INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Regional Director for the Middle East
Duty station: Beirut or Amman, with frequent field missions (Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon and Syria)
Starting date: 01/01/2021
Contract duration: 2 year (6 months probation), renewable
Reporting to: Director of Programmes
Supervision of: Deputy Regional Director and Heads of Mission
Dependents: Accompanied Duty Station
General context of the project
INTERSOS is an Italian non-profit humanitarian aid organization that works to bring assistance to people in danger, victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts. Established in 1992, its actions are based on the values of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equal rights and opportunities for all people and respect for diversity and coexistence, paying particular attention to the most vulnerable and the unprotected.
The present organizational structure of INTERSOS Programmes department is made of a team of one Director of Programmes, four Regional Directors, four Deputy Regional Directors, two Programme Protection Advisors, two Medical Advisors and the Emergency Unit.
General purpose of the position
The Regional Director represents INTERSOS in the area of regional operations and in collaboration with the Deputy Regional Director, is responsible for Regional planning and strategic positioning of INTERSOS while ensuring strategic planning, implementation of identified strategies and achievement of Missions objectives occurs.
The Regional Director represents the Organisation in relation to third parties in the region of assignment on the basis of directives conferred by the Director of Programmes.
Main responsibilities and tasks
Under the supervision of the Director of Programmes and referring to the region of assignment:
- Designs strategies, defines territorial areas and sectors to be privileged, programmes and plans activities together with Deputy Regional Director;
- Develop Beirut into a fully functional Regional Hub, capable of high-level engagement within all relevant fora, in order to position INTERSOS to expand and consolidate relevant presence;
- Ensure full legal compliance in all countries of operation with particular attention to tax and residency requirements;
- In collaboration with the Deputy Regional Director guarantees the implementation of the regional strategies;
- In collaboration with the Deputy Regional Director supervises the implementation of INTERSOS programmes in the missions under his/her responsibility;
- Is responsible of the overall security in the geographic area of his/her competence and of the implementation of security protocols and policies;
- Is responsible of relations with donors, stakeholders, authorities and representatives of beneficiaries and collaborates with Heads of Mission and project leaders in the management of these relations;
- In collaboration with the Deputy Regional Director supervises the implementation of the programmes in the missions under his responsibility; projects (constraints and rules of the donors, consistency and technical methodological congruity, quality of resources, effectiveness of results efficiency);
- Supervise constraints and rules of donors ensuring consistency and technical-methodological congruity, quality of resources and effectiveness of results;
- With Deputy Regional Director and Heads of Missions, ensure application of relevant INTERSOS and donor administrative procedures for efficient and transparent management of projects, offices and countries within the Region;
- In coordination with Regional Finance Coordinator, follows up on the approval process at HQ level of project proposals before submission to the donors;
- Links with Director of Programmes and Secretary General for the approval of projects that involve a high risk in accordance with the provisions of the risk analysis;
- In collaboration with the Heads of Mission, guarantees the application of INTERSOS and donors administrative procedures for the efficient and transparent management of projects, offices and countries of his/her competence;
- In collaboration with the Human Resources Department, supervises the management of Human Resources and in particular:
- Collaborates to the recruitment of international Human Resources of the geographical area;
- Motivates, directs and supports managers and teams encouraging cohesion and motivation;
- Promotes orientation and training sessions for the operators of the region;
- Evaluates the performance of Heads of Mission and is responsible to discuss the evaluation (IRP) and the achievement of objectives;
- Supports the Heads of Mission in the evaluation process of the project leaders;
- Ensures the constant and timely sharing of information and regular communication inside the Programmes Department to facilitate the adjustment of actions referring to coordination, monitoring and control of the project activities.
Experience / Training
- Advanced university degree in Social Sciences, International Relations, NGO management, or equivalent work experience
- Field working experience of at least seven (7) years in managing humanitarian programmes with increasing responsibilities
- Able to set up new strategies, projects and tools
- Good knowledge of humanitarian architecture
- Knowledge of the humanitarian project cycle management
- Knowledge of the main humanitarian donors, with particular reference to DG ECHO, USAID and UN ways of working
- Strong computer literacy with a full knowledge of MS Office;
- English mandatory
- Arabic is a plus
- Problem solving attitude
- Good team player with strong initiative
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to adapt and work in difficult situations
- Strategic vision, leadership, people management skill
- Culturally sensitive and able to understand and work in complex contexts
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below:
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
In case you encounter severe difficulties applying through the platform, you can send an email attaching your CV and motivation letter (both in PDF version) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with subject line: “Platform issue – SR-00-1675 – Regional Director for the Middle East”.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least three references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.