L’Ambassade du Royaume-Uni à Dakar recrute 01 Officier Economique et Climat HEO
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Job Category: Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (Policy & Political roles)
Job Subcategory: Commercial Diplomacy
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Main Purpose Of Job
The Economic and Climate Officer helps deliver a resilient economic partnership between the UK and Senegal, Cape Verde and with Guinea Bissau which promotes inclusive and green growth, creates quality jobs, tackles poverty and inequality, and empowers women and girls. Working closely with colleagues from Department for International Trade and leveraging UK development programmes, the Economic & Climate Officer will also be responsible for helping Senegal realise its economic potential by improving the business climate, opening markets, encouraging transparency, and tackling corruption, whilst supporting UK companies to do business in the country. The Officer will also have lead responsibility for delivering UK’s climate objectives in Senegal, Cape Verde and Guinea Bissau.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Monitor and analyse macro- and micro-economic developments and reforms in Senegal, Cape Verde and Guinea Bissau in order to provide advice to the Ambassador and wider UK government network;
- Build a network within government, business and the international donor community in all three countries in order to identify opportunities to promote the economic partnership with the UK;
- In Senegal, working closely with DIT, promote UK values of transparency and adherence to a rules-based international economic system coupled with a stable regulatory environment and respect for rule of law that encourages business;
- Proactively liaise with UK Government colleagues working on central/regional programmes to identify opportunities to strengthen economic cooperation between UK and Senegal, and the UK and Cape Verde and Guinea Bissau;
- Help arrange meetings of VIPs and other high-level UK government visitors coming to Senegal to take forward UK economic and climate objectives matters covered by Post, including the preparation of programmes, briefings and meeting records;
- Represent the Embassy at external meetings and events as required and report on them.
- Monitor and analyse Senegal, Cape Verde and Guinea Bissau’s climate policies, including NDC implementation;
- Promote international climate objectives, during UK’s COP26 Presidency and beyond, in Senegal, Cape Verde and Guinea Bissau, including engaging with government, business, civil society and non-government organisations;
- Build a network with climate leads in the international community and represent the Embassy at external meetings and events as required and report on them;
- Understand, map and improve access to climate finance funds to support delivery of our objectives.
Embassy leadership (10%)
As a member of the UK Embassy leadership team, the Economic & Climate Officer will be expected to make a strong contribution to the running of the embassy e.g. promoting learning and development. He or she will also be expected to take an active role in responding to any crisis, including taking on work outside the economic/climate portfolio where needed.
Resources Managed (Staff and Expenditure)
Events, travel, official entertainment.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Ability to communicate clearly in writing and orally, in English and in French;
- Ability to undertake macro- and microeconomic analysis;
- Experience of forming strong relationships and influencing in an international environment;
- Proactive person who can propose ideas and innovative ways of working and take personal responsibility for delivering results;
- University degree in a related field (economic development; international cooperation; climate)
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- Track record of having worked successfully in international organisations, civil society or government;
- At least 5 years working experience in a related field.
- Project management experience;
- Climate policy or programming experience.
Seeing the Big Picture, Making Effective Decisions, Delivering at Pace, Working Together
- Application deadline: 24 May 2022
- Grade: Higher Executive Officer (HEO)
- Type of Position: Fixed Term, Fixed term, with possibility of renewal
- Duration of Post: 12 months
- Region: Africa
- Country/Territory: Senegal
- Location (City): Dakar
- Type of Post: British Embassy
- Salary: XOF 2,214,715 plus XOF 20,800 Transport Allowance
- Start Date: 13 June 2022
Other benefits and conditions of employment
Learning & Development
The successful applicant will have access to a range of learning and development opportunities both in-house and e-learning, with the potential for overseas training.Postuler