Founded in 2011, the International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO) is an international charity that supports the safety of aid workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in insecure contexts. INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free services including real-time incident tracking, analytical reports, safety related data and mapping, crisis management support, staff orientations and training.
INSO services help NGOs with their day-to-day risk management responsibilities and improve their overall situational awareness to support evidence-based humanitarian access decisions.
The Organisation has grown from innovative start-up to become a globally recognised charity and a valuable component of the humanitarian safety coordination system.
Today the Organisation provides daily support to more than 930 beneficiary organisations (NGO) in some of the world’s most insecure environments and has earned a strong reputation for performance, principles & professionalism.
INSO has been registered as a charity in the Netherlands since April 2019 and its global headquarters is now based in The Hague, the international city of peace and justice.
INSO has more than 900 employees globally and in addition to its Netherlands HQ is active in 15 countries across Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Central Asia.
The Global Risk & Safety Manager will initially report to INSO’s Safety and Training Manager and will be responsible for ensuring that INSO country offices (COs) are both appropriately planned for and addressed within INSO’s Global Security Policy framework. The incumbent will monitor each CO’s compliance with INSO’s Security Policy but most importantly, s/he will be directly involved at the field level in ensuring that countries mitigate operational risks and institutionalize an organisational culture and practice of safety and security.
The position will be based at INSO’s HQ in The Hague and requires travel up to 70% of the time. This position requires fluent English and a good working knowledge of French.
The start date for the position is 1st April 2020.
Experience / Training
Strategy and Planning
* Contributes to the development of relevant INSO safety and security policies and templates.
* Participates in developing a security strategy to ensure that the operational priorities of each COs are appropriately supported.
* Manages an internal framework for monitoring accountability related to safety and security.
* Develops the culture and consistency of approach with regards to safety and security amongst INSO COs.
* Advises and contributes to CO proposals and annual plans with regards to security requirements.
Safety and Security Implementation, Compliance and Reporting
* Ensures security risk assessments, country safety and security documentation, core security standards and procedures are completed in accordance with the INSO’s Global Security Policy.
* Assesses capacity and operational gaps for each CO with regards to INSO’s Global Security Policy compliance and develops work plans to implement mitigation strategies in collaboration with country management and the Safety and Training Manager.
* Provides in-situ guidance and support to Country Offices in their development of Safety and Security Management Plans.
* Ensures that COs properly maintain up-to-date Security Plans, Standard Operating Procedures and Contingency Plans when required.
* Contributes to conducting scheduled reviews of Security Risk Assessments and assists each CO in the development of mitigation strategies that are compliant with INSO’s Global Security Policy.
* Oversees and implements actions for maintaining the security and safety of staff, premises and assets while identifying, reporting and recommending actions to COs and the SMT for addressing non-compliance with security policies, practices and procedures.
* Maintains a system for internal incident reporting to assist in organisational learning and development.
* Advises, supports and, if necessary, participates in the CO Crisis Management Team to ensure that a range of appropriate contingency plans and organisational resources are effectively allocated and activated.
* Develops a standard orientation module and oversees the effective orientation of staff in the Safety Management System.
* Advises on and oversees the production of security induction materials for each CO and monitor that staff arriving in the region are thoroughly briefed on the security situation and relevant security SOPs and protocols.
* Assists in the assessment, development and implementation of a global capacity building plan for INSO staff in the context of safety and security.
* Engages with CO staff to raise awareness of security management as per INSO’s security policies.
* Ensures that staff in each country are sufficiently trained, briefed and prepared so that they are equipped to make sensible and timely security decisions for themselves.
* Identifies, shares and facilitates access to security tools, resources and materials as well as learning and support opportunities for COs. These may include facilitating and conducting training, engaging and establishing links with other COs as well as identifying opportunities for staff exchanges or mentoring.
* The position requires an ability and willingness to travel internationally up to 70% of the time.
* Must be prepared to travel to high risk security environments at short notice.
* Will be expected to manage high stress security events.
* Flexible working hours will be expected.
* A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field from a recognised academic institution
* 5 years’ experience of working within the humanitarian sector in a safety and security role with a minimum of 3 years’ experience working directly with field-based NGOs in and on insecure/post-conflict environments
* Fluent in English and working knowledge of French (written and spoken)
* Ability to work independently to tight deadlines in difficult conditions
* Demonstrable understanding of safety discourses and dynamics as they relate to NGO operations and humanitarian coordination mechanisms
INSO’s Safeguarding Policy:
INSO is fully committed to safe recruitment, selection and vetting of all potential new staff, trustees and volunteers and we will ensure rigorous compliance with our Code of Conduct and Safeguarding policy throughout the recruitment process. As such, the following safe recruitment practices will be applied:
* All offers of employment will be conditional on receiving at least two satisfactory professional references;
* INSO will ask candidates about significant gaps in employment history or frequent changes of employer and address;
* All essential qualifications and relevant professional accreditations and memberships will be verified;
* The successful candidate will be required to provide a valid proof of identity (passport, ID card);
* All new hires will receive an orientation in INSO’s safeguarding policy and procedures and associated documents (Code of Conduct, Whistleblowing etc.);
* All new hires will be required to sign and abide by the Code of Conduct as a condition of employment.
The position will be offered on the basis of a renewable 12-month contract with a starting monthly salary of €5,000, 2.5 days of annual leave accrued per month and a discretionary monthly housing allowance of €1,500 (subject to qualification) in addition to comprehensive health insurance and USD $200,000 AD&D coverage.
Interested applicants are requested to send the following to email@example.com and reference “Global Safety and Risk Manager” in the subject line of the email. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please include the following in your application:
* Cover Letter in English specifying how you meet the mandatory requirements of the role (1-page maximum).
* An up-to-date CV (4-page maximum).
Please note that applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the position may close sooner than the advertised closing date if a suitable candidate is found. Please apply as soon as possible.
Please do not send any additional information (such as copies of certificates, copies of diplomas, other writing samples, etc.) and keep the total size of your application under 2MB if possible.
INSO is an Equal Opportunity employer