Humanity & Inclusion recruits 01 Global Food Security Specialist – France, Belgium, UK, Germany, USA or Canada
Place: France, Belgium or place of national association of HI (USA, Canada, UK or Germany)
Type of contract: Fixed Term Contract of 10 months with possible renewal
Starting date: As soon as possible
Closing date for applications: 22nd of November 2020
“Outraged by the injustice faced by people with disabilities and vulnerable populations,
we aspire to a world of solidarity and inclusion, enriched by our differences,
where everyone can live in dignity”
Handicap International is changing his name and becomes « Humanity & Inclusion ». HI, Humanity & Inclusion is an independent and impartial aid and development organisation with no religious or political affiliations operating in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. We work alongside people with disabilities and vulnerable people to help meet their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights.
Since the organisation was first founded in 1982, we have set up development programmes in 62 countries and responded to many emergencies. Today we have a budget of around 150 million euros, with 3500 employees worldwide.
HI is engaged in an employment policy in favour of disabled workers.
For further information about the association: www.hi.org.
As Food Security Specialist, you are a member of the Basic Needs & Economic Inclusion Unit, part of the Social & Inclusion Division.
The S&I Division is composed of 20 persons, around 6 Units: Basic Needs & Economic Inclusion (BaNEI), Inclusive Governance, Inclusive Education, Social development, and Technical Assistance for Inclusion.
The BaNEI Unit, currently composed by 6 people (one Emergency Livelihood Specialist, one Emergency Cash & Market recovery Specialist, two Economic Inclusion Specialists and one Policy Lead) including a Manager, encompasses initiatives in emergency, recovery and development settings with around 74 projects in more than 40 countries that range from WASH, emergency NFI/FI distribution, multipurpose assistance, wage to self-employment, graduation projects, economic recovery and resilience.
You will also collaborate closely with the other emergency specialists and the Emergency Division, especially with the Emergency Livelihood Specialist.
Under the responsibility of the BaNEI Unit Manager and the leadership of the Emergency Livelihood Specialist acting as Team Leader, in support of the operational teams (headquarters and field), with a strong functional link with the other specialists and the Emergency Division, you will
- support the development of HI strategy for the Food Security sector in humanitarian response (with a strong focus on food assistance for the first 6 months of the contract)
- be in charge of developing and framing the approach and tools related to the implementation of food security activities in humanitarian responses, as well as providing technical support for the proper implementation of field projects.
- have a strong professional relationship with the Emergency Division team: participation to the working groups, contribution to the response strategy among others
This is a fixed term position in order to support HI response to COVID-19 and its impact on Food Security with possibility of renewal according to needs.
Your main mission will be to support HI and its country programs in the design and implementation of food assistance activities
In this part your main tasks will be to:
- Develop, frame and disseminate strategy, professional approaches, know-how, positioning and interventions for the Food Security sector. The focus will be first on food assistance in humanitarian context delivered through various modalities (cash, vouchers and in-kind), especially in the context of COVID-19 impact but you will also ensure sectorial watch, harnessing and appropriation of norms and international standards internally. Participate in developing guidance for different intervention modalities and ensure dissemination
- Provide technical and methodological support to Food Security projects implemented by field teams (with a focus on the current Covid-19 response). You will also be in charge of ensuring the inter-field and global technical coherence of the interventions, through field missions, regular distance exchanges, training facilitation, technical coaching, etc.
- In coordination with the technical specialists carrying out HI’s other sectors of intervention in a humanitarian context (Physical and functional rehabilitation, Mental Health &Psychosocial, Protection, Inclusion, Shelter, Atlas Logistique etc…), you develop holistic and inclusive approach to respond to food needs of populations affected by a crisis with particular attention to vulnerable people and people with disabilities;
- Contribute to the capitalization of experience through the development of lessons learnt, research and innovation projects on Food Security when relevant, in order to ensure technical learning and promote best practices. Identify strategic learning questions.
- In support of the BaNEI Unit Manager and the Team Leader and in links with the Policy Lead, ensure internal and external representation on Food Security expertise. You will be involved in various external technical networks and, if necessary, ensure the link with other actors in the humanitarian response.
- You hold a University Degree in Economics, Food Sciences, International Relations, Development studies or related field
- You have at least 5 years of experience in the implementation of Food Security projects in humanitarian/ development contexts (designing and conducting household socio-economic vulnerability analysis, food security and market assessments, Emergency Food assistance, Cash and Voucher assistance….)
- You know writing and supporting the implementation of policy/strategic guidance as well as tools development
- You have a very good understanding of the humanitarian context (standards, stakeholders, mechanisms)
- You are familiar with intercultural participatory approaches.
- you have good communication skills and able to interact with people from different cultures; you are flexible, patient and not afraid to evolve in a changing environment
- You are flexible and available for field missions
- You are Fluent in English with basic level of French. Other languages (especially Spanish and Arabic) are a plus
CONDITIONS OF THE POSITION:
- Type of contract : Fixed Term Contract of 12 months with a possible renewal
Only online by joining a CV and cover letter via the following link: