MDM recruits 01 Medical coordinator (F/M) – Tanzania
For more than 40 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in 30 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
For years MdM had been running the first comprehensive harm reduction programme in Tanzania, in a district of Dar es Salaam. In 2020, the implementation was handed over to the local civil society but MdM continues to support with technical expertise and to coordinate the scale-up of these programmes that are now present in different locations in the country.
MdM is also starting new programmes with a regional approach and is providing technical assistance and support in Burundi and Rwanda.
In 2022, MdM started several sexual and reproductive health interventions, both in Dar es Salaam and Dodoma, and will continue increasing its presence in this sector.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the supervision of the general coordinator and in collaboration with the health advisor based at HQ, you are in charge of designing, planning, implementing, adapting and monitoring health activities of the Tanzanian mission.
Your main responsibilities are the following:
- Participate in the definition of the country strategy led by the general coordinator and drive the medical and technical aspects in the development of this strategy
- Design, plan, implement, adapt and monitor the programme’s health activities
- Ensure the quality and relevance of health activities, supervise the collection and analysis of medical data
- Promote capacity building of the national medical team; when needed, participate in the capacity building and sensitization of non-medical staff
- Ensure the management of pharmaceutical products
- Carry out health needs assessments and evaluations of medical partners
- Cooperate with the administration team regarding budgeting and supervise the medical purchase process
- Represent MdM with authorities, partners and other NGOs on health issues
- Participate in the writing of proposals and reports
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Status : Employee
Contract : Fixed-term contract
Duration : 12 months
Starting date: 2 January 2023
Gross monthly salary: 2940 euros
Premium equal to one month salary paid in two instalments – minimum of 6 months seniority required
Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
Transportation cost, vaccines and visas covered
22.5 RTT (recovery days) per year
5 weeks of paid leaves per year
Health insurance (60% covered by MdM and 40% by the employee)
Teleworking agreement for positions eligible to telework: 110 days/year (2.5 days teleworking on average per week) with a minimum of 1 day per week onsite
Given the current circumstances of Covid-19 pandemic, we are taking special measures to apply health protocols and hygiene measures to guarantee the safety of our staff.
Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE NEEDED
Doctor, nurse, midwife or public health background
Experience in management of health programmes, ideally within NGOs or public institutions
Experience in negotiations with local authorities, partners and staff in complex contexts
Knowledge of Tanzanian context, especially in public health is an asset
Languages: English (written and spoken) is mandatory
You embrace the core values and support the proactive philosophy of Médecins du Monde.
TELEPHONE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
Médecins du Monde reserves the right to fill the vacancy before the closing date for applications.
MdM stands up for the integration of people living with disabilities and fights against discrimination.