Desired start date: January 1st 2020
Duration of the mission: 6 months (renewable)
Location: Position based in Beirut
ABOUT THE MISSION …
ABOUT THE MISSION:
Lebanon hosts about 1.5 million Syrian refugee, mainly in its northern governorate (Akkar and Tripoli) and in the Bekaa Valley. SOLIDARITES INTERNATIONAL (SI) has launched its operations in Lebanon in March 2013 in order to address the immediate needs of both Syrian refugee and Lebanese host families also affected by the crisis. Solidarités International’s mission in Lebanon has two operational bases (Tripoli and Zahle) and a coordination office in Beirut.
Key areas of intervention for the mission are the following:
- Emergency WASH service provision in informal settlements (UNICEF funding) – Beqaa & North
- Emergency response & Shelter-Protection integrated approach (ECHO funding) – North
- Shelter for Protection & Health (BPRM consortium lead) – Beqaa & North
- Mapping of informal settlements (MEDAIR / UNHCR) – North
ABOUT THE JOB
Under the Management of the Head of Programs and within the Program Team of Beirut, the Protection Coordination will mainly support program quality, program development and representation.
S/he will mainly 1) support the field teams to implement specific components of SI projects (ECHO funding mainly) 2) lead protection mainstreaming efforts throughout SI programming and 3) represent the organization in technical forums and with relevant partners.
S/he will work closely with the rest of the Program Team (WaSH & Shelter Coordinator, IM Coordinator & MEAL Manager) to contribute to overall quality of SI programming and learning efforts.
S/he will also support the Head of Program and Field Coordinators in identifying needs and protection risks and feed in strategy and new proposals accordingly.
This position has no management responsibility and only acts as an advisor to SI Management team and operational team.
MAIN RESPONSABILITIES :
- Strategic Orientation
- Technical Support & Capacity Building
- Institutional Knowledge Building
- Program Development & Reporting
- BA, Master Degree or equivalent in (International) Law or Social Science
- Minimum 3 years’ experience with NGO specialized in humanitarian assistance
- 2 to 3 years of experience in similar positions or leading Protection Programs
- Significant experience in program design and implementation
- Experience in capacity building and team management
- Experience in representing an organization in strategic and operational meetings
- Previous experience in out of camp settings
- Knowledge of Middle East an asset
- Previous experience with SI an asset
Technical skills and knowledge:
- Ability to make his/her work and deliverable accessible to non-technical colleagues
- Excellent diplomacy and representation skills
- Demonstrated strong cultural sensitivity and adaptability
- Capacity to provide leadership and be a unifying force
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Problem solving and analytical skills with the ability to assess challenges and recommend solutions
- Stress management skills: ability to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines, with peaks of heavy workloads
- Computer literacy with very good command of MS Office Suite
Soft skills and spirit:
- Autonomy and capacity of initiative
- Diplomacy and coordination skills
- Team Spirit
- Fluent English: excellent speaking, reading and writing skills
- Arabic and French an asset
SI WILL OFFER YOU…
A SALARIED POSITION: starting from 2640 euros gross per month (including 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) and a monthly per diem of 750 USD a month. Please note that salary is not negotiable with SI.
VACATION: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of on 7 working days every three months. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7 working days break at 3/6 and 9 month (with 850 USD allocated by SI). To these break periods, it is necessary to add the granting of 1 additional rest day per month worked (i.e. 12 days in addition for a 1-year contract)
SOCIAL AND MEDICAL COVER: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
HOUSING /FAMILY PACKAGE: can be included, housing allowance; child and school allowance; insurances + flights for all the family members.
For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/
SECURITY AND LIVING CONDITIONS
The political and security situation in Lebanon is quite complex and has proven volatile on numerous occasions. A national unity government has been formed in January 2019 after months of vacancy. Domestic tensions remain considerable and despite a relative stability, risks of rapid escalation and context deterioration are non-negligible. Reflective of divisions within the Lebanese society and the subsequent political landscape, the situation of Syrian refugees is becoming increasingly precarious.
International tensions are also a risk factor to consider, although the risk of an imminent conflict seems contained.
Overall, despite the tensions the security situation is currently good, and expats enjoy a high level of freedom. There is – at the time of writing – no curfew in place on the Lebanon mission and international staff can move around with very limited restrictions. There are however some no-go areas as well as some areas requiring prior validation by the security team.
KEY INFORMATION ABOUT LIVING CONDITIONS
The expatriate will be hosted in Beirut’s guesthouse, this position his entitled to receive a housing allowance. The distance between the office and the guesthouse is less than 200m in a dynamic and secure area closed by the French Embassy.
Lebanon is a safe country you can discover by yourself. Guesthouses are available in Tripoli and Zahle accessible for weekend stay.
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English via this link : https://emea3.recruitmentplatform.com/syndicated/private/syd_apply.cfm?id=P1IFK026203F3VBQB6G8N8NQ9&nPostingTargetID=47029.
CV only applications will not be considered.
NB : The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension