HI recruits 01 Inclusive humanitarian action headquarter specialist – Preferably European country based
Place: Preferably European country based; with frequent travel worldwide
Type of contract: Open Ended Contract
Starting date: As soon as possible
Closing date for applications: 8th of December 2021
“Outraged by the injustice faced by people with disabilities and vulnerable populations, we aspire to a world of solidarity and inclusion, enriched by our differences, where everyone can live in dignity”
Humanity & Inclusion (HI) is an independent and impartial aid and development organisation with no religious or political affiliations operating in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. We work alongside people with disabilities and vulnerable people to help meet their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights.
Since the organisation was first founded in 1982, we have set up development programmes in more than 60 countries and responded to many emergencies. Today we have a budget of around 150 million euros, with 3500 employees worldwide.
The HI network is an organisation made up of a Federation (with 2 operational HQs in Lyon and Brussels), 8 national associations (Germany, Belgium, Canada, United States, France, Luxembourg, United Kingdom and Switzerland) and the HI Institute on Humanitarian Action. All these entities work concertedly to implement HI’s international aid and development mandate.
The Federation is responsible for implementing the network’s social missions in around sixty countries. It operates under the names “Humanity & Inclusion” or “Handicap International” depending on the country.
The national associations are known as “Handicap International” in continental Europe (Belgium, France, Germany, Luxembourg, and Switzerland) and “Humanity & Inclusion” in Canada, United Kingdom and United States. Each association has its own board of trustees.
HI is engaged in an employment policy in favour of disabled workers.
For further information about the association: www.hi.org
You will join the Governance and Inclusive Humanitarian Action unit within the Protection & Risk Reduction Department.
The unit, leaded by a dedicated manager, consists of 8 staff members, of which three support inclusive humanitarian action, two support inclusive governance and three work on dedicated projects.
The team members are located across the USA, Canada, France, Belgium and Germany.
This position of Global Inclusive humanitarian Action Specialist is a dynamic, creative, structured and bilingual (English/French or English/Spanish) position. You will be part of an established multicultural team and will provide strategic and technical support to field programmes, contribute to technical capacity development on inclusive humanitarian action, engage global initiatives, partnerships, working groups and fora on inclusive humanitarian action, and participate in developing new project opportunities.
This position is a replacement of a departing employee.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES & TASKS:
In line with HI’s federal strategy, a four-year technical strategy specific to inclusive humanitarian action has been developed, which will need to be monitored and adapted over the coming period.
The strategy focuses on the following areas:
- Capacity development initiatives to promote and support the empowerment of persons with disabilities and organizations of persons with disabilities to participation meaningfully and equitably in emergency preparedness and humanitarian response.
- Strengthening data, evidence and learnings on disability inclusive humanitarian action
- Engagement with humanitarian and coordination actors to support their capacity development in inclusive humanitarian action.
In addition to the close collaboration expected within the unit, particularly on the “Triple Nexus” approaches, strategic and operational synergies in HI humanitarian programming (in various sectors of HI field interventions, i.e. Water Sanitation Hygiene, protection, livelihood, …) will be prioritized to maximize the impact of our efforts. The provided project support includes the field roll out of HI “Disability Gender and Age policy” and the related concepts linked to the intersectionality of exclusion and discriminatory factors
- Contribute to the improvement of technical know-how in your sector through the development of lessons learnt, research and innovation projects when relevant
- Set and enforce norms and standards in your technical sector
- Monitor and control the technical quality and relevance of HI activities in your portfolio of countries
- Facilitate the professional development of your sector
- Contribute to the international acknowledgment of HI work by promoting technical excellence
- Contribute to the development of major projects in your field of action.
Within the inclusive humanitarian action framework, with the support of the unit manager, in close collaboration & coordination with the other specialists, your main responsibilities will be to:
- Support the definition and effective implementation of HI technical frameworks, standards and approaches (app. 65%)
- Provide technical support to partners and technical field teams in developing their capacity and strengthening the quality and impact of HI projects (app. 25%)
- You hold a Postgraduate degree in a field related to disability studies, Social Work/ Community Development, Sociology, Human rights, Occupation Therapist, Gender Studies, Humanitarian Response and/or any other relevant training related to the expected expertise.
- You have at least 5 years of experiences working in disability inclusion, including a significant international work experience in several low – middle income countries, including or plus three years of experience in humanitarian emergency settings..
- You have relevant experience providing technical support/ capacity development to humanitarian actors, networks and coordination systems.
- You have good knowledge of the conceptual frameworks (disability inclusion, inclusive humanitarian action, human rights, international cooperation mechanisms, gender and intersectionality…).
- You have experience in working in constructive partnerships with organizations of persons with disabilities and other humanitarian actors.
- You demonstrate an ability to build and/or strengthen capacities, coach and lead effective change management processes
- You have good analytical, negotiation & representation skills
- You are well organized and able to collaborate with a multidisciplinary team & demonstrate an ability to work and support projects remotely
- You are familiar with developing and supporting strategic guidance as well as technical tools.
- You have good communication skills and are able to interact with people from different cultures and backgrounds; you are flexible, patient and attracted by changing environments (short field missions are expected)
- Successful experiences with HI would be an asset as a first work experience in a Headquarter
- You are fluent in English and have a high level of French (both orally and in writing) – (please note that English is the working language within the team) – Spanish is a plus
CONDITIONS OF THE POSITION:
- Type of contract : Open ended Contract
- Additional benefits depending of the location
Please apply (by sending your cv and cover letter) by the following link: