IFC recruits 01 Investment Analyst – MAS Upstream Africa
Johannesburg, South Africa
Investment Analyst – MAS Upstream Africa
Job # : req18954
Organization : IFC
Sector : Upstream
Grade : GE
Term Duration : 2 years 0 months
Recruitment Type : Local Recruitment
Location : Johannesburg,South Africa
Required Language(s) : English
Preferred Language(s) :
Closing Date : 9/18/2022 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2022, IFC committed a record $32.8 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of global compounding crises. For more information, visit www.ifc.org
IFC has embarked on an ambitious new growth strategy (IFC 3.0) to stimulate more investment activity, especially in Low Income Countries (LICs) and Fragile and Conflict affected Situations (FCS). This strategy calls for generating our own opportunities by proactively “working Upstream” to create, deepen, and expand markets and to imagine, design and implement investment projects. Working Upstream is helping to establish the conditions in a country that lead to private investments.
A main reason for a lack of private investment in many developing countries is a shortage of commercially viable investment opportunities, which dampens growth in these countries. Stimulating these opportunities requires taking a systematic approach to understanding the regulatory and sector bottlenecks that prevent the flow of private capital into productive investment in our member countries. In turn, these bottlenecks can be addressed through World Bank Group engagement on policy reforms while leveraging WBG programs and projects to develop our own proactive sector interventions and innovative project design.
IFC is seeking to hire an Investment Analyst to support Upstream work in the Africa region with a focus on one or both of the following sectors: Manufacturing, Agribusiness, and Health. The Upstream Analyst will support the development of high-quality Upstream pipeline through research, analytical and operational work.
Duties & Responsibilities :
• Provide research and analysis on relevant sectors, markets and companies, including market mapping, comparator analysis, and sector and company financial projections/models.
• Analyze historical and projected financial statements of companies within the sector to support informed decision making.
• Extract data from internal and external databases, interpret, analyze and tailor presentation of data for various audiences; update/maintain information in relevant databases.
• Review, screen and prepare relevant business documents, presentations, and reports.
• Support the Upstream team with overall project management, planning and monitoring of deliverables to ensure timely and quality delivery of the work program.
• Prepare documentation for IFC internal processes.
• Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, Economics, International Relations, Science, Engineering, or another relevant field. MBA or master’s degree preferred.
• At least 3 years work experience in banking, consulting, or another fast-paced, analytical, knowledge-based work environment.
• Attention to detail and quality, thoughtful scenario analysis, and diligence in the quality of one’s own work.
• Genuine commitment to development, the World Bank Group and IFC’s mission, strategy, and values.
• Strong analytical and conceptual skills including corporate/project finance.
• Ability to develop complex financial models.
• Advanced Excel, PowerPoint, and database skills.
• Ability to thrive under pressure and function effectively in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines, while working on multiple projects.
• Excellent teamwork skills, ability to take initiative and work across organizational boundaries.
• Ability to build relationships with counterparties (internal and external) to exchange information required for internal processes.
• Strong written and verbal communications skills in English.
• Previous experience with development finance institutions/international organizations an added advantage.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.