Desired start date: February 1st 2020
Duration of the mission: 5 months (renewable)
Location: Position based in Beirut
ABOUT THE MISSION…
Lebanon hosts about 1.5 million Syrian refugee, mainly in its northern governorate (Akkar and Tripoli) and in the Bekaa Valley. SOLIDARITES INTERNATIONAL (SI) has launched its operations in Lebanon in March 2013 in order to address the immediate needs of both Syrian refugee and Lebanese host families also affected by the crisis. Solidarités International’s mission in Lebanon has two operational bases (Tripoli and Zahle) and a coordination office in Beirut.
Key areas of intervention for the mission are the following:
- Emergency WaSH service provision in informal settlements (UNICEF funding)
- Emergency multi-sectoral response & Protection/Shelter activities (ECHO funding)
- Multi-scale urban approach (OCHA, UN-HABITAT)
- Mapping of informal settlements (MEDAIR / UNHCR)
- Third Party Monitoring & Evaluation of multi-purpose cash program (DFID/ECHO/Norway/Germany through a consortium)
ABOUT THE JOB
SI is currently improving its information management capacities. In Lebanon, data structures and channels, as well as roles and responsibilities have been redefined in an innovative way in the past 3 years. Internal and external data flows are being optimized at each project cycle step and an information system was developed locally in order to follow the existing workflow and manage data from all activities, easing up the collaboration between different departments.
Following an innovation development process, the SOLIS project opens new ways of data management in the digital emergent market of Humanitarian organizations.
It is one of the first time that humanitarian sector is being investing in structuring and optimizing its data flows with the scope of injecting private sectors practices. Its objective is to position the system as leading product allowing increased operational programs design capacity and cost efficiency.
The project, rolled out a first iteration in 2017 that helped the mission to better frame the users’ needs and expectations. The V2, based on an improved data model and frontend restricted to our referral activities has been deployed early 2019. The project is now about to launch the extended full version of the system to comprise all programmatic team of the mission. Acting as a complete internal CRM, the system is also including added external module including Mobile data Collection, WhatsApp bot messaging, BI Dashboarding tool and GIS visualization.
Under the supervision of the IM Coordinator, the Technical Project Manager supports the system full development with the technical strategic orientation of the application.
(S)He manage installed system, supports system deployments and new components integration, suggests improvements, and produces documentation when needed. He/she in charge of process design and follow up of the continuous system operation, maintenance, integrity and security.
- The SOLIS project Team within the IM Department is composed of one IM Coordinator and one Technical Project Manager. The IM Coordinator is the hierarchical and Functional Manager of the Technical Project Manager.
- The Technical Project Manager manage the tasks contracted with external developers consultant.
MAIN RESPONSABILITIES :
- In collaboration with the IM Coordinator, (s)he contributes to the technical IM strategy definition of the mission
- In collaboration with the IM Coordinator, (s)he contributes to the definition, resources estimation and priorization of specific evolutive maintenance tasks
- Manages the developers consultants pool to ensure necessary workload and level of competencies available
- Supervise developers’ tasks deliveries quality to respect due scope, time and budget.
- Manage system performance to increase system efficiency and lower the human intervention time
- Design system integrity and security monitoring and supervise process implementation.
- Propose revised core technical technologies and technical processes for future version of the product.
- Produces reports and documentation on technical changes made to the system
- Provides monthly technical analytics on SOLIS service availability and issues
- Provides scenarios and technical options for major evolutions for next versions of the system
- Master/bachelor in Information Systems Engineering or similar field
- No professional experience required but any professional experience in systems project management or software development is a plus
- Any NGO Experience is a plus
Technical skills and knowledge:
- Must master System environment or equivalent:
Complementary knowledge in one of this field is a plus:
- Python language
- Mobile development environments
- Infra management
Soft skills and spirit:
- Excellent organization & communication skills with the ability to develop a long term vision
- Team player and proactive willing to commit to an innovative humanitarian project
- Ability to handle stress
- Service quality oriented
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with various stakeholders in dev sector (local and international);
- Open-minded and listening skills with ability to work under management
- Commitment and sense of responsibility towards the tasks he/she is given, the quality of data and quality of deliverables asked by the project
- Attention to detail and diligence.
- Fluent in English or French writing, reading, and speaking
- Arabic is an asset
SI WILL OFFER YOU
A SALARIED POSITION: starting from 1980 euros gross per month (including 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) and a monthly per diem of 750 USD a month. Please note that salary is not negotiable with SI.
VACATION: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of on 7 working days every three months. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7 working days break at 3/6 and 9 month (with 850 USD allocated by SI). To these break periods, it is necessary to add the granting of 1 additional rest day per month worked (i.e. 12 days in addition for a 1-year contract)
SOCIAL AND MEDICAL COVER: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/
SECURITY AND LIVING CONDITIONS
The political and security situation in Lebanon is quite complex and has proven volatile on numerous occasions. A national unity government has been formed in January 2019 after months of vacancy. Domestic tensions remain considerable and despite a relative stability, risks of rapid escalation and context deterioration are non-negligible. Reflective of divisions within the Lebanese society and the subsequent political landscape, the situation of Syrian refugees is becoming increasingly precarious.
International tensions are also a risk factor to consider, although the risk of an imminent conflict seems contained.
Overall, despite the tensions the security situation is currently good, and expats enjoy a high level of freedom. There is – at the time of writing – no curfew in place on the Lebanon mission and international staff can move around with very limited restrictions. There are however some no-go areas as well as some areas requiring prior validation by the security team.
KEY INFORMATION ABOUT LIVING CONDITIONS
The expatriate will be hosted in Beirut’s guesthouse, this position his entitled to receive a housing allowance. The distance between the office and the guesthouse is less than 200m in a dynamic and secure area closed by the French Embassy.
Lebanon is a safe country you can discover by yourself. Guesthouses are available in Tripoli and Zahle accessible for weekend stay.
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
NB : The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension