Position starting date: as soon as possible
Duration: open-ended contract
Activity rate: 100%
Location: Lausanne (Switzerland) with regular travel up to 30% of working time
Deadlines for application: 15th December 2020
Terre des hommes (Tdh) is the largest Swiss children’s relief organization. Since 1960, Tdh has been helping to build a better future for disadvantaged children and their communities through innovative and sustainable solutions. Present in 32 countries with an operational budget of more than 90 million Swiss francs, Tdh works with local and international partners to develop and implement in-field projects that improve daily lives of more than three million children and their families in the areas of health, protection and emergency. Our mission is financed by individual and institutional donors, with administrative costs kept to a minimum.
Under the supervision of the Operations manager and for the Delegations under his/her responsibility,
The Deputy contributes to the deployment of Tdh’s 2030 Vision and to the five-year strategic plan implementation, in accordance with the Foundation’s social mission and code of conduct / guidelines.
S/he enforces the Foundation’s policies and guidelines within its field teams. S/he ensures the smooth cross-functionality of the teams under her/his responsibility; and between headquarters and field teams in order to promote / strengthen cohesion.
S/he manages finances (expenditures) with all prudence and in accordance with policies and guidelines of the Finance Department. In coordination with the Human Resources Department, s/he identifies and plans human resources needs necessary to ensure the proper implementation and functioning of field operations. S/he thus contributes to the development of our Foundation’s talent pool.
S/he ensures the efficient implementation and follow-up of the Foundation’s security and safety plan and procedures. S/he oversees the security management of field staff during security incidents; in collaboration with HQ Risks team.
S/he represents the Foundation in dealings with institutional and private partners. Upon request of Communication Department, s/he is available for contacts with press and media.
S/he demonstrates strong, ethical and exemplary leadership to maintain our Foundation’s good reputation.
S/he is accountable to the beneficiaries, collaborators and donors.
S/he may act as interim Operations Manager, if necessary.
- Lead the construction of the annual action plan of each Delegation under her/his responsibility, in accordance with the Foundation’s five-year strategic plan and the priorities set by the Direction of Operations, and in coordination with the programmatic teams
- Act as main focal point for the Country Representative and their coordination teams on a day-to-day basis; in response to their needs, support and advise the Country Representative
- Set the objectives for all staff under her/his direct supervision, more importantly Country Representatives
- Anticipate, analyze and alert the Operations Manager concerning all risks related to activities of her/his Delegations, whether programmatic, security, legal or financial
- Takes part to the Country Representatives recruitments process, to their onboarding and briefings, as well as the continuous training of field staff; and carry out professional appraisal interviews in accordance with internal processes
- Be constantly informed of the geopolitical, socio-economic and humanitarian contexts’ evolution within the intervention areas under her/his responsibility; and provide an overall analysis of these regions as part of the action plan and annual report definition
- Come up with ideas and suggestions to the Operations Manager regarding the choice of exploratory missions and opening of new interventions
- Being responsible of information gathering and monitoring of security contexts in the Delegations within her/his operational perimeter, develop a global vision of risks’ evolution through the implementation of projects, namely through the development of a network of partners and external resources
- Follow and lead the management of security incidents in Delegations under her/his responsibility in accordance with the Foundation’s internal protocol and procedures
- University education, Master’s level or equivalent;
- At least 5 years’ experience in a leadership position in the international humanitarian or development sector;
- At least 1 year experience the MENA region and preferably in volatile and high security contexts;
- At least 1 year experience in a managerial position in a headquarter;
- Proven experience in managing projects financed by institutional donors (particularly SDC, ECHO, UN Agencies, OFDA, BPRM);
- Excellent knowledge of humanitarian and development intervention/action and its environment;
- Proven capacity for strategic thinking, analysis and synthesis;
- Ethical and exemplary leadership;
- Strong team spirit, flexibility, rigor, excellent organizational skills;
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills (active listening skills);
- Taste for network representation and development;
- Excellent writing and representation skills in French and English;
- Knowledge of a third language is an asset, especially Arabic;
Tdh Global Code of Conduct and Risk Management Policies
- Fully complies with Tdh’s Global Code of Conduct and systematically reports any breach to the Code through the whistleblowing procedure raises awareness within the Foundation on abuse and violence and the rights deriving therefrom, respecting the rights and dignity of children, members of the communities and our own Staff
- Commits to respecting Risk Management Policies including: Safeguarding Policies (Child Safeguarding Policy, Policy on the Protection against Sexual Exploitation and the Directive on Staff Misconduct at the Workplace), Safety and Security Policy and Anti-Fraud/Corruption and Prevention of the Financing of Criminal Activities Policies
- Commits to reducing the risk of abuse and harm by developing a culture of open and informed leadership within the organization and in our work with children and the communities in which we intervene in.
We offer an exciting and varied work, useful and meaningful, in a team that wants to make a difference for vulnerable children.
Are you interested? Do you want to face this challenge?
Please applying directly online: http://www.jobs.net/j/JHXgVfMM?idpartenaire=20002
Application files sent through our official website will be processed only if complete (CV + cover letter). Additional documents (diplomas, work certificates, etc.) will be requested at a later stage.
We will be in touch with the shortlisted candidates only in the selection process – with the large number of applications received, we unfortunately cannot provide personal follow-up to the larger candidate pool. Thanks for your understanding.
For any questions you can consult the FAQ below the job advertisements.
To know more about Terre des hommes: https://vimeo.com/253387418