U.S. Embassy in Addis Ababa: Funding Opportunity for Ethiopia Hacks
Deadline: 16 September 2018
The U.S. Embassy in Addis Ababa has announced an open competition for non-governmental and non- profit organizations as well as individuals to submit applications to organize and execute 7 hackathons over the course of FY19 entitled: Ethiopia Hacks.
The goal of this project is to increase technological engagement with Ethiopian Youth with coding and software development experience and work with them to find practical, technological solutions to challenges in their communities. Through the program, they will be introduced to U.S. Public Affairs platforms and resources such as American Spaces and the Young African Leadership Initiative (YALI) Network.
The U.S. Embassy seeks a collaborative partner to organize and execute 7 hackathons over the course of FY19, with four in the capital Addis Ababa and three at regional American Corners in Jimma, Bahir Dar, and Dire Dawa. Topics will be selected to complement key U.S. goals and initiatives, and publicized on regional and national media.
Each event will consist of two days engaging up to 100 young developers in a hackathon, with winners receiving prizes and awards.
- Ethiopia is the second most-populous country in Africa with more than 70% of its population under the age of 35. This population of youth faces enormous challenges in terms of education, employment, access to technology, and opportunities to create and innovate. Hackathon participants are between the age of 18-25 thus hosting a Hackathon at American Spaces allows PAS Addis to better understand how best to inspire Ethiopian youth to imagine, plan, compose, invent, create, innovate, build and construct.
- Collaborate with the U.S. Embassy to organize and execute 7 hackathons over the course of the one-year grant period, with four quarterly events in Addis Ababa and three at regional American Corners in Jimma, Bahir Dar, and Dire Dawa. Topics will be provided by the Embassy in coordination with the implementing partner.
- Award amounts: awards may reach a maximum of $39,060
- Total available funding: $39,060
- Anticipated program start date: October 2018
The following organizations are eligible to apply:
- Nonprofit and or non-governmental organizations working in the area of technological development and communication
How to Apply
Proposals must be submitted at the address given on the website.
For more information, please visit U.S. Embassy in Addis Ababa.