Position Title : Project Manager (GAIM)
Duty Station : Accra, Ghana
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 18 February 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries: Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cook Islands, Cuba, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Fiji, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Grenada, Guyana, Iceland, Kiribati, Comoros, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Saint Lucia, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Palau, Paraguay, Solomon Islands, Seychelles, Suriname, Sao Tome and Principe, Eswatini, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Since 2012, IOM has successfully implemented an Assisted Voluntary Return and Reintegration (AVRR) programme in West Africa, the “Global Assistance to Irregular Migrants (GAIM)” project, under which 670 Sri Lankan nationals, who were stranded in dire circumstances in various countries in the region, returned.
The key focus of the programme is on humanitarian support and direct assistance for return and reintegration, to eligible stranded migrants in West Africa.
Under the direct supervision of the IOM Ghana Chief of Mission (CoM) and in coordination with relevant units in Headquarters (HQs) and the Regional Office (RO) in Dakar, the successful candidate will be responsible for managing the GAIM project.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Manage the overall implementation of the project Global Assistance to Irregular Migrants (GAIM) in a timely manner and act as the responsible for its financial, administrative, and technical oversight in line with IOM policies and practices as well as donor requirements.
2. Ensure effective implementation of the project by coordinating the work of IOM missions in West Africa and Sri Lanka in the areas of humanitarian assistance, AVRR, and safe migration.
3. Supervise and coordinate the provision of screening, referrals, registration, emergency assistance, and return, arrival and reintegration assistance to the project beneficiaries through overseeing the AVRR activities implemented by relevant missions in West Africa and Sri Lanka.
4. Supervise adjustments to community response mapping with a view to increase its capacity to receive and manage direct requests for AVRR assistance. Establish standard operating procedures for assistance and referrals.
5. Supervise project staff. Monitor project progress to document and evaluate results, increase effectiveness and recommend appropriate action.
6. Establish and maintain strong partnerships and liaison with government entities, embassies, UN agencies, refugee boards, and other stakeholders in project target countries.
7. Create informational materials and ensure communication and visibility for all GAIM components.
8. Represent IOM at relevant seminars, meetings, and other events to promote GAIM activities and disseminate results.
9. Maintain an updated record of cases and files for the project and ensure data confidentiality. Coordinate knowledge management within the project for the purpose of monitoring and evaluation, team and organizational learning, reporting, and innovation.
10. Prepare donor and other reports and ensure proper information exchange on all operational aspects of the project between IOM, donors, and other stakeholders. Prepare and collate general and specific information on programme activities as requested by donors/external parties, IOM Missions, HQs and other internal counterparts; coordinate internal evaluation(s).
11. Undertake site visits and duty travel as required.
12. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in International Development, Political or Social Sciences, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in project management in the field of migration, AVRR, border management and/or migrants’ rights;
• Experience in liaising with government authorities, other national/international institutions;
• Operational and field experience in migration management in the West Africa region is of particular interest, including project development and advocacy; return and reintegration, and/or strong background in institutional and capacity-building;
• Relevant exposure to the complex social-political environment of the West Africa region;
• Excellent familiarity with migration management principles, concepts and techniques.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results. • Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 18 February 2019 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to: http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.