MdM-BE recruits 01 MHPSS Coordinator – Bosnia and Herzegovina
Founded in 1997 by the gynaecologist Marie Bruyns in 1997 “Médecins du Monde/Doctors of the World – Belgique (MdM-BE)” is an international medical development Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO) based in Brussels, Belgium that is part of the international MdM network. MdM-BE’s main activities/services are the provision of medical assistance to vulnerable groups in Belgium and the rest of the world. The MdM network is managing 439 programs in 80 countries. MdM’s vision is to ensure universal healthcare coverage globally, and that all persons have access to care without barriers (financial, cultural, geographic, etc.). MdM’s actions are based on the three pillars of the organization, which are: 1) Care (give people real access to healthcare without barriers), 2) Testimonies (gain facts about healthcare realities and disseminate them), 3) Sustainable change. The majority of our programs are mobile, meaning MdM goes where the most vulnerable people live (outreach), i.e. doing street work, visiting squats or camps and going to isolated villages. MdM-BE is currently active in Belgium and eleven other countries: Croatia, Bosnia-and-Hercegovina, Congo, Tunisia, Haiti, Niger, Mali, Greece, Morocco and Libya.
MdM started its activities in Una Sana Canton, Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH) in May 2019 and is currently implementing two interventions:
- As implementing partner of United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), under European Commission (DG-HEALTH) funding, MdM supports children on the move through the provision of Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) in temporary reception centres (TRCs) in Una Sana Canton.
- As implementing partner of the Danish Refugee Council (DRC), under European Commission (DG-ECHO) funding, MdM supports adults (prevalently men) on the move through the provision of Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) services in temporary reception centres (TRCs) in Una Sana Canton and in Sarajevo Canton.
In line with MdM mission statement and the objectives of MdM Strategy in BiH, the Programme Manager ensures the implementation of MHPSS activities and compliance with donor’s requirement. The position acts in close collaboration with the other members of the Senior Management Team to support the development of MdM’s presence in BiH.
The MH Co is under the direct supervision / line management of the General coordinator BiH, and under technical supervision of Health Department based in the headquarters (more specifically under the Health Advisor, in line with BiH program’s activities). The MH Co acts as technical manager for the MHPSS Team (psychologists, social assistants, case managers) and works in close collaboration with the Programme Manager (Line Manager of Field Staff).
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The MH Co is responsible for the technical supervision and management of all mental health and psychosocial support aspects of the mission:
- Provision of technical support for the recruitment of MHPSS Staff (psychologists, case managers, social assistants, etc.) and technical supervision/support to MHPSS Team
- Direct supervision / monitoring of MHPSS activities’ implementation:
PSS empowerment and psychoeducational activities
Individual / group mental health support (individual psychosocial support / counselling sessions)
Community leadership and empowerment workshops
Referral / follow-up and case management
MHPSS trainings for first line workers
- Development / enhancement / update of harmonized and context-relevant detailed curriculum for MHPSS psychoeducational group sessions (topics might include, but are not limited to: stress management, resolving conflicts, anger management, communication skills, relaxation techniques, sexual reproductive health, etc. and might be adjusted based on assessed beneficaries’ needs)
- Ensure that the appropriate MHPSS approach in the program is aligned with the IASC MHPSS guidelines for emergencies and humanitarian settings
- Lead the development process of referral pathways among MdM MHPSS team, other organizations, and public institutions, for migrants in need of (mental health) specialized care (e.g. psychiatrist) or of protection services
- Set-up / follow up / enhancement of MdM MHPSS case management services
- Collaborate with other team members (especially Programme manager and Project Manager) in the knowledge/experience sharing process on migrant’s mental health / needs / answer with local (mental) health workers
- Develop and implement MHPSS trainings for “front-line” workers working with refugees and migrants.
- Continuously adapt the existing MdM documents / tools used for MHPSS activities
- Participation in the enhancement of data collection / MEAL
- Provision of technical inputs for development of analysis on mental health state / needs of migrants and refugees, factsheets, data analisys, etc
- Lead the capacity building process related to MHPSS for Staff and other actors
- Provision of technical inputs regarding planning / development of future MdM’s projects / programs in BiH
- Support to the development / conduction of MdM advocacy activities (report(s), research(es), campaign(s), meetings / events, etc.)
- Participate in regional / national / local assessments, leading the technical part related to the mental health sector (access to mental healthcare, mental health and migration, etc.)
- Development of MHPSS related written info material (for beneficiaries, Staff, other actors, etc.) and trainings’ content
- Develop and maintain regular relationship / exchange with national / local (mental) health authorities and institutions, and other actors
- Lead the provision of Staff Care for MdM staff
This list is not exhaustive, and the employee must be flexible to take additional tasks related to the position as validated by General coordinator BiH, based on identified and changing needs.
The job position is based between Bihać and Sarajevo and, if needed, outside the country (possibly but not limited to Brussels).
The MH Co must respect the code of ethics adhering to principles of confidentiality and impartiality; as well as MdM Charter of values.
Experience / Training
Qualifications and Experience:
- University degree in mental health/psychology
- At least 5 years of relevant professional experience in provision of mental health support
- At least three years of working experience with vulnerable groups and/or migrants
- Experience in the the field of access to healthcare / human rights / social inclusion and / or humanitarian crisis management would be a distinctive asset.
Competencies/language and other skills:
- Excellent writing and oral skills
- Ability to handle effectively multiple tasks without compromising quality, team spirit and positive working relationships
- Ability to work autonomously and to work under pressure
- Cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Knowledge of french, arabic, farsi and/or local langage would be an asset.
- Zero tolerance for sexual harassment
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.).
- Driving licence “B” category is an asset
WHAT WE OFFER
- An enthralling job in a dynamic environment, within a team of professionals.
- Job location : Bihać and Sarajevo
- A full-time contract.
- Duration : 3 or 6 month with possibility of extension
- Starting date: beginning of January
- If expat : a gross salary of 2526,32 € for 0 years of experience ; a gross salary of 2921,58 € for 10 years of experience ; a gross salary of 3119,21 € for 20 years of experience (per diem not included). Relevant experience recognized.
- If expat : a package of advantages (insurance…).
How to apply
Please send your application (CV and cover letter) using the appropriate form, before 25/11/2020.
MdM thanks you for your interest in our organization and wishes you every success in your path.
MdM-BE reserves the right to finalize a recruitment before the closing date for receipt of applications. We respond to all candidates.
MdM-Be does not ask for any financial contribution as part of the recruitment procedure.
Médecins du Monde is committed to people with disabilities and fights against all forms of discrimination.
We inform you that the data concerning you are computerized; they will be treated confidentially.
In the context of this application, your data is kept for a period of 6 months.
Only persons authorized by our General Confidentiality Charter will be able to access your data for strictly internal purposes.