SI recruits 01 ICT technical project manager – BEIRUT
Desired start date: 21/06/2021 Duration of the mission: 9 months (renewable upon funding) Location: Beirut, Lebanon
ABOUT THE MISSION
Lebanon hosts about 1.5 million Syrian refugees, mainly in its northern governorate (Akkar and Tripoli) and in the Beqqa Valley. SOLIDARITES INTERNATIONAL (SI) has launched its operations in Lebanon in March 2013 in order to address the immediate needs of both Syrian refugees and Lebanese host families also affected by the crisis. SI in Lebanon has two operational bases (Tripoli and Zahle) and a coordination office in Beirut. The expatriate team consists of 16 staff members, while the national team represents about 170 staff members. The mission’s overall forecasted budget for 2021 is about 15 M Euros.
While contemplating to secure usual humanitarian interventions in core sectors of expertise (Wash and Shelter), the mission is also transitioning towards getting engaged in more structural and long-term recovery and development projects.
Key areas of intervention for the mission are the following:
- Emergency WASH service provision in informal settlements (UNICEF)
- Integrated Protection for basic services (shelter and WASH rehabilitation) in Substandard Buildings (ECHO)
- Integrated Wash and Shelter for Protection and Health in Collective shelters and substandard buildings (BRM)
- Disaster Risk Management (AFD)
- Wash infrastructures development (EU)
- Mapping of informal settlements (MEDAIR / UNHCR)
- Cash assistance third party monitoring system (CAMEALEON)
ABOUT THE INFORMATION MANAGEMENT PROJECT OF THE MISSION
In Lebanon, data structures and channels, as well as roles and responsibilities have been redefined in an innovative way in the past 4 years. Internal and external data flows are being optimized at each project cycle step and an information system was developed locally in order to follow the existing workflow and manage data from all activities, easing up the collaboration between different departments.
After 2 years piloting, the project, deployed a first mature version in 2019 that helped the mission to better frame the users’ needs and expectations. The V2, entirely recoded with latest technologies and based on an improved data model and frontend, is ready to be deployed in the coming months. Acting as a complete internal CRM, the system is also including added external module including Mobile data Collection, WhatsApp Bot messaging with machine learning, BI Dashboarding API exports and GIS visualization with OpenLayers and GeoServer.
ABOUT THE JOB
Under the supervision of the IM Coordinator, the SOLIS Information System Engineer supports the project full deployment with the technical strategy orientation of the development of informatics applications.
He/she reviews technical aspects of previous developments, suggests improvements, and produces documentation when needed. He/she ensures the continuous improvement of the technical architecture of the Information Management (IM) of the mission.
- In collaboration with the IM Coordinator, s/he contributes to the technical Information Management strategy definition of the mission.
- In collaboration with the IM Coordinator, s/he contributes to the definition, resources estimation and priorization of specific evolutive maintenance tasks
- Manages the developers consultants pool to ensure necessary workload and level of competencies available
- Supervises developers’ tasks deliveries quality to respect due scope, time and budget.
- Manages system performance to increase system efficiency and lower the human intervention time
- Designs system integrity and security monitoring and supervise process implementation.
- Proposes revised core technical technologies and technical processes for future version of the product.
- Provides scenarios and technical options for major evolutions for next versions of the system
- Produces reports and documentation on technical changes made to the system
- Provides monthly technical analytics on SOLIS service availability and issues
- Master/bachelor in Information Systems Engineering or similar field
- Professional experience in systems project management or software development
- Any NGO Experience is a plus
TECHNICAL SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- Must have some knowledge over the following environment or their equivalent
- PhP, Laravel/Eloquent
- or any other
- Complementary knowledge in one of this field is welcome:
- Infra management
- GIS, Goeserver, OpenLayers
- SSH, Shell
- BI environment, PowerBI
SOFT SKILLS AND SPIRIT:
- Excellent organization & communication skills with the ability to develop a long term vision
- Team player and proactive willing to commit to an innovative humanitarian project
- Ability to handle stress
- Service quality oriented
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with various stakeholders in dev sector (local and international);
- Open-minded and listening skills with ability to work under management
- Commitment and sense of responsibility towards the tasks he/she is given, the quality of data and quality of deliverables asked by the project
- Attention to detail and diligence.
- Fluent in English writing, reading, and speaking
- French and Arabic are assets.
SI WILL OFFER YOU
A salaried post: According to experience, starting from 2600 euros gross per month (+ 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly i.e. 2860 euros gross per month) and valorization according to experience (+100€/year of humanitarian experience on an equivalent position and +50€/year of humanitarian experience on a non-equivalent position) and a monthly Per Diem of 750 USD
SI also covers accommodation costs and travel expenses between the expatriate’s country of origin and the place of assignment. This position is entitled to a housing allowance.
Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of 7 working days every three months. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7 working days break every 3 months (with 850 USD allocated by Solidarités).
To these break periods, it is necessary to add the granting of one additional rest day per month worked, i.e. 12 days in addition for a one-year contract.
Social and medical cover: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
Specific update related to context:
The political and security situation in Lebanon is complex and volatile and domestic tensions remain high. Reflective of divisions within Lebanese society, the situation of Syrian refugees is becoming increasingly precarious. International tensions are as well important, even if no imminent conflict is for now foreseeable.
Nevertheless, although Lebanon is no more the completely quiet place it was 2 years ago, the situation at the time of writing is still ok and is not considered a “security context”. Only common sense and minimal security measures are applied for now. There are no movement restrictions (beyond COVID19 related measures), very few no-go areas in the country and in Beirut and petty criminality, although on the rise, is still limited.
Key information about living conditions:
As the country’s capital and one of the largest and safest cities in the Middle East, Beirut is home to many iNGOs, UN agencies, and international news networks.
Depending on the employee’s contract, SI Expats are either hosted in the Beirut guesthouse (
The Beirut guesthouse is located inside the city – Sodeco area -, at walking distance from shops, cafes and restaurants. The city hosts cinemas, gyms and reputable walking and hiking trails. Each international staff member has its own room, access to 24/7 electricity and Wi-Fi, a central heating system for the winter as well as air conditioning for summer months.
Beirut is a relatively liberal city by Western standards and no particular clothing restrictions apply, although this may vary depending on the neighborhood.
Vehicles are available for SI expatriates on evening and week-end if you have a valid international driving license. When COVID19 related lockdown is not on, Lebanon is a safe country that you can discover by yourself. SI also have guesthouses in Zahle and Tripoli where you can stay over the weekend.
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension
For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/