Welthungerhilfe recruits 01 Expert Humanitarian Assessments & Conflict Analysis (Part-Time 60%)*
The position is to be filled as soon as possible, with an initial contract period of two years due to the project duration. There are good prospects for an extension. You are home based, but are globally deployable to reinforce Welthungerhilfe’s Country Offices in delivering effective programming for people in need, particularly in working with Country Office staff to build their assessment and analysis capacity.
As Expert Humanitarian Assessments & Conflict Analysis, you will be responsible for guiding, executing and providing coaching and training on conflict and context analyses, humanitarian needs assessments & analysis, and disaster risk analysis in Welthungerhilfe’s Country Offices or on assignments in countries where Welthungerhilfe (WHH) does not have an operational presence. In this manner you will help build staff capacity within these Country Offices over the long term to carry out these actions and ensure the results are then reflected in program strategies, project design, and implementation. You will provide this support predominantly through being deployed in-country where possible and also remotely from home depending on the context. You will be part of the Assessments and Analysis for Action (3A) team, which is managed by Welthungerhilfe’s Humanitarian Directorate and is comprised of two Experts Humanitarian Assessments and Conflict Analysis and one 3A Coordinator. The specific aims of the position are:
- Increase conflict and context analysis capacities in WHH programming, to improve program quality and enable all WHH work to be conflict sensitive as a minimum standard
- Increase humanitarian needs assessment capacity to help ensure effective, timely and relevant assistance for people in need
- Increase disaster risk analysis capacity to help ensure Country Offices maintain a high degree of emergency preparedness
Humanitarian Needs Assessments
- Provide direct support to Country Offices in humanitarian needs assessments and implementing follow on actions, including program response and development support. These assessments include rapid multisectoral assessments and more in-depth sector focused assessments on the WHH core sectors of Food Security & Nutrition, WASH, Shelter & Settlement (incl. NFI) and are executed in consideration of GAD (Gender Age and Diversity) requirements and protection mainstreaming guiding principles
- Support country teams and partners to develop their capacity in undertaking humanitarian needs assessments and analysis, and then integrating findings in the program response
- Conduct humanitarian needs assessment and analysis field missions in non-program countries if needed
Conflict and Context Analysis
- Undertake conflict and context analysis processes and exercises with the Country Offices in coordination with the Humanitarian Directorate
- Provide effective capacity building, including coaching and training of Country Office staff in context analysis and conflict analysis
- Support the subsequent development of updated Country Strategies or operational program documents in line with the context analysis produced
Disaster Risk Analysis
- Undertake disaster risk-analysis processes and exercises with the Country Offices in coordination with the Humanitarian Directorate
- Provide effective capacity building, including coaching and training of Country Office staff in disaster risk-analysis
Assessment and Analysis Toolkit Development
- Contribute to the further development of WHH conflict, context, humanitarian needs, and disaster risk assessment and analysis toolkits
- A university or polytechnical degree in a relevant field
- At least three years of professional experience in emergency relief operations covering programme development and implementation
- A high degree of experience in facilitating and executing conflict and context analysis processes and integrating the findings into programming
- Extensive experience in undertaking humanitarian needs assessments and analysis for programme and project development as part of project cycle management
- Experience in data collection and management as part of assessment and analysis processes
- Experience in ensuring that assessments and analysis incorporate gender, age and diversity (GAD) considerations and protection issues
- Experience in leading multi-cultural teams and building the capacity of staff over the long term through training and coaching
- In-depth knowledge of international and national humanitarian coordination mechanisms
- Willingness to be on call in the event of an acute disaster as well as ensuring readiness for deployments of up to 3 months to support projects already underway at home and abroad
- Readiness to receive necessary vaccinations for traveling to Welthungerhilfe’s project countries
- Excellent spoken and written English language skills; Excellent spoken and written French language skills are highly desirable
We offer you the opportunity to work in a responsible and interesting field as part of an extremely dedicated team. Welthungerhilfe attaches great importance to the personal and professional development of its employees and the balance of their work and private life. This includes flexible working hours as well as working from home. Remuneration is based on our gender-independent salary scale. In addition, Welthungerhilfe offers numerous other benefits, which are listed under « Our benefits ».
Please send your application via our online recruiting system by May 15, 2022 by following this link by following this link. Welthungerhilfe is committed to fighting terrorism in all its activities. Accordingly, any applicant who is offered employment will be screened against lists of known and suspected terrorists.
*Welthungerhilfe values diversity and ensures an inclusive, non-discriminatory working environment. We welcome applications from suitably qualified people from all sections of the community.