Handicap International recruits 01 Project Manager Victim Assistance and Risk Education
Handicap International is changing his name and becomes « Humanity & Inclusion ». HI, Humanity & Inclusion is an independent and impartial aid and development organisation with no religious or political affiliations operating in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. We work alongside people with disabilities and vulnerable people to help meet their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights.
Since the organisation was first founded in 1982, we have set up development programmes in 62 countries and responded to many emergencies. Today we have a budget of around 150 million euros, with 3500 employees worldwide.
HI is engaged in an employment policy in favour of disabled workers.
For further information about the association: www.hi.org.
JOB CONTEXT :
In Iraq, HI has been registered and operational in the Kurdish Region of Iraq (KRI) since 1991, implementing development programming in the governorates of Dohuk, Erbil, Sulaymaniya and Halabja, in order to advocate for the rights of persons with disabilities and improve their access to services through support to Disabled Persons Organizations (DPOs). Since 2014, HI has scaled up its intervention in Iraq to respond to the humanitarian needs generated by the capture of territory by the IS-group, subsequent military operations and the widespread displacement of Iraqi populations. HI has become a lead implementing agency in the emergency response in the Health and Protection sectors, operating across Ninewa, Kirkuk, Baghdad, Sulemaniya and Diyala Governorates.
In line with HI Iraq’s Operational Strategy for the period 2017-2020, the global objective of HI programming in Iraq is to enhance the protection and resilience of conflict-affected communities in Iraq; an objective achieved through an operational framework of three central pillars:
1- Arms Risk Reduction: Reduce the impact of the Conventional Weapon (CW) and Improvised Explosive Devices (IED) for conflict-affected populations through Risk Education and land release
2- Health: Improve access to specific services for the most vulnerable people whose physical and functional and/or psychological integrity is compromised, through the provision of physical rehabilitation and Mental Health/Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) services
3- Access to Essential Services: Ensure equal access to essential services, protection and basic needs for all conflict-affected populations, including persons with disabilities
These pillars are complemented by three cross-cutting themes: a comprehensive approach to mine action, inclusion mainstreaming, and protection mainstreaming
Kirkuk is the biggest project of Iraq Mission active in almost all HMA components under of Protection, Health and Livelihoods Clusters. Our interventions spread to all districts of Kirkuk Governorate mainly in District Hawija, Daquq and Kirkuk. By the support of local partners (local administrative authorities, municipalities, Directorate of Health, Education and Mine Action) HI is supporting IDPs, returnees and local communities in…
- Improved access to and quality of physical / functional rehabilitation and mental health services through enhanced technical expertise, training, advocacy, referral systems and victim and accident information management.
- Improved safe access of local communities to land released through the reduction of the threat posed by Explosive Ordnance including IEDs
- Increased awareness of the population on the risks and threats posed by Explosive Ordnance including IEDs through Risk Education
- Civil society engagement, advocacy, development and inclusion services
Reporting to the Area Manager, as Project Manager, you will contribute to the implementation of the mandate and the 10-year strategy of Humanity & Inclusion in the country where you are based. You ensure optimal quality and impact of the project implemented in the country by means of a delegation system with appropriate control mechanisms.
You will be responsible of :
1: Team Management
2: Implementation & Monitoring
– You provide the technical expertise for your project,
– You help to coordinate technical professional development and facilitate a community of practice, in collaboration with Technical Unit
– You prepare and steer project evaluation and capitalization
4: Influence & Communication :
– You contribute to HI’s external influence by participating in relevant networks, meetings groups, dedicated Clusters and working groups, INGOs and UN agencies, where needed
– You manage and communicate relationships with technical authorities, local partners, or other stakeholders
– You contribute to enhance HI’s vision and objectives through project level advocacy
5: Strategy & Business Development
– You contribute to programme or country operational strategy (STRAT-OP), on drafting of new proposals for new opportunities or for the continuity or expansion of the project.
Details relating to security risks, isolation, travel and living conditions:
1- Insecurity in Kirkuk governorate, mainly due to criminal activity, presence of armed groups in the outskirts particularly Daquq and Hawija district. Security and contingency plans in place to minimize risks and impact of incidents. There has been increasing trend of ISIS activities like IEDs, SAF, coordinated attacks on security forces in month of April and May however the trend has been declined again from last week of May 2020.
2- Restricted movement in Kirkuk town and curfew in place. Pre validated locations in place Field support to program activities, security permitting with phone and GPS tracking procedures in place for all the movements
3- There is a well-equipped Guesthouse in Kirkuk with a small but active humanitarian community and some facilities available such as gym and easy access to shops, good internet connection and satellite TV.
Experience / Training
- You hold a degree in International, Relations, Humanitarian Project Management, Health Economics, Social, conflict sensitivity or Health Sciences….
- You have a minimum of 4 years of experience of multi sector & grants project management at international assignments in humanitarian / emergency contexts. An previous experience
- An experience in Victim assistance or/and Risk education area would be an asset
- You are able to work under pressure and without constant supervision
- You have excellent communication and negotiation skills
- You are used to work with multi-disciplinary teams, working as part of a network and collaborating
- You are fluent in English (oral and written), Arabic would be an asset
- Salary from 2214€ gross/month regarding the experience of the candidate
- Perdiem allowances : 530 € (net)
- Hardship allowance : 500 € (net)
- Insurances: health coverage, planning, repatriation, retirement (if senior volunteer).
- Paid holiday : 25 days per year
- R&R : 5 days every 3 months
- Status : position open to unaccompanied
- Housing : Collective taken in charge by HI