CALL FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
PSYCHOSOCIAL EXPERT (FEMALE)
FOR TECHNICAL ADVICE TO MM’S PROGRAM DEVELOPMENT
IN LIBERIA, SIERRA LEONE AND CÔTE D’IVOIRE
About medica mondiale
medica mondiale is a non-governmental organisation based in Cologne, Germany. As an international women’s rights organisation, medica mondiale supports women and girls affected by sexualised and gender based violence (s/gbv) in conflict and post-conflict regions. Currently, medica mondiale is working in Southeastern Europe, in Northern Iraq, in Afghanistan, in West Africa/Mano River Region and in the African Great Lakes Region.
Through programmes and in partnership with local women’s rights organisations, medica mondiale takes a multi-level approach to address the various factors contributing to violence against women and girls: On the individual level, medica mondiale provides access to holistic services (psychosocial, health, legal, economical) for survivors of s/gbv. On the level of women’s and girls’ social environment, medica mondiale supports communities to recognize and protect women’s and girls’ rights and to support survivors of s/gbv. On the institutional level, medica mondiale capacitates public institutions from the health and legal sector to adopt a stress- and trauma-sensitive approach towards survivors and to establish cross-institutional referral and support systems. On the political level, medica mondiale advocates for laws, policies and resolutions that address s/gbv and promote women’s political participation. On the societal level, medica mondiale campaigns against sexism and gender stereotypes, raises awareness on s/gbv or the long-term impacts of trauma within societies.
Background to the assignment
medica mondiale works with a regional approach: programs in medica mondiale’s focal regions are based on multi-year Regional Concepts with defined thematic fields and target groups. To inform the development of the Regional Concept for West Africa (Mano River Region), medica mondiale currently carrys out a comprehensive Stakeholder Analysis in Liberia, Sierra Leone and Côte d’Ivoire among s/gbv stakeholders. Based on the results of the Stakeholder Analysis, medica mondiale together with her partner organisation in the region will develop a multi-year regional program.
Objective of the assignment
The consultant will provide technical and conceptual advice to the development of a regional program in Liberia, Sierra Leone and Côte d’Ivoire.
This includes the following outputs
- Appraisal of the results and recommendations provided by the Stakeholder Analysis.
- Preparation of and participation in stakeholder dialogues in Liberia, Sierra Leone and Côte d’Ivoire to assess the capacity of selected stakeholders (governmental and non-governmental) from a psychosocial perspective; assessment of existing psychosocial services, mechanisms, and approaches as well as key stakeholders’ capacities and resources to provide psychosocial / stress- and trauma-sensitive services for s/gbv survivors; asses approaches and needs in service delivery and related advocacy.
- In consultation with mm and key stakeholders, and in consideration of the multi-level approach, develop cooperation activities to strengthen key stakeholders’ psychosocial / stress- and trauma-sensitive capacities (and related advocacy capacities) to be included into a program proposal for in Liberia, Sierra Leone and Côte d’Ivoire.
- Support the development of a Concept Note and full proposal to be submitted for funding in line with medica mondiale and donor guidelines.
Scope and timeline of the assignment
Selection of consultant: February/March 2019
Desk research and inception report: March/April 2019
Fact finding mission: May 2020
Reporting, including presentation in Cologne: June 2020
Support of Concept Note August 2020
Detailed assessment questions and methods will be developed by the consultant in close consultation with medica mondiale. The preliminary findings will be shared with mm partners and stakeholders and recommendations be refined based on consultative discussions.
- Advanced Degree in psychology, counselling, public health, social work, peacebuilding or related studies
- Proven experience in conducting policy, institutional and stakeholder analysis
- Experience in assessing capacity development needs, gaps in service delivery, areas of strengthening, and best practice approaches
- Specific experience in the area psychosocial work, empowerment and trauma-sensitive approaches in the field of violence against women and girls
- Specific experience in the area of S/GBV prevention and response programming in conflict and post-conflict settings,
- Experience in program and proposal development incl. budgeting
- Working experience in Liberia, Sierra Leone and/or Côte d’Ivoire and preferably relevant contacts and networks in the region
- Commitment to a women-centered and empowering approach, ability to apply a feminist perspective and analysis
- High degree of cross-cultural sensitivity
- Structured working style, excellent analytical skills
- Excellent report writing and verbal communication skills in English and French
- Ability to travel to Liberia, Sierra Leone and Côte d’Ivoire
Please email your application (CV and cover letter in English, incl. references not exceeding 2MB) including technical and financial offer including ALL costs, with the subject “Consultancy Psychosocial Expert West Africa” until March 2, 2020 by 9 am CET latest to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We will not send acknowledgements of receipt. Only short listed/successful candidates will be contacted.
Further information on medica mondiale can be found on our website: medicamondiale.org