, leave management and the management of staff conduct and behavior
• Handles human resource planning and implementation of same in planning and coordinating recruitment activities.
• Takes appropriate action in issues related to staffing issues of the Bureau;
• Act as focal person in the provision of staff welfare (e.g. insurance, coordinating arrangement of medical services, counselling services and others).
• Provides advice and support to managers and staff on human resources related matters.
• Monitors and ensures the implementation of human resources policies, practices and procedures in field missions
• Develops deep understanding of the AU Staff Rules and Regulations as well as other administrative
instructions and provides advice on interpretation and application of policies, regulations and rules.
• Keeps abreast of developments in various areas of human resources.
• Prepares reports and participates and/or leads special human resources projects.
• Provides advice on salary and related benefits, travel, and social security entitlements.
• Provides advice on interpretation and application of policies, regulations and rules.
• Assists in preparing policy papers, position papers and briefing notes on various issues related to human resources.
• Supervises the local implementation of the performance management system i.e. ensures the development of individual work plans and periodic evaluation of performance, production and timely submission
• Follows up the contract expiry and renewal schedule of staff and coordinate the renewal of same
• Administers the leave management system
• Administers and provides advice on salary and related benefits and entitlements;
• Produces monthly payroll information for implementation of payroll changes.
• Provides induction, orientation and briefing to new staff members;
• Identifies and analyzes staff development and career support needs and assists with the design of
programmes to meet identified needs;
• Supervises the maintenance of the human resources filing system;
• Supervises the activities of the administrative support team i.e. transport team (Drivers) and cleaning
• Perform any other duties as directed by supervisor(s)
5. Qualification and work experience required:
• A Bachelor degree in Human Resources Management, Business Management/Business Administration
or Public administration, or related fields in Social Sciences and 3-4 years relevant work experience. A
combined experience in Government, NGO or similar multilateral, regional or international institution will be a
• A Diploma level qualification in the above fields and 5 years relevant work experience in the types of
organizations listed above.
• Experience in handling a stand-alone HR role
• Experience as a middle level manager/supervisor in HR will be advantageous
• Membership of a recognized professional HR body or additional academic qualification in a relevant
area of study (see above) is an added advantage.
6. Skills and Knowledge
• Knowledge of and deep understanding of the HR standard practices, procedures and technicalities
• Very good understanding, knowledge and capacity to interpret and implement the provisions of the AU
Staff Regulations and Rules, policies, administrative guidelines etc.
• Excellent drafting and reporting skills;
• Ability to undertake studies and analytical skills associated with good decision-making.
• Experience in recruitment activities, reviewing terms of reference, skill and requirement sets,
interviewing and selection
• Very good knowledge of contract management and administration
• Very good understanding and knowledge of HR technicalities including but not limited to HR planning,
job analysis and evaluation, pay scale and benefits administration, staff welfare management, management of
employee relations, staff development activities etc.
• Ability to undertake studies; make analysis of cases and propose workable solutions in accordance with
the relevant procedures and rules;
• Very good strategic insight to enable the Secretariat set up HR plans and actions targeted towards the
strategic direction and goals of the office
• Excellent capacity to work on office computer applications, well versed in the use of the Internet, MS
Power Point, MS Excel and MS Word.
• Strong practical knowledge and experience in using SAP HR Module are essential.
Communication and knowledge sharing:
• Excellent oral and written communication skills. The ideal candidate should be able to communicate
with influence. Very good drafting skills.
• Readiness to share information and knowledge at all times, drive for results and continuous
• Ability to collaborate and share communication confidently
• Excellent reporting skills.
• Good facilitation and presentation skills
• Readiness to share information whenever required, drive for results and continuous improvement;
• Able to develop others, transfer knowledge.
• Very good listening, negotiating, influencing, mediating and problem solving skills
• Ability to develop trust, apply and institutionalize integrity; demonstrate impartiality
• Demonstrates good decision-making skills.
• Able to value confidentiality
• Demonstrate professionalism and transparency
• Able to effectively work in a multi-cultural environment.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to build effective working relationships both internally and
externally; able to communicate the AU values of respect to diversity and team work;
• Excellent sense of accountability and compliance;
• Able to drive change, help others to adapt to same; demonstrates readiness to generate ideas to
develop best approaches;
• Able to work under pressure, particularly as a professional civil servant in a multi-cultural environment.
Innovation and creativity:
• Ability to come up with an innovative working system and to think and promote implementation, in
communication with those concerned; ability to use the ‘thinking outside the box’ approach in one’s work.
• Inclined towards promoting and achieving excellence.
7. Languages Requirement
Proficiency in one of the African Union working languages (Arabic, English, French and Portuguese) is required.
Knowledge of one or more of the other AU working languages would be an added advantage.
8. Tenure of Appointment
The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve
months will be considered a probationary period. Thereafter the contract shall be renewable every two years
subject to good performance and deliverables.
9. Gender Mainstreaming
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
10. Least Representative Countries
Candidates from the following least represented countries are encouraged to apply: Eritrea, Central African
Republic, Cape Verde, Comoros, Congo (DRC), Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Liberia, Mauritania, Namibia,
Sahrawi Arab Republic, Madagascar, Sao Tome and Principe, Seychelles and Somalia.
Indicative basic salary of US $31,073.00 (P2 Step 1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post
adjustment 44% of basic salary, Housing allowance $ 16,819.80 per annum and education allowance (100% of
tuition and other education related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00
per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally
How to apply
Applications must be made through the AUC E-recruitment Website
http://www.aucareers.org no later than 10 June 2019
1. Attach detailed and updated curriculum vitae/resume including three (3) referees with good knowledge.
Of candidate’s work, please, provide referees’ contact details – telephone and e-mail addresses.
2. Copy of valid passport.
3. Certified copies of educational qualifications – degrees, diplomas and certificates, where applicable (Not
4. More than 5 Documents in PDF Format, and not exceeding 1 MB).
4. Please be aware that only complete applications will be considered.
5. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Applications are pre-screened by the system according to the published requirements of the job opening on the
basis of the information provided in the application. In relation to the requirements of the job opening, applicants
must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their qualifications, including their education, work
experience, and language skills. Each applicant must bear in mind that submission of incomplete or inaccurate
applications may render that applicant ineligible for consideration for the job opening. Initial screening and
evaluation of applications will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted. Applications cannot be
amended following submission. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to a
reference-checking process to verify the information provided in the application.
Directorate of Administration and Human Resources Management
African Union Commission
Regular (Long Duration)