MSF recruits 01 Communication Advisor (m/f/x)
The Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) movement is built around six operational directorates/centers that directly manage programs and projects. These Operational Centers/Directorates are supported by other offices worldwide. MSF OCB is one of those directorates and currently manages projects in more than 35 countries.
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) has a long tradition of going beyond the medical and humanitarian act by bearing witness on the situations its staff encounter in areas of intervention and by speaking out when considered necessary. Communication is an integral part of the MSF’s operations for purposes of leverage, access, or simply to make an issue more visible. In order to achieve this objective, a wide network of communication professionals ensure that MSF’s voice can reach global and national audiences and stakeholders. At the Brussels Operational Centre (OCB) of MSF, this communication support is provided to operations by the Com-ops Unit (also called Combo for ‘Communications – Brussels Operations’).
The COMBO unit’s main tasks are to advise on and develop communications strategies and positioning on specific contexts or dossiers and support field teams with their communications activities. Depending on the context, the unit’s work can vary between giving high-level strategic positioning advice, overseeing and guiding the work of communications staff in the field, and producing finished communication materials. The unit’s members dedicate time and energy to supporting communications professionals based in the field and to liaising with counterparts in the other MSF operational centers. The unit is also expected to develop good working relations with the press and digital teams in MSF offices worldwide to ensure dissemination in line with intended objectives and target audiences of each communication.
The COMBO team is currently composed by 15 professionals including communication advisors, digital and AV/multimedia experts. Each communication advisor follows specific regions and portfolios of countries.
- The Communications Advisor is part of the “Combo” team and reports to the Operational Communication based in Brussels.
- He/She closely interacts with Operations Coordinators, Regional Team Leaders for the countries covered as well as the Country Representatives
- He/ She interacts with the Analysis & Medical departments to develop strategic public positioning on the contexts/regions/countries/topics
- He/She provides technical support, mentoring and guidance to Field Communication Managers and Coordinators in the field.
- He/She works in close collaboration with the AV and digital teams to develop strong communication packages and digital strategies.
- He/She participates actively to the Combo Unit meetings.
- He/She participates to MSF’s intersectional platforms to discuss and interact with the Communication Advisors of other MSF’s operational centers and entities;
- He/She interacts with MSF partner sections/branch offices to provide adequate guidance and ensure impactful dissemination of the communication initiatives and tools.
- Develop and oversee the production of high-level public positioning and communication initiatives and build impactful dissemination strategies for media and social media;
- Identify issues on which MSF should consider positioning itself publicly, based on its medical activities and observations, and help define and implement strategies, messages and tools for communicating such issues;
- Support and advise the teams managing operations at field and headquarters levels in their communications activities and strategies, provide a constant stream of information on these interventions, and help MSF continue exposing the medical humanitarian needs of the population it is helping;
- Provide support to, mentor and coach field communications managers to develop communication strategies and initiatives in the project countries;
- Respond to communication needs following an emergency or crisis situation in the project countries;
- Be the primary source of information (reactively and actively) for the wider MSF network on the activities in the above-mentioned countries and topics;
- Cover temporarily for communication on other countries / topics in the absence of other colleagues or upon request of the Combo Coordinator.
Expériences / Formation
To be considered for this vacancy, a candidate must demonstrate:
- At least three years of professional experience in communication or international journalism;
- Experience working in the field with MSF or other humanitarian organisations is a strong asset;
- Knowledge and understanding of how media function, internationally and on national or local levels;
- Proven knowledge of digital and social media approaches and tools;
- Knowledge of MSF operational communications processes is a strong asset;
- Experience working in the field;
- Experience in productions of communications tools (written and multimedia);
- Specific knowledge/experience of specific humanitarian contexts and areas will be considered.
- A strong sense of initiative combined with team spirit;
- Capacity to deliver in stressful situations;
- Negotiation skills and ability to work with various interlocutors;
- Availability to travel on short notice;
- Excellent English writing skills;
- Working knowledge of at least another between French, Spanish, Arabic (main languages used in MSF projects).
- Expected starting date: June 2022
- Contract type: Open-ended contract, full-time
- Location: based in Brussels
- Salary according to MSF-OCB HQ grid – Meal Vouchers – Hospital Insurance (DKV) – Pension Plan – 100% reimbursement for public transportation costs
- Adhere to the MSF principles and to our managerial values: Respect, Transparency, Integrity, Accountability, Trust and Empowerment
- Adhere to the MSF Behavioral Commitments
Deadline for applications: 5 May 2022
How to apply?
Please, send your CV and cover letter to Recruit-HQ-Communications@brussels.msf.org and mention “Application – Communication Advisor” in the subject of your email.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
MSF values diversity and is committed to create an inclusive working environment. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of disability, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, race, color or ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
The protection of your personal data is important to MSF. By submitting your application, you consent to MSF using your personal data. For more information, consult our privacy notice to job applicants.