UNHCR recruits 01 Refugee Outreach Assistant – LICA 5
The Refugee Outreach Assistant will be supervised by the Spokesperson and Senior External Relations Officer. S/he will play an essential role in supporting UNHCR’s strategy and activities implemented since 2015 to amplify refugee voices and foster a favorable protection environment and a better comprehension of forced displacements and UNHCR’s role by the public (donors, NGO, governement, refugees, civil society, etc.). UNHCR is ensuring that refugees are meaningfully and continuously involved in decisions that directly impact their lives. Through direct engagement with refugees and other POCs, UNHCR France builds on their skills, capacities and knowledge in all their interventions, including in advocacy. The incumbent of the position will perform his/her mission upholding highest standards of integrity, professionalism and respect for diversity.
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
Liaise with refugees and asylum seekers and a network of partners to enhance participation of refugees in decisions influencing their lives
• Through relationships with refugees, asylum seekers and network of partners, stay abreast of political, social, economic and cultural developments that have an impact on the participation of refugees in decisions influencing their lives.
• Identify volunteer networks and refugee led organizations that would be most appropriate for exploring avenues of collaboration on engagement and outreach, integration, and combating xenophobia and racism;
• Provide training to volunteer and refugee led organizations, where relevant, on protection, community outreach and engagement, identifying specific needs and available services. Support the implementation and coordination of UNHCR France’s network of refugee volunteers
• Coordinate the UNHCR France’s network of refugee volunteers: planning meetings, drafting reports and take action accordingly;
• Identify training and support needs of identified volunteer groups;
• Collaborate with relevant stakeholders on the preparation of training modules for volunteers;
• Share information in appropriate languages and formats, including about their rights, available services, and the work of UNHCR and its partners;
• Facilitate the participation of refugee volunteers in awareness-raising and engagement activities.
Support UNHCR France activities related to communication with communities
• Maintain and develop two-way communication mechanisms between UNHCR, refugees and asylum seekers, and relevantstakeholders;
• Support participatory assessments and ongoing consultation with PoC;
• Ensure community understanding of UNHCR’s commitment to deliver on accountability and quality assurance in its response;
Perform other related duties as required
• Draft and classify correspondence, documents and reports and maintain up-to-date filing systems;
• Contribute to the planning, monitoring and evaluation of UNHCR activities.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
1-Liaise with refugees and asylum seekers and a network of partners to enhance participation of refugees in decisions influencing their lives:
• UNHCR Network of refugee and asylum seeker volunteers maintained ;
• Database of vonluteer networks and refugee led organizations regularly updated.
2-Support the implementation and coordination of UNHCR France’s network of refugee volunteers:
• At least four meetings planned on bridging the digital gap, access to employment, fight against xenophobia and racism, awareness raising events.
• 4 above mentionned meetings organized, agenda and minutes drafted.
• Joint events organized
• Sensitization campaigns conducted in coordination with other colleagues.
3-Support UNHCR France activities related to communication with communities:
• Two-ways communication with mechanisms between UNHCR, refugees and asylum seekers, and relevant stakeholders maintained and developed
• Participatory assessments and ongoing consultation with PoC on UNHCR’s projects and activities supported.
Expériences / Formation
• Completion of the Secondary Education with post-secondary training in Law, Political Science, Social Science or related field.
• Communication and computer skills.
• Excellent drafting skills as well as translation skills.
• Excellent knowledge of French and working knowledge of English.
• Minimum 2 years of previous relevant job experience.
• Experience in participatory approaches desirable.
• Experience in event coordination and implementation desirable.
• Completion of UNHCR Learning Programmes or specific training relevant to functions of position.
• Knowledge of another UN language is an asset.
• Organizational awareness ;
• Change capability & adaptability ;
• Planning and organizing ;
• Accountability ;
• Teamwork & collaboration.
Candidates are invited to send their application on UNHCR platform, before Monday, 14 December. Follow the link, click on « Vacancies » and type« 23635» in the search tool.