German Bundestag International Parliamentary Scholarship 2018 (Fully-funded to Berlin)
Deadline: July 31, 2018
Would you like to work at the German Parliament? The German Bundestag International Parliamentary Scholarship 2018 is open for applications.
If you are from Central, Eastern or South Eastern Europe, France, Israel, North America or the Arab region, then the International Parliamentary Scholarship (IPS) at the German Bundestag could give you the opportunity to experience how the Bundestag works over the course of five months, with three of these spent working in a Member’s office.
Each year, the German Bundestag, in cooperation with the Freie Universität Berlin, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin and the Technische Universität Berlin, offers around 120 scholarships to young university graduates from 42 countries. The programme runs each year from 1 March to 31 July.
The IPS programme involves a number of special events, seminars and a work placement with a Member of the German Bundestag. At the start of the programme, participants receive an introduction to the local academic life from the three Berlin universities, along with an insight into the parliamentary work from the Bundestag Administration.
The programme aims to:
- promote relations between Germany and the participating countries
- consolidate democratic values and tolerance
- deepen understanding of cultural diversity
- secure peaceful coexistence in the world.
- The scholarship: The scholarship includes a monthly payment of 500 euros, free accommodation, and health, accident and liability insurance. It also covers the cost of travel to and from Berlin. The International Parliamentary Scholarship programme is funded by the German Bundestag.
- Placement with a Member of the Bundestag: The placement consists of a full-time position in a Member’s office, giving participants the opportunity to get to know the various tasks carried out there. They are expected to play an active role, including producing in-depth reports, drafting speeches, articles and letters, preparing meetings and carrying out secretarial tasks. In addition, the participants accompany their Members to meetings of the committees, parliamentary groups and other bodies and gain an insight into Parliament’s internal functioning, systems and procedures. The programme also includes a visit to the Member’s constituency.
- Events at universities and political foundations: Participants are enrolled as students at the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlinfor the summer semester and, if they wish, as guest students at one of the other universities. They are able to take up to two courses at the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin or one of the city’s other universities during the semester. In addition, they take part in an accompanying academic programme from the Freie Universität, the Humboldt-Universität and the Technische Universität.
Scholarship participants also receive an introduction to Germany’s political, economic and cultural life via seminars held by the political foundations.
The IPS is open to well-qualified and highly motivated young people who are open to new ideas, interested in politics, and wish to play an active and responsible role in shaping the democratic future of their country.
- Citizenship of a participating country (dual nationality is permitted)
- University degree
- Very good knowledge of the German language
- Under 30 years old at the start of the scholarship
Successful candidates will be chosen based on their professional, social, language and intercultural skills by an independent selection panel set up by the German Bundestag with the involvement of the Berlin universities.
The participating countries include: Egypt, Albania, Algeria, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Estonia, France, Georgia, Greece, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Canada, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Croatia, Latvia, Lebanon, Libya, Lithuania, Morocco, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Moldavia, Montenegro, Palestinian territories, Poland, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Syria, Czech Republic, Turkey, Tunisia, Ukraine, Hungary, USA, Cyprus.
Further information on how to apply can be found here