Radio Erena recruits 01 Fundraising consultant
Radio Erena was founded in June 2009 by Eritrean journalists in exile and began to broadcast from Paris. Since its creation, Radio Erena is the only independent radio station broadcasting in Eritrea and abroad on subjects of interest for the Eritrean people. Radio Erena is a significant source of information for Eritreans.
In addition to the team of 4 journalists based in Paris, the radio counts twelve correspondents around the world. The team produces a daily news edition, covering Eritrean and international news, as well as cultural, social, political and entertainment programs, which allow Eritreans inside the country to hear ideas different from the one-track thinking imposed by the regime. The radio broadcasts in Tigrinya and Arabic, the two official languages of Eritrea, by satellite (two hours of daily 24-hour loop programming), over the Internet, and also on shortwave. The satellite and radio broadcast area cover Eritrea, as well as several other countries in the region. Most families in town have a satellite dish, and radio stations are more easily accessible in the countryside, so most Eritreans can listen to Radio Erena. Since fall 2014, a new service has been available, allowing the diaspora and refugees to listen to Radio Erena in several countries by dialing a free number from any phone. This service allows you to reach an audience whose only means of communication is a simple mobile phone. A smartphone app has also been developed, available on Android and iPhone.
Over ten years, the radio has built up a strong reputation as an independent and a reliable source of information and as well as a large audience both inside the country and in the diaspora. The scope of influence of the radio is already large with an estimate of 520,000 listeners in the country.
Radio Erena’s remarkable work is recognized and rewarded internationally. After winning the One World Media Award in 2017, the radio was honored with a “special mention” by the French Human Rights Commission in 2019.
An independent radio station, Radio Erena has been supported for the past ten years by Reporters Without Borders (Reporters sans frontières, RSF) on daily management issues. It is now – since January 2020 – directly managed by the journalists and one project manager. Over the years, the radio has been mostly supported by one donor. Even though new donors have recently participated, the financial stability of the organization remains fragile. In the meantime, the radio is working on an income generating model that will take a couple of months or years before showing results. In this context, the diversification of donors and sources of revenue is a priority for the organization.
In close collaboration with the Assistant Director, the consultant will contribute to the fundraising activities.
- Contribute to the development of a long-term fundraising strategy
- Identify potential new donors and refer potential funding opportunities
- Based on existing projects, develop high quality proposals in consultation with the journalists
- Contribute to the communication materials
- An updated mapping of potential donors
- A written short and long-term fundraising strategy, developed with the Assistant Director
- Project proposals depending on identified opportunities
- Contribute to communication materials which could be useful for the radio’s visibility and fundraising activities
Experience / Training
- Proven successful track record in fundraising for non-profit sector
- Minimum of 5 years professional experience in fundraising for international development
- Ability to conduct collaborative work sessions in a multicultural environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Fluency in English language – Knowledge of French is an advantage
- Sound knowledge of institutional and private sector donors
- Drive for results
- Knowledge of East Africa / Eritrea and/or of journalism will be an asset
Starting date: August 20, 2020
Duration: 20 days
Supervisor: Assistant Director
Consultancy fee: Negotiable
How to apply
Interested parties are requested to submit a letter of motivation specifying the major points of the work strategy they would propose for the mission, a resume and expected consultancy fee to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Negotiations start upon receipt of expressed interest from qualified candidates.