||Position: Middle-East Desk Assistant
City: Clichy-la-Garenne (Hauts de Seine (92))
SOLIDARITES INTERNATIONAL is a French humanitarian organization which provides aid and assistance to victims of war or natural disaster. For over 35 years the association has focused on meeting three vital needs – water, food and shelter – by carrying out emergency programs followed by longer-term reconstruction projects. Whilst fully respecting the assisted populations’ customs and culture, SOLIDARITES INTERNATIONAL’s programs are implemented through the joint expertise of over 2,000 employees. Solidarités International is currently present in Africa (Central African Republic, Cameroun, South Sudan, Mali, Nigeria, Chad, Democratic Republic of the Congo), in Asia (Bangladesh, Myanmar), in Haiti, and in the Middle-East (Lebanon, Syria, Iraq and Yemen).
The internship will take place within the Middle-East Desk, as part of the direction of operations (30 persons – also including 4 geographical desks and a technical department). The Middle East Desk is in charge of following the missions in Lebanon, Syria, Iraq and Yemen and is comprised of: a Desk Manager, a Program Manager, a Project Development and Accountability Manager, a Logistics Manager, a Supply Manager, two Finance Managers, a Regional Access and Security Advisor, and a Regional Wash Specialist. The Middle East Desk Assistant will work under the joint supervision of the two Finance Managers, and will take part in regular weekly and monthly meetings.
MAIN OBJECTIVES OF THE INTERNSHIP:
- To assist in the execution of accounting and financial management tasks;
- To assist on reviewing and submitting project proposals and financial reports, and the regular updating of trackers and follow-up tools;
- To ensure proper filing, archiving and centralization of finance documentation;
- To facilitate communication between missions and HQ on finance related matters.
Accounting and Financial Management
- Support the finance managers in all missions-related accountancy tasks
- Check the analytical and accounting allocations for all missions
- Assist missions’ Administrative and Financial Coordinators in:
- The analytical allocation of HQ invoices for missions purposes
- The analytical allocation of salaries/indemnities, insurance fees, flight tickets and other travel expenses of the expatriates
- Contribute to the year-end accounting closing
- Learn to use accounting software like SAGA (mission)
- Contract parameters (Excel file) check
- Financial management
- Support missions: daily management of Financial Mission team queries
- Contribute to the missions’ budget follow-up check
- Contribute to the budgetary check of proposals to donors
- Contribute to the validation of the missions’ interim and final financial reports to donors
- Assist in the preparation of financial audits
- Contribute to the validation of cash flow forecasts
OUTCOMES OF THE INTERNSHIP:
- Discover how a NGO Headquarters works;
- Understand the relationships between the Field and Headquarters;
- Understand the relationships between the different humanitarian actors;
- Develop knowledge of humanitarian donors’ requirements;
- Develop finance related knowledge and skills;
- Discover the functioning of a mission and its specific constraints;
- Discover the various working positions in the field.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field (for instance international development, humanitarian action, international relations, political science, project management, business or financial management);
- Excellent written and spoken English and French;
- Strong attention to detail, and excellent analytical, writing and synthesis skills;
- Accounting and financial training is not essential, but a facility with numbers and a strong willingness to learn is required;
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office, and especially of Excel, Word, and online research tools;
- Proactive and critical mind;
- Ability to organize and plan effectively;
- Interpersonal skills and diplomacy;
- Ability to work under stress;
- Genuine commitment to the principles and work of SOLIDARITES INTERNATIONAL.
- Monthly compensation: 554 €
- Benefits: 50% of transportation costs, and 60% of the monthly cost of food vouchers (tickets restaurant of a value of 8,90 € per working day)
- Paid leave policy: 2 paid leaves per month
- Desired start date: Mid-December 2019 or early January 2020
- Duration: 6 months minimum
- This internship requires an internship agreement with a university.
Please send your CV and Cover letter (both in English) to: Assit.Desk.Pink@solidarites.org no later than Friday 20th of December. Applications will be reviewed that week; technical tests and interviews will take place the week after. We’d like the successful candidate to join our team Mid-December 2019 or early January 2020.