Sexual and Reproductive Health (SRH) Adviser/Programme Manager, Nairobi, Kenya with frequent travels to Somalia
- Organization: UNFPA – United Nations Population Fund
- Location: Nairobi
- Grade: P-5, International Professional – Internationally recruited position – Senior level
- Occupational Groups:
- Women’s Empowerment and Gender Mainstreaming
- Public Health and Health Service
- Sexual and reproductive health
- Managerial positions
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2018-03-09
The Sexual and Reproductive Health (SRH) Adviser/Programme Manager post is located in the UNFPA Somalia Country Office. Under the overall leadership of the Representative and under the direct supervision of the Deputy Representative, s/he is the principal adviser and manager at the Country Office level for integrated programme in sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights. The Manager works in an integrated manner with the technical and programme staff in the Country Office.
The SRH Adviser/Programme Manager works in a highly complex operating environment with important programme and political partnership engagements and/or representations. S/He is the principle adviser on and manager of SRH matters including maternal health, RHCS/FP, HIV/AIDS and related areas for the Somalia Country Office and plays a leading role in the formulation and delivery of SRH component of the UNFPA Country Programme. S/He is responsible for the day-to-day management of the SRH Unit of the UNFPA Somalia Country Office. S/He will supervise staff of the SRH Unit, consultants and technical officers as assigned by the Deputy Representative.
The SRH Adviser/Programme Manager provides strategic technical and programmatic leadership for the Country Office in the area of expertise to ensure that the CO remains abreast of the Fund’s technical guidelines and programme policies as well as current thinking and academic advances in given substantive areas affecting the ICPD Programme of Action and post 2015/SDGs agenda. S/He maintains primary responsibility for coordination of provision of programme support and technical assistance to the Ministries of Health in Somalia in the assigned areas. S/he analyses country as well as specific Country Office/cluster trends and contributes to strategic action in response to these, contributing to the monitoring of UNFPA substantive areas being firmly placed within national development frameworks and programmes, including the achievement of the SDGs.
Responsibilities of the SRH Adviser/Programme Manager include: to manage the SRH component of the country programme; to identify new and emerging needs and new delivery modalities for technical guidance and support; to develop and maintain partnerships; to engage in policy dialogue; to translate global/regional SRH related commitments to country level actions with respective government counterparts and other stakeholders; and to ensure that technical knowledge is updated, generated, collected and disseminated for effective technical, capacity building and policy dialogue purposes.
In all activities, s/he works within an inter-disciplinary team providing integrated programme and technical support to the Country Office. S/he also liaises with other units, such as the Programme and Technical Divisions, the Regional Office and the UNFPA Technical network, ensuring the timeliness, adequacy, relevance and quality of UNFPA operations in Somalia in the area of sexual and reproductive health both in development and humanitarian contexts.
The primary roles of the SRH Adviser/Programme Manager are:
- Strategic programme and technical development, implementation, management, monitoring and oversight
- Quality control of the technical support and capacity development provided by the CO to partners
- Evidence and knowledge development and dissemination
- Management and coordination of knowledge networks
- Technical representation
Advanced degree in Public Health and/or Medicine, or other field directly related to the substantive area identified in the title of the post.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Minimum of 10 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in the substantive area, of which at least seven years at the international level
- Proven experience in Sexual and Reproductive Health and Emergency Obstetrics Care is essential
- Health systems experience, health reform, an asset
- Basic understanding of health economics/health financing highly desirable
- Knowledge and understanding on quality of care, specifically client rights issues and BCC, an asset
- Up-to-date on state-of-the art knowledge, essential
- Experience in health sector review, an asset
- Understanding of Human Rights dimensions of RH/FP and gender, an asset
- Demonstrated expertise in the substantive area of work; and programme management experience
- Strong track record of technical leadership, and proven ability to produce demonstrable results
- Strong verbal and written communications skills in English
- Demonstrated ability to network within the academic and development community
- Familiarity with management and monitoring tools is desirable
- Familiarity and knowledge of health/reproductive health programming with humanitarian and resilience angles
- Familiarity with ICT/ERP is an asset;
- Field experience is strongly desirable;
Before applying, please make sure that you have read the requirements for the position and that you qualify.
Applications from non-qualifying applicants will most likely be discarded by the recruiting manager.