Handicap International recrute 01 AVR Specialist – YEMEN
|Place: Aden with travel to bases in Mokha, Hajjah and HudaydahDuration of contract: 12 months||Starting date: 15/06/2023Closing date for applications: 25/05/2023|
Handicap International/Humanity & Inclusion (HI) is an independent and impartial international solidarity organization, which intervenes in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflicts and disasters. Working alongside people with disabilities and vulnerable populations, it acts and speaks out to meet their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights. More info: www.hi.org
At Handicap International-Humanity & Inclusion, we truely believe in the importance of inclusion and diversity within our organisation. This is why we are engaged to a disability policy to encourage the inclusion and integration of people with disabilities.
Please indicate if you require any special accommodation, even at the first interview.
HI have been intervening in Yemen on and off for the last 12 years, with its actions initially focused on development issues, notably through the support to the development of physical and functional rehabilitation services for people with disabilities as well as through the capacity-building of the national networks of Yemen Disabled People’s Organisations (DPOs).
Since 2015, HI interventions have been adapted to the current context of conflict in Yemen. With the support of different donors, HI has been supporting two hospitals and one physical and functional rehabilitation centre in Sana’a City, building the capacities of their key staff in early rehabilitation care and psychological first aid (including specifically for children), supplying rehabilitation equipment, and directly providing functional rehabilitation care and psychosocial support to war affected people (including through the donation of assistive devices and provision of Prosthesis). In 2017, these activities have extended to new facilities in and around Sana’a.
In parallel, HI implements inclusive humanitarian action, by increasingly piloting inclusive interventions and promoting disability inclusive coordination and programming through the coordination system and the inclusion task force, and technical support and capacity development to UN agencies, NGO’s and increasingly networks and focal points of persons with disabilities and awareness raising activity with communities.
HI activities are very consolidated in Sana’a governorate, Aden, which opened in 2019, and Mokha, which started implementing in 2020. Activities in Hajjah have been launched early 2022, and Hodeida activities are expected to start in 2022.
Under the responsibility of the Technical Head of Program, the AVR Specialist contributes to implementing mandate and ten years strategy of Humanity & Inclusion. He/she will ensure that the quality and impact of the AVR projects developed and implemented in Yemen are optimised through appropriate control mechanisms. He(she) shares with all HI managers the responsibility for sound management and good functioning of the global organisation through paradigm shifts.
The AVR Specialist will be responsible for providing technical support to ongoing projects and ensuring quality according to sector standards and good practices. Thus, he/she will strategically support the second pillar of the STRATOP comprising comprehensive Armed Violence Reduction Activities, including land release in an integrated approach, inclusive risk education, and victim assistance specific efforts in line with AVR STRATECH in the project areas.
He/she will also be responsible for actively participating in the development of new AVR projects, mainly in Risk Education (RE), Land Release, Small Arms Light Weapons, Victim Assistance Specific Efforts, Technical assistance to national actors.
He/she will also actively participate in optimising HI’s AVR strategy in the mission and developing and implementing multi-sectoral projects involving AVR:
1: STRATEGY DEVELOPMENT
2: TECHNICAL SUPPORT
3: RESEARCH AND ANALYSIS
4: COORDINATION AND REPRESENTATION
5: BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT
7: CAPACITY BUILDING AND SUPPORT TO LOCAL AND STATE CAPACITIES:
8: IMPROVED SAFETY
9 : VICTIM ASSISTANCE
10 : CONFLICT TRANSFORMATION
11 : ADVOCACY
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE POSITION:
The expatriate is expected to travel between HI bases (Aden, Mokha and Hajjah). In the four locations, shared guesthouses well equipped with a safe room, most of the work is done at the office but there are some possibilities to go out for work purposes. Outside movements are possible for some extra professional activities in Sanaa and Aden. All movements are done by car. HI has set-up a curfew. The situation is relatively calm in Sana’a and Hajjah nowadays. However, the security is volatile in southern areas.
The mission has put in place adequate security rules and process to allow team to work in safe environment. Despite the country situation, risk for expatriate remain limited and no critical incident happened over the past period.
Local medical capacity remains a concern for person with fragile heath, ongoing treatment and that need close medical follow up.
Dress code: Men will be required to wear long pants and at least a short sleeved shirt. Women are required to wear the abaya and hijab (head scarf) outside of the compound. For female staff in the office, appropriate attire includes long pants, and long sleeve shirts.
Expériences / Formation
- You hold a Master degree in Social Science/ International Relations/Community development : or relevant field
- You have a minimum of seven years of experience in providing technical support and strategic guidance in minimum two-three pillars of the Armed Violence Reduction Programming (RE, VA, Survey, clearance, conflict transformation) and advocacy in low to middle income countries & experience working as technical Project implementer
- Proven experience in strengthening the capacities of National Mine Action authorities or national operators and coordination with Mine Action operators/stakeholders
- You know how to give and receive constructive feedback; discussing with multi-disciplinary teams, working as part of a network and collaborating
- You have strong networking skills and ability to coordinate with multi-stakeholders and partners
At HI, the conditions offered are up to your commitment and adapted to the context of your mission. https://hi.org/en/join-the-team
- 12 months International contract starting asap
- The international contract provides social cover adapted to your situation:
- Unemployment insurance benefits for EU nationals
- Pension scheme
- Medical coverage with 50% of employee contribution
- Repatriation insurance paid by HI
- Salary from 2’757 € gross/month upon experience
- Perdiem: 76 € net/month – paid in the field
- Hardship: 500 € net/month paid with your salary
- Paid leaves: 25 days per year;
- R&R: 7days every 8 weeks with transport/package support.
- Position unaccompanied
- Payment for travel costs (air ticket & visa) and transport of your personal effects
- a child allowance of 100€ per month, per child (from the second child) paid in the field
- Housing: Collective taken in charge by HI
Only online by joining a CV and cover letter via the following link:
Applications will be processed on an ongoing basis, don’t wait for applying!
Only successful candidates will be contacted.