The problem: In 2017, nearly 60% of adults in sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That’s for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
How we’re solving it: We’re building financial services to work as they should: no account fees, instantly available and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don’t always function, we’re creating financial infrastructure that « just works. » In fall 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments; our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. That’s where you come in…
How you’ll help us achieve it
We’re looking for a customer service lead who’s resourceful and excited about getting things done. You’ll be responsible for leading our customer service team as we rapidly scale our business in Senegal.
In this role, you’ll:
– Ensure the smooth functioning of customer support services at Wave
– Manage, coordinate and train a team of 30+ support representatives And Group leads.
– Building user loyalty by being the voice of Wave when users call in for support or more information
– Managing the Support team, including their schedule and carrying out their performance reviews
– Providing training and refresher courses for the support team to ensure they
– Ensuring quality service for all Wave users
– Reporting bugs detected to engineers
– Preparing periodic reports on the activity of the support
– Assessing and communicating Human Resources and material needs to achieve all support related activities
– Participating and leading interview process for new hires
– Leading by Wave’s values
Location: Primarily based in Dakar with possible relocation to other offices in Senegal
Work authorization in Senegal required
This is a permanent position
– Strong proficiency in English and French (other languages or local languages may be a asset)
– At least two years’ experience leading a team (bonus point if call center team!)
– Experience working at an international company
– A secondary degree education
– At least 1 year’s experience in customer service or call center operations
Preferable aptitudes and qualities:
– Have managed successful teams to achieve ambitious goals
– Are intellectually curious, creative in the way you go about
tackling problems, and embrace failure as a means to spark innovation and growth.
– Demonstrate tenacity and a willingness to go the distance to get something done
– Are comfortable defaulting to over-communication and overreaching when it comes to coordination
– Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions and cope effectively with complexity and change
– Are analytical in your approach to problems
– Are excessively detail oriented and seek to achieve excellence in everything you do
– Have mobile wallet or money transfer background
We have a Country Office in Senegal with about 70 people. We are deeply passionate about our mission of bringing great financial services to the people who need them most.
We’re backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.