Solidarites International recruits 01 Reporting & communication officer (H/F) – AMMAN
Desired start date: 01/07/2021 Duration of the mission: 6 months (volunteer position) Location: Amman, Jordan
ABOUT THE MISSION…
Solidarites International (SI) has been working in Syria since 2012.
There are 3 main implementing offices in Northern Syria, divided into two regions North East Syria (NES) and North West Syria (NWS);
– In NES SI set up two main offices (Raqqa and Amuda) and one sub office in Hassake.
– In NWS, SI set up a main office in Suran (Azzaz district) and 1 Sub Office Jarablus.
Otherwise, Si has set up a Liaison office in Erbil and the coordination is based in Amman, Jordan.
The total financial volume of the mission for 2020 was approximately of 26 million EUR. The mission has now reached a number of approximately 42 expatriates and 250 national employees.
Type and content of program: Syria mission is dedicated to work on recently opened and challenging areas to provide lifesaving activities to the population affected by the conflict. The SI Syria Mission implements 5 grants at the moment, with strong expertise and focus on WASH, including rehabilitation of public WASH infrastructures. SI Syria program also includes private and public shelter rehabilitation, Multi-Purpose Cash Assistance and through its partners: health, nutrition and protection.
In Hassakeh & in Ar-Raqqa Governorate (NES), main current activities are related to:
- Wash (water supply, latrines and showers construction, waste management, hygiene promotion) in IDP settlements
- Distribution of essential in kind NFI and cash (wash, shelter, winterization) for vulnerable populations.
The program includes as well a great part of more durable activities:
- Water stations and network rehabilitations,
- Institutional rehabilitations (hospitals, schools).
Additionally, SI has a contingency and capacity to respond to emergencies in all NES and has been responding to the COVID-19 crisis (some specifically dedicated grants are ongoing).
The NWS intervention is targeting northern Aleppo country side at Azaz, Al Bab and Jarablus (direct implementation) and Afrin (through a partner, Action for Humanity) districts through a WASH, Shelter, NFI and Winterization support to displaced population and host communities. The main activities are:
- Provision of safe water: Water trucking and/or water supply (water pumping, water treatment and construction of water networks)
- Construction and maintenance of sanitation facilities and infrastructures rehabilitation
- Waste removal services
- Hygiene Promotion
- Distribution of hygiene kits & top ups, kitchen kits, new arrivals Kits and emergency shelter kits and tents.
- MPCA (multipurpose cash assistance)
ABOUT THE JOB
- The Reporting / Communications Officer (RCO)’s primary role is to produce and synthesize high quality reports, proposals, assessment reports and more broadly any documents distributed externally. To achieve these tasks the RCO works in close coordination with the Grant Coordinator, the Deputy Country Director for programs, the PMs, the partnership manager and the IM officer.
- The RCO will support the CD in improving internal communication at coordination level as well as internal communication with field bases.
- Under the responsibility of the CD and guidance from the Grant coo, the RCO will be involved in implementing a communication strategy for an external audience.
The main challenges:
- Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, field visits are less frequent and collection of communication materials from the field therefore depends mostly on the PMs in the field.
- An anticipated decrease in funding, means that a lot of time and attention is directed and fundraising and proposal development. This can impact on time available for reporting/guidance to the RCO, who is expected to work relatively independently.
Priorities for the 2/3 first months:
- Further development and coordination of the Monthly SI Syria Sitrep to be shared with HQ
- Under guidance of the CD, continue discussion with HQ to include Syria in its communication strategy. Message: the protracted nature of the crisis may result in donor fatigue and a decreased interest from the general public. It is important to emphasize that humanitarian needs continue to soar unabated.
The base is mainly funded under BHA, CDCS, ECHO, ICSP and others under discussion.
- Strong knowledge of donors’ policies and guidelines;
- Strong knowledge of the project cycle management;
- Strong knowledge of principled-based approaches and advocacy skills;
- Excellent communication, networking skills, organizational and prioritization skills, ability to multi-task
- Excellent reporting and writing skills
- Extensive knowledge of project cycle management
- Used to work in political and security volatile environments
- Capacity to adapt and show organizational flexibility
- Cross cultural sensitivity, good sense of humor and great team member
- Fluent English (written, spoken and reading), essential for numerous external coordination and representation meetings with other NGOs, UN agencies, donors and governmental bodies.
- Knowledge of Arabic is an asset
- Computer literacy with very good command of MS Office Suite.
- Understanding on the regional cultural sensitivity
- Interest in and knowledge about content creation
SI WILL OFFER YOU
A volunteer position: 880 euros gross per month (including 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly).
The perdiem rate for Jordan is 785 USD a month.
SI also covers accommodation costs and travel expenses between the expatriate’s country of origin and the place of assignment.
Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of 7 working days every three months. The expatriate will have a 7 working days break at 3 months (with 850 USD allocated by Solidarités).
To these break periods, it is necessary to add the granting of one additional rest day per month worked.
Social and medical cover: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
The position is based in Amman, where living conditions are very good. Office and GHs are high standard, and Amman is a safe place to live in. The RCO will be housed in the SI guesthouse, a 5-minute walk from the office.
Please note that SI strongly recommends its staff to get the vaccination against COVID 19, using WHO-approved vaccines. If possible, the vaccination should be done before departure, in order to reduce the future logistical constraints once on the field (administration of the 2nd dose within a certain time frame)
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension
For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/