Job Title: Global Research and Data Analysis Specialist
Location: based in Tunis with negotiable flexibility (home-based during COVID-19 period)
Travel: 10-20% travel time is expected
Type of contract: 8 months with possibility of extension
Starting date: ASAP
Gross salary: To be defined according to the candidate’s profile
Application deadline: 23 April 2020
Application procedure: Send your CV and Cover Letter to email@example.com with reference LT1.2 or click here. Only preselected candidates will be contacted; the applications will be reviewed as they are received and the position may be awarded before the deadline.
WeWorld-GVC, recently constituted from the merger of two NGOs, is an Italian secular and independent organization working since 1971 in international cooperation and humanitarian aid. Present in 29 countries with 128 projects, WeWorld-GVC operates in the following areas of assistance: human rights (gender equality, prevention and combating violence against children and women, migration), humanitarian aid (prevention, emergency relief and rehabilitation), food security, access to water, health and hygiene, education, global citizenship education, quality teaching and international volunteering. WeWorld-GVC works mostly with girls, boys, women and youth, actors of change in every community for a fairer and more inclusive world. Supports people overcoming emergencies and guarantees a life with dignity, opportunities and a better future through human and economic development programs, in the framework of the 2030 Agenda. Joining the WeWorld-GVC team means being part of the development of a dynamic organization where the contribution of each staff member is promoted and valued, working together towards the collective achievement of shared goals and vision.
The Global Research and Data Analyst Specialist (RDAS) is a core staff of WeWorld-GVC International Advocacy and Innovation Unit (IAIU). Since 2013 WeWorld-GVC has been studying and developing an innovative approach to combine quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis to inform integrated programs. A model of the approach, including an internally designed advanced technological and digital in-house system, is used in major programs in the oPt and Lebanon, and several pilots, joint research programs, applicability studies and applications are ongoing in other 9 WeWorld-GVC missions. The innovative multi-sector coding of qualitative information and the combination with quantitative data and analysis is looked upon by major partners and agencies to support the elaboration of Humanitarian Programs, and more precisely the analysis of Protection Risks to inform integrated strategies (Humanitarian-Development).
The current WeWorld-GVC positioning in multi-sector integrated approaches (see here and here) and the unique role of the IAIU within WeWorld-GVC of strategic research for programs and advocacy provide the RDAS with a unique role to lead in the design and development of instruments and analysis to increase the scalability and impact of programs, specifically in Protracted and Complex crises. The RDAS will lead specifically Data Analysts in the IAIU and in Missions to advance research and development; elaborate, write and position bespoke data analysis studies, briefings and reports in interaction with existing Consortia, UN and other coordination mechanisms; propose and establish innovative partnerships with Universities, Research Centers and Data Analysis major actors.
The IAIU is WeWorld-GVC Unit providing policy direction and support to the organization in International Advocacy and Innovation. The IAIU objectives are: reinforce WWGVC position in international debates through effective rights and evidence based initiatives; consolidate the Community Protection Approach (CPA), and provide instruments and research to reinforce the organization’s capacity.
This position is lined managed directly to the IAIU Coordinator and works closely with the CPA Global Programme Coordinator, the Information Management Program Manager and the Global Protection Specialist. The RDAS provides technical line management to the dedicated Data Analyst Officers in the different GVC Missions’, upon IAIU Coordinator assignments.
A major line of work of the RDAS builds upon the Community Protection Approach – CPA. The CPA is a community engagement and empowerment instrument to design and monitor Integrated Protection Strategies, provide operational tools to facilitate coherence, collaboration and complementarity between different foreign and national aid instruments and find sustainable solutions to a given population’s needs and problems.
Further details and information can be found here.
- Lead the development and research of quantitative and qualitative instruments and analysis.
- Monitor global initiatives and developments on data collection, analysis and frameworks within and across NGOs, the UN, other international organizations and research institutes.
- Assist the CPA Global Coordinator, the Global Protection Specialist and the Information Management Manager to advance research and analysis of the CPA.
- Coordinate the elaboration of standard Key Data Analysis reports and studies, including WeWorld-GVC missions´ specific SitReps, thematic reports and briefings to Humanitarian Coordination mechanisms.
- Develop and write high-level analytical reports and studies to advance research on Protection Risk and Multi-sector analyses, including bespoke sector specific researches.
- Conduct and manage research projects that leverage WeWorld-GVC data on integrated programming to support the strategic design and/or development of thematic programming (e.g. education, health, gender, access).
- Cultivate and maintain a network of contacts within the broader community and beyond to expand WeWorld-GVC knowledge sharing through exchanges, coordination and partnerships.
- Ensure and reinforce the continuity and consistency between WeWorld-GVC consolidated internal data and externally distributed analytical products on a global level.
- Assist the Information Management Program Manager to ensure the highest-level of innovation of WeWorld-GVC CPA dedicated software and platform
- Assist WeWorld-GVC missions through strategic and technical advice and executive work to capitalize the best complementarity between WeWorld-GVC models and other existing methodologies.
- Lead on behalf of the IAIU Coordinator and the IAIU, the identification of innovative solutions to maintain the relevance of WeWorld-GVC Data Analysis models in line with international standards and particularly ICRC, IASC, Global Clusters, ECHO and other relevant UN systems.
- Provide technical supervision and coordinate the work of National Research and Data Analyst in WW-GVC mission to build synergies between global and local developments and innovations.
Qualifications and Knowledge
- Master degree in Social Sciences, Political Science or International Relations with major on social research methods or statistics, or in Information Technology or Statistics, with strong background in social and human sciences (alternative experience may be considered)
- Proven knowledge and analytical skills with Qualitative and Quantitative information
- Ability to collect, clean, organize and triangulate large amounts of information from different sources and of different types
- Excellent computer skills
- Fluency in English both written and verbal
- At least 4 years of relevant working experience
- At least 2 years of working experience in developing countries
- At least 2 years of experience in research methodologies and data analysis
- At least 1 year of experience with common data science toolkits (R, Stata, SQL, Python)
Skills and Abilities
- Capacity to perform, advance analysis and report results and visualizations to multiple audiences (donor, partners, general public, academic, government…)
- Stress management and adaptability
- Team work and team management
- Intercultural awareness and respectful attitude towards other customs and traditions
- Ability to work independently and set own objectives
- Proven organizational skills and ability to effectively manage multiple tasks while fostering quality, team spirit and positive working relationships with colleagues
- Knowledge of French, Spanish and/or Arabic
- Knowledge of the CPA methodology is highly valuable
- Experience in project cycle management
- Experience in MEAL, proposal writing and donor reporting
- Experience in Information Management or Information Technology related field