NGOs recruits 01 Product Owner in WebGIS
* Apply by: 31st of August 2020
This position is for you:
- If you are an experienced Product Owner or want to grow into this position, looking for a new challenge and an opportunity to further advance your skills in the humanitarian sector.
- If you have the appetite to lead different types of products using different technologies.
- If you have a GIS or an IT background and enjoy setting, prioritizing the work of your “dream dev team” in order to ensure impeccable features and functionality of the product.
- If you have a strong interest in understanding humanitarian and development organizations’ needs and constraints and delivering targeted quality solutions to field operations as well as headquarters.
- If you are passionate about collaborative and teamwork to bring the best technical solutions adapted to any given situation to solve key humanitarian challenges.
- If you enjoy engaging with clients and customers to get their feedback, experience and integrate them into the final product.
- If you enjoy discovering and testing new technologies and have a creative and resourceful mind.
- If you have a strong interest and appetite for technical and challenging discussions on the wide range of different GIS technologies.
Presentation of the organization:
Founded in 2006, CartONG is a French “H2H” (Humanitarians to Humanitarians, i.e. an NGO working in support of other NGOs) non-governmental organization specialized in mapping and information management support for humanitarian and development organizations. Our core expertise is geographic information, but we have extended it over the years to other technologies (mobile data collection, information management, remote sensing, drones, participatory mapping, etc.).
We support international aid organizations, NGOs and public authorities by providing tools, services & trainings that allow them to better plan, implement and evaluate their programs, therefore improving the impact of humanitarian aid in favor of the most vulnerable. We focus on training local staff and collaborating with local communities, in order to provide projects that are sustainable and tailored to the needs and priorities of the people we are seeking to assist.
We work with local, national and international organizations, in particular NGOs specialized emergency response and development as well as UN agencies; MSF, UNHCR, AFD, Terre des Hommes, etc.: complete list here. CartONG is a fast growing & dynamic organization, gathering around 30 international staffs and 50 active volunteers.
Our headquarters are based in Chambéry – a short train ride away from Geneva and Lyon and their international airports. Chambéry is a vibrant student and family city with many great bars and restaurants, located in the heart of the French Alps and surrounded by the Bauges and Chartreuse mountain ranges.
We are currently looking for a Product Owner for our Web-GIS projects with experience in the humanitarian sector to join our team.
Based mainly at the headquarters of the NGO, you will be part of the web development pole, working on a variety of projects and partners. Key responsibilities include communication and coordination, requirements gathering and analysis, translating needs to concrete ideas and potential activities, coordinating and supporting needs assessment.
You will play a critical role within the web development team in CartONG’, setting, prioritizing and following different and various webGIS projects for different humanitarian and development partners. In complex organizations such as our main partners, organization’s adaptability, agility, and ability to manage constant change through innovation are keys to success. You will have a key role between the technical team and the business analysists when it will come to new projects, or new technologies to assess. You will support and make the process more efficient and effective.
In this context, your assignments are:
- Take the lead of webdev projects teams as Product Owner
- Provide vision and direction to the webdev team and stakeholders throughout the project and define requirements
- Ensure and update proper planning of tasks and workload for the team
- Plan and prioritize product feature backlog and development for the product
- Define product vision, road-map and growth opportunities
- Assess value, develop cases, and prioritize stories, epics and themes to ensure work focuses on those with maximum value that are aligned with product strategy
- Provide backlog management, iteration planning, and elaboration of the user stories
- Include and manage users’ feedback in order to get the best and most useful products
- Lead the product release plans and set the expectation for delivery of new functionalities
- Provide an active role in mitigating impediments impacting successful team completion of Release/Sprint Goals
- For small projects, play the role of business analyst and be responsible for gathering, analyzing and specifying requirements from end-users in order to define the best suitable solution.
- Provide a support service for GIS/WebDev/IT-related questions from the end-users
- In collaboration with the communication officer, the change manager and the business analyst, support the communication plan for GIS products
- Assess and understand sector needs, suggest the best way to geo-enable partners’ data
- Work closely with the technical lead for any technical subjects
- Contribute to documentation toward the end-users on different GIS products (user documentation, tutorials…)
Other technical tasks:
- Contribute to technology watch for future developments in GIS, webGIS, IM, BI, MDC, etc.
- Technical support depending on requests, skills and interests: graphics, data management, maps production, etc.
- Participate to activities supporting CartONG’s associative mission whenever possible and relevant: exchanges with the Board and other members including during get-togethers and green days, involvement in internal trainings, support to volunteer projects, support to projects concerning the whole organization
- Contribute to events and workshops organized by CartONG such as the GeOnG forum
- Participate proactively to the association’s communication by writing news, blog posts and other products, as well as representing CartONG during tech-oriented and/or humanitarian events and conferences
You will travel regularly to Geneva and other locations in Europe, and periodically for short field missions. The position requires availability and flexibility, two characteristics inherent in the context of emergency humanitarian organizations (late work, rush situations).
Expériences / Formation
Qualification: Engineer Master’s Degree or equivalent in GIS or computer science
Experience: 3 to 5 years in GIS with min. 1 year in a similar position
Previous experience in the humanitarian and/or development sector (NGO, UN, etc.) will be considered an asset for this position.
Professional Skills & Knowledge:
- Good knowledge of the wide range of GIS solutions: from mapping to servers through web mapping and database management
- Ability to quickly understand partners’ needs in order to translate them into requirements and to enjoy finding the best technical solution, including benchmarking & testing
- Strong relational skills allowing you to interact with a wide range of actors and units within the partners’ organization (technical, communication, management, etc.)
- Aspiration to maintain a deep awareness of IT/GIS industry and business environment to understand risks and enable business innovation and growth
- Knowledge of Agile process and principles
- Languages requirements: Good level in French and English required (min. B2)
- Good project management skills: setting and following deliverables, prioritization of tasks, ability to handle multiple projects and tasks simultaneously, budget overseeing, reporting.
- Excellent organization skills and autonomy: capacity to understand problems and take decisions, proven track record of delivery on commitment
- Sharp analytical and problem-solving skillstrong ability to work within a team
- Capacity to overcome challenges and find ways around constraints.
- Creative thinker, with great initiative capacity and ability to balance short-term technical choices with a long-term vision of developments
- Quality-oriented personality with focus on permanent improvement of processes and attention to details
- Ability to communicate on applications, technical modules and implementation details to different audiences: users, technical people and project managers
- Interest & understanding of the working context in the humanitarian and social sector: multicultural environment, sometimes working non-standard hours (evening or weekend activities), ever-changing environment with high constraints requiring a high level of adaptability
- In accordance with CartONG’s values (discover our Associative Project to learn more)
- ESRI Product suite, QGIS Suite
- PostgreSQL/GIS, Server applications
- Knowledge of OpenStreetMap ecosystem and tools, an asset
- Mobile Data collection tools: Collector for ArcGIS, ODK, an asset
- Aerial Imagery: Remote sensing, drone, machine learning, an asset
Contract Type: starting with fixed-term contract (CDD) of 12 months with the objective of making it permanent if wished by both parties
Start Date: ASAP
Location: Chambéry (France)
Salary: calculated with CartONG’s salary grid based on experience, 39 hours/week contract (35 h + 4 extra hours paid)
Other benefits: additional health insurance & public transportation monthly pass covered at 50% by employer
Applications (CV and letter of intent) to be submitted via online form by August 31st:
Please make sure to select the correct position title when submitting your application.
CartONG reserves the right to close the recruitment earlier if sufficient and satisfactory applications are received.