RTI International recruits 01 Project Manager
Power Africa Off-Grid Project is a four-year USAID-funded project to promote off-grid electrification in 18 countries in East, Central, and West Africa. The project is headquartered in Pretoria, South Africa. PAOP provides technical assistance to key sector stakeholders, including private sector off-grid companies, investors, and government agencies.
The West Africa Regional Lead Advisor leads and coordinates the implementation of project activities and provides technical expertise on off-grid electrification across West Africa. The successful candidate will lead a team of resident country advisors providing business-focused technical assistance to off-grid companies throughout the region. The main goal of this assistance is to help companies scale up their business models and increase the number of newly electrified households through solar home systems (SHS) and micro-grids. The assistance will include supporting the off-grid companies’ financial planning, cost analysis, and long-term business strategies to enhance their bankability. The technical assistance will also help companies more effectively distribute and retail their products, including developing new partnerships with other distribution and retail companies, and further developing their distribution and marketing strategies.
In addition to providing direct technical assistance to companies and investors, the West Africa Regional Lead Advisor is responsible for managing program deliverables including planning and coordination of all activities across the region. The successful candidate will ensure timely delivery of high-quality deliverables on a short notice.
This position is considered key personnel for the project and the selected candidate is subject to USAID approval. The position is a full-time role based in one of the West Africa focus countries, preferably Senegal, with frequent travel throughout the region and occasional travel across Sub-Saharan Africa as necessary. This position reports to the Chief of Party.
- Provide management oversight for the team of West Africa Lead Country Advisors, including backstopping support, oversight of all in-country activities, routine check-ins with each advisor to ensure they are receiving the necessary support, ensuring all required reports and deliverables are submitted on time and of high quality
- Lead technical assistance activities to off-grid companies, including conducting assessments, identification of highest impact opportunities, and implementing approved activities, such as:
- Distribution, retail, and marketing-focused technical assistance to SHS companies, including assessing potential demand and identifying potential partners for companies to reach these customers.
- Business-focused technical assistance to SHS and mini-grid off-grid energy companies to help them develop and implement their business models, access to finance, and distribution and retail strategies.
- Support to off-grid energy companies to develop their mobile payment strategies.
- Provide support to government agencies in developing an enabling environment that supports the growth of the private sector in the off-grid space.
- Maintain strong relationships with relevant regional organizations, such as the Economic Community of West African States, and with private sector companies and host country governments.
- Provide other transaction advisory services as required, including the following:
- Identify new potential high-impact energy companies for support, determining potential for United States Government (USG) assistance.
- Support the Access to Finance team identify domestic and external financing sources and develop and maintain a database of available financing sources for off-grid energy companies, including investors, institutional investors, commercial banks, and international financial institutions.
- Identify private sector stakeholders, including off-grid energy companies, distributors, and others in the country, and facilitate matchmaking between stakeholders.
- Coordinate provision of technical assistance to off-grid energy companies with other donors to avoid duplication of efforts.
- Identify areas of support required by the private sector that can be provided by Power Africa.
- Regularly liaise with the PAOP Task Order Contracting Officer’s Representative, the PAOP team in the Coordinator’s Office, USAID missions in West Africa, and other USG agencies, as appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned to ensure quality implementation of project activities in West Africa.
- Improved distribution and retail strategies of off-grid companies leading to increased sales.
- Improved business models of off-grid companies leading to new investments.
- New mobile payment strategies for off-grid companies.
- Weekly and monthly reports per USAID and program requests.
- Other documents and resources, as jointly identified by the COP and Senior BTG Technical Advisor.
Minimum Required Education & Experience
- Master’s Degree in a relevant technical field and 9 years’ relevant experience including substantive field experience in West Africa, or a Bachelor’s degree and 12 years’ related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- A degree in an area of international development (engineering, governance, public works, business administration, economics) or another relevant field
- Strong understanding of the off-grid market dynamics in the West Africa Region
- Extensive experience managing International Development programs, preferably energy programs, in West Africa
- Strong demonstrated experience in people and client management and the capacity to manage and motivate local and international staff
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to respond to last-minute client requests
- Experience with the policies and procedures of USAID
- Ability to listen and communicate well both verbally and in writing
- Ability to work independently
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Working-level fluency in English and French required
Applicants should have the valid right to live and work in the country of work.