Library Assistant – (1905510)
Contractual Arrangement: Fixed-term appointment
Contract duration: 2 years (Extension is subject to availability of funds, satisfactory performance and continuing need for the position).
Job Posting: Dec 3, 2019, 12:01:00 AM
Closing Date: Dec 23, 2019, 11:59:00 PM
Primary Location: Egypt-Cairo
Organization: EM/IER Information, Evidence and Research
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device’s system settings.
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The Library and Knowledge Sharing (LKS) unit under the Department of Science, Information and Dissemination (SID) aims to improve accessibility to and availability of high quality, accurate and timely health knowledge for the Regional Office, Country Offices and Member States. It works to support them in achieving the goal of health for all, to focus on strategic health priority areas and achieve the targets of Millennium Development Goals and beyond. It achieves this through the development of library systems and dissemination of health information, and through the conducting of capacity building and provision of country support.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
The incumbent will undertake the following tasks:
1. Oversee and maintain Index Medicus for the Eastern Mediterranean Region (IMEMR) to ensure timely updated and completeness by:
a) Preparing drafts of acknowledgement for receiving and registration of journals issues (printed/electronic), stamping, shelving, circulation, claiming for missing issues and binding of back issues;
b) Ensuring batches of IMEMR journals are prepared for indexing, proof-reading and data entry clerks;
c) Providing data entry support and appropriate technical processing of IMEMR Journals in electronic and print formats.
2. Initiate in GSM and prepare APWs and TSAs for indexers, proof-readers and data entry clerks, including obtaining approval, submitting documentation and following up relevance transactions in GSM, as well as monitor and record receipt of deliverables and initiate payments as needed.
3. Conduct quality checks and maintain the content of the online IMEMR journals information directory to ensure updated and accurate information is published in an accurate, timely, and effective manner.
4. Maintain and update the computerized mailing address List of Editors-in-chief for EMR journals, by adding, deleting and updating entries of names and addresses of individuals and institutions.
5. Providing support in updating, compiling, publishing and dissemination of the most recent published research in IMEMR Current Content in multiple formats quarterly.
6. Coordinate and maintain arrangement and re-shelving of the IMEMR journals in the library and store.
7. Guide and assist Regional Office staff, external user groups and individuals in obtaining and locating required information to ensure better utilization of IMEMR resources.
8. Assist and replace other staff in charge of library services and/or administrative functions.
Essential: Completion of secondary education or equivalent.
Desirable: University degree in library and information sciences, business administration, social sciences or related field is an asset.
Essential: At least five years’ secretarial/administrative related experience.
– Good knowledge of Computer-Based Library Systems and bibliographic databases;
– Good knowledge of internet searching tools;
– Good filing and organizational skills;
– Producing and delivering quality results in pressing situations and conflicting priorities.
Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
Ensuring the effective use of resources
Moving forward in a changing environment
Use of Language Skills
Essential: Expert knowledge of English. Expert knowledge of Arabic.
Desirable: Intermediate knowledge of French.
WHO offers staff in the General Services category an attractive remuneration package, which for the above position includes an annual net base salary starting at EGP 177,136 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable) and 30 days of annual leave.
-This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level
-Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
-A written test may be used as a form of screening.
-In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
-Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual.
-Staff members in other duty stations are encouraged to apply.
-For information on WHO’s operations please visit: http://www.who.int.
-WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
-WHO’s workforce adheres to the WHO Values Charter and is committed to put the WHO Values into practice.
-WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
-This post is subject to local recruitment and will be filled by persons recruited in the local commuting area of the duty station.
-For assessment of your application, please ensure that your profile on Stellis is updated; all experience records are entered with elaboration on tasks performed at the time. Kindly note that CV/PHFs inserted via LinkedIn are not accessible.